Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TBI Injectors keep spitting gas,HELP!!!=(

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
TBI Injectors keep spitting gas,HELP!!!=(

HELP!!! PLEEEEASE IM DROWNING =( in gas that is

Something is wrong with my engine or tbi? I just replaced the starter today after it went out. After I installed my starter. it started right up and was happy I cured the problem . Then it started to sputter and the injectors started to throw enourmous amounts of gasoline into the throttle body barrels and it took about 5 seconds to fully turn off after I removed the key from the ignition. Also at idle it shakes and it feels like it's going to turn off sometimes, I just had the timing done at 0. so the timing is correct, but something is forcing the right injector to throw large amounts of gas in. With this being my only car and gas prices as high as they are now im ready to give up on this car unless one of you can save me!! I took it to a mechanic and he said it's probably the fuel pump or fuel pump regulator.... but he didnt check the codes? and I had another mechanic check the codes but he said he would have to correct all the "backyard mechanic" work electrical (engine compartment) done to the car in order to determine the problem and solution.

What should I do? anyone have any experiance on this or any suggestions please? I need this car as it is my only form of transportation.

Symptoms:
.Injectors throwing out too much gas
.After key is removed from ignition, engine takes up to 5 seconds to fully shut off and trembles as it shuts off making a loud shhhhhh noise from the TBI unit
.At idle vehicle feels like its about to shut off, at times
.At random, the car stalls and randomly after key is turned to engage full initiation of engine, attempt/s are not successful
.After successful start of engine sometimes pressure has to be put on the accelerator to keep it running and RPMS wont fall to a stall

Any takers?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:26 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
What are the codes? That gives an idea of what to consider.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Supreme Member

I forgot, but there was on that had to do with voltage that went to the fuel pump....
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 PM

Car: '86 IROC, black and sharp
Engine: 305 tpi, bone stock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 pos w/rear db
Had a similar problem with my son's '91 RS when we first got it running (305 TBI). Gas poured out of one of the two injectors from the time the key was turned on until few seconds after the key was turned off. Bad O-ring in the bottom of the injector allowed gas to spray out whenever the fuel system was pressurized by the fuel pump. Rebuilt the injectors and no more problems (rough idle, almost stalling, running extremely rich - made your eyes burn after a few minutes). Check out the o-rings in the bottom/inside of the injectors.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Z's r Best
Had a similar problem with my son's '91 RS when we first got it running (305 TBI). Gas poured out of one of the two injectors from the time the key was turned on until few seconds after the key was turned off. Bad O-ring in the bottom of the injector allowed gas to spray out whenever the fuel system was pressurized by the fuel pump. Rebuilt the injectors and no more problems (rough idle, almost stalling, running extremely rich - made your eyes burn after a few minutes). Check out the o-rings in the bottom/inside of the injectors.
thanks, me and a friend determined it, it was the injectors. Im going to get new injectors.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

The problem is now worse. Today I bought 2 sets of Injector O rings thinking that was the problem, so I opened up the top part of the TBI unit to take out the injectors and found that the lower O ring was kinda melted off so I took that out and put a new o ring on the left injector which is the one which keeps spitting out gas. So I put everything back and started her up and this time it thumped like it was a 60s VW beetle real hard and started pouring out gas in different directions, so I did the same thing again and removed the injector and re installed it, put everything back and did the same thing I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the RPMS from stalling. This engine is now giving me so much trouble that now I have no choice but to convert the entire engine and computer to a LT1 set up, LT1 SWAP is now under serious and final consideration and with $1300.00 to spend now is the time to do so, I was going to wait and mod the LT1 but I need the swap ASAP, as for the 305 it will most likely be blown up to smithereens by me, for giving me so many head aches and embarssing moments. Thank you all for giving me your input. I was actually thinking about selling the car but I didnt think that would be right, I would rather just swap the engine and computer, I will be using the same transmission and rear end until funds allow me to do so.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:39 PM

I would sell the 305 in the paper, round here you can get $300-400 easy for any small block chevy... Don't blow it up
Old 05-25-2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Psycho_91Camaro
so I did the same thing again and removed the injector and re installed it, put everything back and did the same thing .
Did you:Clean the bores,lubricate the o-rings,use new back up washers,put a new gasket under the metering lid after THOROUGH cleaning?
Old 02-05-2023, 11:57 AM

Re: TBI Injectors keep spitting gas,HELP!!!=(

Just to put an updated answer here for others since this thread is really old, currently 2023 and had the same issues where the injectors spray fuel non stop with only ignition turned on. (Engine not running)
Which the prior repair to the vehicle was about 3 years ago in which I purchased a cheap distributor which resolve the issue of being able to install a new rotor on the shaft.. Fast Forward to this issue finding this thread on the limited amount of search results for this issue..

My Answer to this issue:
The ignition module was pulled and tested at Oriellys (believe it or not they can test those) and it came back as bad, which was surprising since the vehicle would start and run and drive decent however the starting sequence was sketchy due to the full injector spraying issue (which also produced a weird clicking that I neve heard before)
I bought a new ignition module and installed and the problem was resolved. So to future me's with this issue pull it and go have it tested.. pretty easy to pull and cost nothing to have it tested.