Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! My camaro won't start!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! My camaro won't start!

Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance!

My 91 RS won't start. I put in the key, turn it, I hear the fuel pump, then i go to start it, and nothing happens. Im not sure, but sometimes I think i hear a slight slight click....but like i said im not sure. I just replaced the battery and the starter.The battery is charged ( i checked) and the starter is good ( i jumped it). Any suggestions?

Someone suggested the theft deterrent (starter enabling) relay.....but I cant find tis location in the car. Does anyone know where it is??

thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Car: 84, 99 Trans Am
Engine: 305 G, LS1
Re: HELP! My camaro won't start!

does the engine make any sound like attempting to start or does it not even crank over?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM

it doesn't make any noise....
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Car: 84, 99 Trans Am
Engine: 305 G, LS1

sounds like something with the ignition. i have a carb so mines a little easier to deal with. I think you can have the ignition module checked at a local parts store. I'm just not sure where yours is located at. It may have gone out or loose connection to the ignition area. Sorry If I'm not much help. i understand how annoying it can be trying to get things going. The problems never seem to end. good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 AM

No, you helped! Thanks a lot....i just had her towed hopefully my mechanic will figure it out...he's pretty good. I'll keep you updated!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

I wouldn't worry about the ignition module, lack of spark doesn't seem to be the problem here if it isn't even cranking. It's most likely a bad starter solenoid, ignition switch, or connection between the two somewhere. On the other hand if the security light is coming on while attempting to crank it's somewhere in the vats system.

Edit: Just reread the first post, ok starter solenoid is out of the equation, I think the question to ask would be is the security light on while you're attemtping to crank? If you still had the car I'd suggest trying another key to start it.. I've actually had the resistors in the keys go bad and cause the same problem, sometimes they are just dirty and you can clean them up with a pencil eraser.

Last edited by 89RsPower!; 06-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"

Won't the security light stay on if the key is faulty?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM

My 91 camaro fan stopped workign and i had antifreeze spewing out of the over flow, i turned the car off, replaced the fuse for the fan and tried to turn the car on, turned it to start and nothing, the lights come on, but nothing else can someone tell me if this is similar to your problem or how i can get my car running again?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM

The relay is supposed to be left side around the fuse panel. Try looking there.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 5 speed

I have a 92 camaro rs... I havnt been able to start the car.. When i tray to start her the noise she makes is as if the battery where low.. I changed out the batter changed the starter aand alternator.. Still the same problem.. The volt meter reads perfect foltage at 13 and the CCA is at 560 which is still good.. The mechanic said i need a bigger battery with high CCA but she started fine before i dont know why now i need higher CCA to start the car.. When i turn the key the starter rumbles as if she had a dead baterry but a strong rumble.... Any suggestions????
Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you aren't getting enough voltage to the starter. I had this problem and found it by jumping (or hotwiring) power from the battery to the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid. I just shaved a little insulation off the purple wire to make a contact.

I think there's a couple things between the key ignition and the starter solenoid that can be worn out and not allow proper voltage. I didn't bother figuring it out since I just installed a push button start instead.
The following users liked this post:
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 PM

What exactly signals the ecm that everything is okay to fire the injectors? i have a 91 T/A and it won't start cold unless i spray fuel into the intake. then it run for about 20-25 minutes, then stalls, won't restart after. Cranks, but won't start, and the injectors won't fire. Any Ideas?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by moosefx
I have a 92 camaro rs... I haven't been able to start the car.. When i tray to start her the noise she makes is as if the battery where low.. I changed out the batter changed the starter and alternator.. Still the same problem.. The volt meter reads perfect voltage at 13 and the CCA is at 560 which is still good.. The mechanic said i need a bigger battery with high CCA but she started fine before i dont know why now i need higher CCA to start the car.. When i turn the key the starter rumbles as if she had a dead battery but a strong rumble.... Any suggestions????
Sounds like a bad starter.. or Solenoid. does it make the clicking noise of the solenoid engaging the bendix, but not turning over the motor?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:43 AM
Supreme Member

You quoted him stating he swapped the starter.

Its also been two months....

