Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How to know if your fly wheel is bad.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro, Holley 600 series.
Engine: 350 w/350 TPI heads
Transmission: 90+ 700R4
Axle/Gears: not sure
How to know if your fly wheel is bad.

Im almost certain its my fly wheel that has been causing this inconsistent annoying knocking sound.

What is the best way to tell if your fly wheel is bad?

A crack, a loose bolt, something.

thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How to know if your fly wheel is bad.

Remove the torque converter bolts & see if it feels loose.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

Maybe the front u joint sometimes they are tricky to trouble shoot. You have to make sure you can spin the drive good and shack it around. Make sure and use jack stands on the rear axle!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
Maybe the front u joint sometimes they are tricky to trouble shoot. You have to make sure you can spin the drive good and shack it around. Make sure and use jack stands on the rear axle!
I had someone else suggest it was the u joints too. No need for jack stands I dig a strip out underneath my car and slide under lmfao. I stick four cinder blocks underneath just in case anything ever does go wrong.

But I installed my whole exhaust like that and Im still here ;D and put on a knock sensor, headers, changed oil, pretty much everything

Ill try this tomorrow when I get time,

And for the torque bolts.. I have no idea what that is, but my manual should say something about it! Thanks for the answers.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: 5.7 trick flow heads t-ram
Transmission: wct5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

If you have an automatic transmission, you have a flexplate. A flywheel is used for standard shift transmissions.
The torque converter bolts are the three bolts that connect the torque converter to the flexplate.
Usually, if the flexplate is making noise, it's because it's cracked around the bolts that hold it onto the crank. That would require pulling the transmission to inspect. I hope you find your problem elsewhere. Good Luck.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM

It looks like a giant gear. That's where it sounds like its coming from :/ I really hope that's not my problem not lol. I am hoping its my U-joint that will make me happier.

If its not the U-joint its definitely the flexplate/flywheel lol. I do have an automatic so I guess it is a Flexplate.

2 questions:

How long can I drive with it like this and will it cause any internal engine damage? I'm just wandering if I should buy my registration or invest my money into the knocking. But if its not an immediate threat to my car then I will get my registration so I can drive to work instead of walking.

And off topic question,

I was at advanced today and they said my car is a rare kind because its a 305 vin F car. They showed my that 72% of the camaros in my area have the vin E. I know my car isn't some super rare car, but how rare is it?

Thanks for all the answers, I will be sure to keep you guys informed.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM

The giant gear is the flexplate. With the car running, put it in drive and then put it in nuetral and see if the noise changes any.
The 8th digit(F) in the vin indicates that your engine is a 305 tpi, an (E) for the 8th digit would be a 305 tbi an (8) in the 8th digit would be a 350 and a (T) (who cares) would be a V6
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by irocarter
The giant gear is the flexplate. With the car running, put it in drive and then put it in nuetral and see if the noise changes any.
The 8th digit(F) in the vin indicates that your engine is a 305 tpi, an (E) for the 8th digit would be a 305 tbi an (8) in the 8th digit would be a 350 and a (T) (who cares) would be a V6
Well, I haven't had any time today to do this, but when I was running it the other day, the sound kind of stays the same for the most part. If anything its a very insignificant change.

Its pretty much ONLY when im idling or moving slowly. If I rev it or increase the rpms it goes away. (I couldn't say exact rpms, because my gauges don't work).

No matter what I use to take a video you can never fully hear the sound, my car is too loud unfortunately. If I could I would, but its too muffled in the video. I only wish it was like that here.

1. There is no drop in RPMs
2. The car starts up perfectly
3. Im pretty sure there is no issue when it changes gears
4. It revs find and the sound is definitely not coming from the top end.

Someone mentioned my crank was bad. ( a VERY shady mechanic).. well his exact words were "your whole entire bottom end is bad, gonna be a messy and big job" thinking ill take my car to him thats a joke.

sorry for writing so much, oh and I don't think its my U-joint just because its happening when i'm idling.

