Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help! Car won't start, brake light came on? NSS??

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 96 Souped up Firebird, 89 KITT
Engine: 305
Help! Car won't start, brake light came on? NSS??

OK I have a 89 pontiac firebird 305 tpi. Just got it out of the garage AGAIN and took it for a drive... the check engine light comes on... I stop the car, turn it off, turn it back on a few minutes later and the check engine light goes off. The next thing that happens is the 'brake light' comes on. I let it run a couple minutes, turn it back off, then when I get ready to leave, it won't do anything. We have already replaced the neutral safety switch recently which did it the first time... we are trying to adjust the N.S.switch now to see if its stuck in gear or whatnot.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Help! Car won't start, brake light came on? NSS??

The brake light comes on in two circumstances, either while the parking brake is engaged or when there is a pressure differential great enough to cause the light to go on signaling that you have a major issue in your brake hydraulic system.

My check engine light comes on sometimes after I've jumpstarted it or if the battery has been disconnected for some time but I just shut the car off and start it up again and it's disappeared.

As for the NSS, I'm not sure, I have a t5 and I don't care to learn much about auto transmissions, but you should check the shift linkage, you can determine here whether it's sticking in gear or not, you should see some sort of slippage or play occurring if there is a problem like this and it's not engaging other gears.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Car: 96 Souped up Firebird, 89 KITT
Engine: 305

ok, got it to the mechanic and he said that when the tow co. dropped it off it wanted to start... but it wants to start in reverse gear insteadhe h of park... WEIRD..anyway, we tried to adjust the NSS last nite like i said and it didn't do anything..strange.. so hopefully if it does this again, its only the NSS and not something like 'shift linkage' and other things...
Old 06-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305 TBI
Transmission: W/C T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

It sounds like that has to be the problem, I'm not familiar with NSS's but it sounds as if there's wiring crossed somewhere.