"the noise she makes is as if the battery where(were) low"-I'm assuming that means just a click, which means it is getting some power. To restate myself, it sounds like the exact same problem I had. I tested it by jumping straight battery power to the purple starter solenoid wire. This will engage the starter and turn the engine. It must've been a bad connection somewhere under the dash......no thank you and I installed a push button start.

Junky, as far as your problem, my first guess would be a malfunction of the extra/cold start injector or a faulty coolant temp sensor (the one on the intake sending the signal to the ecm, not the gauge). It informs the ecm that the engine is cold and needs extra fuel. I seem to recall that not all TPI motors had a cold start injector though. Extra fuel is added through all of the injectors, the most popular method for almost all cars. However, the stalling issue after 20-25 minutes cannot be related to cold start fuel enrichment.

I'm thinking maybe the fuel filter or bad fuel tank vent? I'm not too confident in that theory, but I have heard of this problem a few times before. I'm sure if you search this forum, you will find something.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Another 91 rs 305 that won't start. car had been sitting in garage for 8 months. decided to take her out. ran fine then 1 day it back fired and spudder to a stop. restarted fine. again spuddered a few blocks down and finely it decided it was fine and drove fine full power. then a week later of driving it decided to just stall out and would restart but it still tried fire so doing the side off the road checks I decided to remove cap and seen that the car should have never been running really by the looks of cap and rotor. thinking new cap and rotor would solve my prob. but it didnt. i have spark my coil (dont know how much used test light) but I dont have power at the end of spark plug wire or wire connection on top of cap. so is it safe to think its the module? left out that at first after stalling it tried to fire but then soon it was not firing at all. then i replaced cap and rotor.

Last edited by topdog21; 10-06-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm having a similar problem with my 88 camero. It starts sometimes and when it does it dies soon after. I know its not the fuel pump because I just replaced it. I have no idea what it could be now if anyone has an idea let me know. Aslo its not the starter because I replaced that aslo.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Does it have a security key?
If it does it could be the vats security feature
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I have a 1991 camaro rs. i was driving down the interstate and it shut off. normally it does that when its low on gas and i hit a turn or slow down. but obviously that wasnt it. I pulled over to restart it and the battery died within about 5 seconds. it never went completely out but the headlights were very dim. i put a battery charger on it over night and its still not doin anything. when i turn the key on all it does is have the check engine light really dim and blinking and the infl res light also is dim. what could this be?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

keithcrow01, have your battery tested and clean and securely fasten your battery terminals. If the problem perssits, check the connections at the starter and the battery ground cable to the engine. Also check cables for damage or breaks.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks ASE doc. I went to advance auto parts and got a new battery. When I installed it it fired right up. But oddly i took the terminal off and it died. but i know the alternator is charging or it wouldnt be running this long. Ive ran my headlights and everything for a couple of days and its still fine. Im wondering if either the goofs that had the car bypassed the alternator and put it on secondary wires to where it charges the battery but wont support the engine, or possibly its charging but not enough to keep the car running without the battery.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Actually, testing newer alternators by removing the batt cable is a good way to take out the solid state regulator built into the alternator. You always want to test charge voltage with a voltmeter. If you want to test the alt's current output, use a charge system tester.

At this point I suggest you use a volt meter to verify 14v at the battery with the engine running. If you don't have 14v, use a test light to verify power on all wires going to the alternator with the engine off. If any of the wires dont have 12v, find out why and fix it. If all wires have 12v, and there is not 14v at the battery with engine running, remove the alternator and have it tested.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS camaro
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: peg leg for now

I have a 91 RS. I changed out the steering column recently due to worn out tilt pins. Now, I can turn the key and the lights come on, the radio plays the turn signals work. When I try to start nothing happens, no click , nothing. I can hear the fuel pump come on. I tried my spare key (vats) same thing. I check voltage on the crank fuse and I get no voltage.
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

I need you to clarify what fuse your testing. There is no crank fuse. When you replaced the colunm, did you disconnect the VATS wire harnes to the ignition cylinder? Its two small wires. They may have been damaged during the repair.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Car: 1991 RS camaro
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: peg leg for now