I don't know, ill do what you guys suggested tomorrow thanks for the help so far
Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 PM

You guys want to hear something crazy?!?!? This is what it sounds like, this is just on a truck though :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaSt5v3Mdww
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Unfortanely, that shady mechanic could be correct. I once had a GTA that had a noise that sounded like a cracked flexplate so I pulled the tranny and the flexplate was fine. I couldn't find were the noise was coming from so I kept driving it daily, with the noise and then one day it got louder and I started losing power and it died, never to start again. When I tore the engine down, I pulled the crank out in three pieces. At first, the two noises are very similar. I believe the reason for this was because an injector was stuck for quite sometime and the gas in the oil was washing the main bearings. Like myself,some learn the hard way.

p.s. check the harmonic balancer to see if the rubber is coming out
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Unfortanely, that shady mechanic could be correct. I once had a GTA that had a noise that sounded like a cracked flexplate so I pulled the tranny and the flexplate was fine. I couldn't find were the noise was coming from so I kept driving it daily, with the noise and then one day it got louder and I started losing power and it died, never to start again. When I tore the engine down, I pulled the crank out in three pieces. At first, the two noises are very similar. I believe the reason for this was because an injector was stuck for quite sometime and the gas in the oil was washing the main bearings. Like myself,some learn the hard way.

p.s. check the harmonic balancer to see if the rubber is coming out
Wow, that really sucks. But I don't think (hope) that mechanic is right. He was trying to tell me I have to pull the engine to fix it and just make it seem a lot worse ( I know its bad, but im almost certain I don't have to pull the engine). I was told I could take the whole front end off and then just slide the crankshaft and all that out.

I'm in know position to do this now, Im trying to get out of my psycho sisters house so I just put everything on my car so It's at least drivable to the new location.

Did you watch the video?! That is the exact sound I'm having. Was there any warning signs that your car was about to die like that or it just went?

Did the sound persist when you were driving? Remember mine goes away when I start driving, my car sounds perfectly fine then.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM

The noise that I had , at first, would go away when driving. You could only here it at idle but eventually it got louder and more consistant. You probably shouldn't drive until you find the problem but I understand it's your ride.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: twin turbo 406
Transmission: th400 w/brake 4400 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42s

Originally Posted by xxZ28xx
Wow, that really sucks. But I don't think (hope) that mechanic is right. He was trying to tell me I have to pull the engine to fix it and just make it seem a lot worse ( I know its bad, but im almost certain I don't have to pull the engine). I was told I could take the whole front end off and then just slide the crankshaft and all that out.

I'm in know position to do this now, Im trying to get out of my psycho sisters house so I just put everything on my car so It's at least drivable to the new location.

Did you watch the video?! That is the exact sound I'm having. Was there any warning signs that your car was about to die like that or it just went?

Did the sound persist when you were driving? Remember mine goes away when I start driving, my car sounds perfectly fine then.

Thanks
the crankshaft will not slide out the front like a camshaft. you DO have to pull the motor to get to the crank out. some 4 cylinders you can pull the crossmember and do it from the bottom though.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by 355sleeper
the crankshaft will not slide out the front like a camshaft. you DO have to pull the motor to get to the crank out. some 4 cylinders you can pull the crossmember and do it from the bottom though.
man, I knew it was one of the 'shafts' lol, thanks for the info, that would REALLY suck if it was my crank...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM

The noise that I had , at first, would go away when driving. You could only here it at idle but eventually it got louder and more consistant. You probably shouldn't drive until you find the problem but I understand it's your ride.
I haven't been driving it at all actually. I drove it from St Pete to Clearwater. Then I worked on it for about 5-6 months. Start it up every now and then, rev it, turn it off. The furthest I drove it so far after all my fixes, was right down to the corner of my street. Thats where the mechanic was lol.

Did they noise you had sound like the one in the video I provided? Its really hard to determine where its coming from if I cant get underneath, but it sounds like its coming from more of the middle region.

Im definitely not getting rid of it no matter what. I invested way too much time and money into it so far to just let it go. I just got two jobs, so Ill be able to pay for what goes wrong with it, in time.

If you can compare the sounds to that video and what your car sounded like because that is exactly what my car sounds like.

I also had my friend who is a mechanic tell me to check my torque converter bolts. The owners before me just half assed put everything on you can tell by well... the way everything was when I got it. So anything is possible

{sorry still haven't had the time to look at it, like I said two jobs, kind of hard at the moment ill wait until I have a day off}
Old 02-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Well I couldn't do what you guys suggested yet, but I got underneath to look at it. From a side point of view it almost looks bent. Where those big holes are at on the inside it there is a thick piece of metal bent outward a little bit. So looking at it from a side view everything lines up then that piece is sticking out.

Could this be my problem?! I think im going to end up buying one anyway and just swapping it. The thing looks pretty old :|
Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

We are going to need pictures to help you!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
We are going to need pictures to help you!
Ok, how bout this :P

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...|GRP60006_____

You see that piece on the top left of the flexplate? The pieces closest to the teeth of the flex plate are the things that are bent out. Sorry I could try to take a pic with my phone tomorrow, maybe I can get a good one this phones camera actually isn't too bad