V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Hard to start after warm up, run gas very fast & bad smell from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird V6
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: auto
Hard to start after warm up, run gas very fast & bad smell from exhaust

Hi, my firebird run good but recently I have some problem, my car getting hard to start after the engine warm up, is that strange? the smell from exhaust is stinking, people said that the gas doesn't burn completely in the engine and I feel my gas run out very fast.....where should I start to check ? inject system or somewhere else?

Please help, the smell will kill the people in the car and the gas will costs me alot.... I am live in Taiwan and the people here don't know much about this car....

Joe
Old 04-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85' Firebird (Project), 92' RS
Engine: 2.8L, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open , 10 Bolt (ukn)
i might be willing to place a bet on a catalytic convertor. When they go bad, the exhaust has a really horrible smell to it, so that's quite a possibility. On the contrary, i wouldn't hold that as gold. good luck.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:41 PM

thank you, but what is "catalytic convertor", where is it? do you mean the part under the car which connect to the exhaust?

If so, the ex-owner seem took it out and changed it to the normal one.....what should I do except buying a new one....
Old 04-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: LH0 3.1L
Check the fuel pressure regulator and injectors for leaking. You'll need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. It sounds like your engine is flooding causing the hard starting. All that excess fuel might cause black smoke out the tail pipe. If you have a catalytic converter, it could've been damaged by the excess fuel and that will cause a rotten egg smell.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

I think coil causing weak spark & the result is poor start & car has unburnt fuel.
How new is coil?
Yeah your CC was LONG gone before the boat left the docks here in Long Beach or San Francisco, CA.....
Old 04-05-2004, 01:07 PM

I check the CC today, it looks like something else, so it must be broken and changed....without the CC, the car smells really bad and I can't make sure if the bad smell came from the inject system or both....I don't wanna send my car to garage, it may causes me alot and still no improvement, my friend will help me but we still need some equipment to check the inject system, what is your suggestion?

I also replace the fuel filter today!

thanks

Joe
Old 04-05-2004, 03:45 PM

Car: 2006 'Nox 91 Camaro RS 91 1500 Silv
Engine: GM 3.8L, 305 SBC, 350 SBC
Transmission: Auto, auto, auto
How about the Oxygen Sensor? When they fail don't they usually cause the car to burn rich? It would also make sense to me that it would be hard to start once its warmed up because the Oxygen sensor is at operating temp
Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro SC, '16 QX60
Engine: 2.8 V6 POWER, 3.5L V6 N/A
Transmission: T-5, CVT
Originally posted by CaliCamaroRS
Check the fuel pressure regulator and injectors for leaking. You'll need to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. It sounds like your engine is flooding causing the hard starting. All that excess fuel might cause black smoke out the tail pipe. If you have a catalytic converter, it could've been damaged by the excess fuel and that will cause a rotten egg smell.
I also must throw in my vote for leaky injectors. This topic has been discussed a few times. I also have this problem and have not had a chance to check the injectors yet to confirm the source. One thing you can do is called clear-flood mode. When you start the car, hold the gas pedal to the floor. This actually shuts the gas off until the engine starts. When the engine does start take your foot off the gas. Let me know if this helps you start better.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:54 PM

Oh, this car have been stay in junkyard for long time and there are some problem, I changed the O2 senser in the first time I felf the gas running fast and the problem still here, then I keep check why the gas running fast.....(maybe this car was born to be a gas monster and I still don't believe it).

Many people told me the gas doesn't burn completely in the engine when they feel the smell from exhaust ....my car is easy to start in the morning but hard to start after warm up, I had pumped the gas pedal when start and it becomes easy to start....I will try the "clear-flood mode" today and see what happen!

How should I know if the problme is "leaking injector", can I clean them or buy new one....??
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Any shop should be able to find a local vendor to do the work of cleaning injectors for you.
Japanese fuel delivery systems should be the "same" as this FBody of yours. Checking shouldn't be too much of a mystery for them. I believe it's only a sensor placed in the fuel injector wiring harness, to give accurate read out of problem. Any local dealers for Suzuki there? Suzuki now part owned by GM & they should have some testing tools for your ride. Or Mercedes/Porsche/VW mechaninc, as they all used Bosch Electronic Fuel delivery systems.