The fuse in the fuse block says CRANK. 5amp. I replaced the key from the replacement column with my original key. yes I did connect the wires. I have visually checked surrounding wires and I don't see any pulled loose or pinched.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Car: Camaro
Engine: MPFI 2.8L V6

i have a 86 2.8L V6 MPFI camaro, sometimes when i go to start it it wont turn over...at all. no clicking no noise.... i just bought a New battery for it. and i was thinking it has somthing to do with my ignition coil/moduel. any tips/ideas. id really appreciate it!!!!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Car: 1987 camaro lt
Engine: soon 383

Originally Posted by dewfamily
I have a 91 RS. I changed out the steering column recently due to worn out tilt pins. Now, I can turn the key and the lights come on, the radio plays the turn signals work. When I try to start nothing happens, no click , nothing. I can hear the fuel pump come on. I tried my spare key (vats) same thing. I check voltage on the crank fuse and I get no voltage.
it sounds like your Ignition Switch that is on your steering column is out of wack and need adjusting.. mine is slightly off and will not start if the tilt is all the way up.one day ill fix that lol
TWON_3rdGEN (01-11-2020)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 Throttle Body Injection
Transmission: Turbo-Hydramatic 700R4 four-speed

my camaro was doing the same thing. it's the starter solinoid. buy a new starter with a life time warranty, put it in, try it out.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Car: Camaro
Engine: MPFI 2.8L V6

Originally Posted by houseumbrella
my camaro was doing the same thing. it's the starter solinoid. buy a new starter with a life time warranty, put it in, try it out.
ur camaros starter wont turn? and u just repaced it? it fixed the problem?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

The ignition coil has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Power in the start circuit runs from the battery directly to the solenoid. The solenoid also acts as a relay, controlling battery power to the starter motor. Activation of the solenoid is controlled by the ignition switch, through the PRNDL switch if it's an automatic trans, or the Clutch safety switch if it's a manual trans.

Use a test light to look for 12v on the purple wire at the solenoid while a helper tries to crank the motor. If you have 12v at the purple wire and no crank, check the battery cables and connections. If all cables and connections are okay, have the starter tested and replace it if it tests bad.

If no power at the purple wire in "start", try moving the shift lever from Park to Neutral and continue trying to crank engine. On a manual trans car, try working the clutch pedal while trying to crank engine. If engine cranks while working the clutch pedal or by moving the shift lever, replace PRNDL or clutch safety switch.

If no power to purple wire at starter, test for power at the PRNDL or Clutch safety switch. In both cases, the circuit from the ignition switch is the large yellow wire. The circuit out to the starter is the same large purple wire you tested at the starter.

If you find no power at the PRNDL or Clutch safety switch, test for power on the large yellow wire at the Ignition switch. If no power at the ign sw, test for power to the switch on each of the large red wires. If either of the large red wires does not have power, you have a broken fuse link at the starter.

Last edited by ASE doc; 01-18-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo
TWON_3rdGEN (12-25-2019)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Car: 92 camaro t-tops
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: stock

ok i dont if im doing this right this my first forum ive ever been on. but from what im reading you guys seem to know your stuff, i have a 92 rs cranks but will not start i replaced the cap and rotor batt is good and im getting fuel any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Does your security light flash when you crank the engine? it could be a VATS issue.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Car: 85 camaro sc
Engine: v8 305 5.0 4bbl carb
Transmission: automatic

i have a simmilar problem with my 92 rs. it cranks but doesnt start. security lite is on when i turn it to the on position but turns off after about 3 seconds then i try to start it but i dont think it is getting any fuel . im pretty sure its the vats system . but i dont have a vats key to the car.. sadly i had got robbed and key got stolen now i just want her running again pls help
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4

i have a 1988 camaro 5.0 tpi, with no MAF sensor. will it start without it?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Car: 89 camaro irocz convertble
Engine: 5.0 ho v8

Ok so here is the thing I changed out the fuel pump fuel sending unit fuel filter and fuel pump relay and the fuel pump still wont come on I know people have told me there is a fuse on the positive battery cable that could be the problem but whoever had the car cut the fuse off and just strait wired it so wat can I do now I need help on this
Old 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM

