Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How do I change a pick up coil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
How do I change a pick up coil?

I have a 305 TBI and I am not getting any fire. I have changed plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor button, and ignition module. I have also changed out the relays. How do I change the pick up coil once i have the distributor out? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How do I change a pick up coil?

IN THEORY, it's not difficult. You pop the pin out that holds the distributor gear to the distributor shaft and then you pull the shaft out the top of the distributor. Then you remove the screws that retain the pickup coil and out she comes. Replacement is the reverse procedure.

IN REALITY there are 2 things that make it much more difficult. In an old distributor oil schmutz can coat the distributor shaft REAL THICK and make pulling the shaft out through the top of the distributor damned near impossible without yanking the upper shaft bearing out of the distributor. In other words, if it's got more than 30-40K street miles on it, it's going to be a bear.

Second, the pickup coil has ADJUSTMENT in it's mounting. Not much, but the retaining screws can allow it to wiggle around a little. If you don't get it perfectly centered the points of the 8 points of the rotor will PHYSICALLY COLLIDE with the 8 matching points of the pickup coil when the shaft spins. This type of touching is a big no-no, as you can imagine. The points must pass eachother very closely, but not touch. When you spin the distributor by hand you can feel if there is any touching of the points. If there is, you must loosen the pickup coil screws, move it ever so slightly, tighten them down again and recheck. And you must not mistake the "sticky" feeling of the point's magnetic attraction as they pass eachother for physical contact with eachother. Magnetic attraction is "lumpy" feeling as the points pass, physical contact is a "clunk" or "crunch" kind of feeling.

Sounds like no big deal, but to get it right is a total trial-and-error thing with "feel" as your only guide.

In short, don't underestimate this seemingly simple repair operation. It CAN make you pull your hair out.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

The reason I am changing this is because of no spark. Would it be easier to change the whole distributor?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82,83,99 T/As
Engine: 350,350,383
Transmission: ST-10,700r4,4l60e
Axle/Gears: P-3.23,P-3.42?,P-4.10

Easier? Yes.
Cost effective? Not at all. Just get the pin out properly. It's a pressure fit one, so it'll be tough. A vice helps.