Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Rear wheel bearings will not come out, even with puller. HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 BMW M5
Rear wheel bearings will not come out, even with puller. HELP!!!!

Hi guys, I have a big problem getting the stock wheel bearings out of the rear end housing. I got a complete wheel bearing and axle puller slide hammer kit, with tons of attachments specifically for doing this kind of work. Even with the locking expandable 2 jaw attachment firmly grabbing the bearing from the back, I can not pop it out. I actually shattered part of the race where the puller was grabbing, but it is still in the housing. I tried adding some heat (not a lot, I am going to add more today if necessary). Any tips on how to get this MF out? I have also applied PBlaster to it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 trans am clone
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Rear wheel bearings will not come out, even with puller. HELP!!!!

nice camaro in your sig.

best bet is to keep at it i had one of those once on a truck and after an hour or more the things finally flew out in pieces. everytime the slide hammer hit the puller would spark from hitting the bearing so hard and still nothing. just keep at it.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Yea, you're just going to have to keep beating the crap out of it. I removed all the rollers out of my axle bearings before the rest of it came out in pieces.

That's a nice marauder you've got. I drove a few late model crown vics, i'm guessing that marauder has a lot more pep eh?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:57 PM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

I've never tried with a puller, I always whack them out from the other side with a length of conduit.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

I use a Dremel tool, cut the bearing cage to get the rollers out, then cut the outer race as much as possible, then whack it with a hammer and chisel to colllapse it inward and pull it out by hand. Tedious work but those things just won't come out sometimes. And stuff a rag into the housing to keep the grit out.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piece of pipe or conduit and a BFH will get them out in a few seconds.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 BMW M5

Hi guys, I used a different adapter that came with the slide hammer. There were a couple different size T lookin' swivel hooks, where you **** the head of the T in the bore, and then straighten it out, and it latches on the bearing. Both bearings came out with only a few whacks. Just needed to back it up better than the small hooks did.

I couldn't use conduit with the rear assembled (unless you use a really small piece of pipe, I can see that working). The slide hammer with the swivel attachments worked really slick. Thanks

Sonix, thanks, the Marauder is an all aluminum DOHC 4 valve/cylinder 302 hp engine. It looks like a crown vic but you can't even compare the DOHC cobra engine in the Marauder to the lazy 4.6 SOHC in the crown vics.

vipershark, thanks for the compliment. This car is straight outta the 80s, paint-wise

Last edited by 327_TPI_77_Maro; 03-29-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Originally Posted by 327_TPI_77_Maro
Hi guys, I used a different adapter that came with the slide hammer. There were a couple different size T lookin' swivel hooks, where you **** the head of the T in the bore, and then straighten it out, and it latches on the bearing. Both bearings came out with only a few whacks. Just needed to back it up better than the small hooks did.

I couldn't use conduit with the rear assembled (unless you use a really small piece of pipe, I can see that working). The slide hammer with the swivel attachments worked really slick. Thanks

Sonix, thanks, the Marauder is an all aluminum DOHC 4 valve/cylinder 302 hp engine. It looks like a crown vic but you can't even compare the DOHC cobra engine in the Marauder to the lazy 4.6 SOHC in the crown vics.

vipershark, thanks for the compliment. This car is straight outta the 80s, paint-wise
Can you explain this any better?

I have just been outside trying to get mine out and am having this exact same problem, i actually just came in to post but saw this thread first..

I have a slide hammer with 3 jaw attachment, the one side came out a piece of ****, the second just wont move, the whole inner race is destroyed inside, and i have destroyed part of the seal too.. I dont have anything small enough to cut the outer race and i dont really want to go buy a 60 dollar dremel to cut out 10 dollar bearing...

Any othe suggestions.. i am going to look at the other bits with the slide hammer, see if i can make it a two jaw..

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Car: 2011 Cummins HO
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.43

Ok, I just changed it to the two jaw attachment and it came out sooo easy.. i guess it is easier to have two jaws flush onto the bearing race than it is with three so you get the full force of the blow on the bearing.

Cheers guys..

Richard.