OK, the other day I had to have my 1991 camaro RS towed home because it would not start. I thought it was the starter so i changed it and the car still would not start. so I did an online search and found out that it was the VATS. I changed the ignition last night found that one of the wires was broken. Went and had a new key made at the dealer and my car still will not start. I found that my battery is dead so i tried to jump start it and nothing it will not turn over at all and Yes the security lite is on. Is their a rest for this that I am not finding any help will help.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:53 PM

You are going to have to take it to the shop to find out what the voltage is for the vats key. I just had to change my ignition out in my car because one of the wires was broke. I had to have to original key so they could tell me what the voltage was. The dealer also told me that if i did not have the key they would have to test it and it was going to cost 400.00 for the test. I hope that this helps
Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Well I have a 91 rs auto 305 tbi Camaro The car has sit for a few years it ran and drove when it was parked I got it out and put a brand new battery on it and new fuel pump and i turn the key over and it makes no sound the dash lights all come on but the gauges jump every where i can hear the fuel pump running now i ran a wire from the tan wire going to the shifter to the yellow wire under the dash and i can get it to crank like that I can pour fuel down the tb and it will run as long as i keep pouring fuel in the tb but the tb is getting fuel to it but injectors are not pulsating and the wire going to the TPS are dead what is wrong with it any advice would be helpful thanks and god bless
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Car: 92 RS 5 speed
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt rear

Guys, Indicate if you have a manual and automatic tranny!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Mine is a 91 rs 305 tbi AUTO trans
Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Ok I have a 89 izoc camaro 5.0 tpi and I think im gettin close to finding out the problem but im not sure so maybe somebody can help I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit fuel filter ignition switch fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse and when I go to turn the key to crank it and it turns over lik it wants to crank but the fuel pump isnt coming on and its not getting power to the fuel pump so I just put a battery on the fuel pump to test it and it runs fine and will get fuel up to the fuel injectors but the fuel injectors aint pumping also so wat can be the problem to mak it were the fuel pump and fuel injectors not work and I can spray starter fluid in it and will crank up for a few sec and die out so wats my problem anybody know?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Yungcris09
Ok I have a 89 izoc camaro 5.0 tpi and I think im gettin close to finding out the problem but im not sure so maybe somebody can help I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit fuel filter ignition switch fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse and when I go to turn the key to crank it and it turns over lik it wants to crank but the fuel pump isnt coming on and its not getting power to the fuel pump so I just put a battery on the fuel pump to test it and it runs fine and will get fuel up to the fuel injectors but the fuel injectors aint pumping also so wat can be the problem to mak it were the fuel pump and fuel injectors not work and I can spray starter fluid in it and will crank up for a few sec and die out so wats my problem anybody know?
Well sounds like you have the same problem as me.Are the gauges jumping all over the place?If so i was told to look into getting a new computer.Now i can get mine to crank with a bypass wire but thats all.Everybody and there brother will tell you its the vats.But mines not the vats i would consider getting a new computer.I would say thats your problem also but I cant make any promises,maybe it could be the prom in your computer.Hope it helps you
Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 PM

Yea well thats do help I hav heard a couple people say its the computer is bad and I might hav shorted out the computer when I was changing out batterys cause I hooked it up wrong I hate top post I dont know why they the people that had the car before me changed it from side post to top post cause it made the cables to short thats how I hooked it wrong
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Well is your gauges jumping around every where when you try to crank it
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

When you get a new computer you have to change out the PROM (its the chip in the computer) So put the chip from the old one into the new computer and if it still will not run I would check into getting a new prom
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Yea they are jumpin around when I try to turn it over
Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM

Yea thats another thing if I do need a prom chip were do I get one from and hav it burned for my car? I hope not just a gm dealer cause I know thats gon be high
Old 07-29-2011, 03:07 PM

well I can explain it better over the phone if you can give me a call at 865 466 8090
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

More than likely GM unless you can find a used computer with the prom in it the you can use the whole computer but you will have to get a new key made with the same resistance as the used computer

Last edited by Andy23; 07-29-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Ok I will giv a call soon and your name is andy right?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM

yea

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! My camaro won't start!