V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

1992 Camaro RS 3.1 V6 Questions

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Camaro RS 3.1 V6 Questions

Alright, first question, can I get a replacement plug for the EGR valve? The wiring going into the plug is bad, and so is the plug, but there is enough wiring to patch in a new plug, so, where can I get a new plug? Or can I get one at all?

Next few are performance related

I'm looking for performance upgrades to the motor and trans, see below for a thread I created on the trans.

Performance dis, coil, aftermarket ECM upgrade? What can I do to get more out of this motor? It's got 140 horses stock, but I know there's more than that to be had out of this car.

I like the V6, I am not swapping it, I like the gas mileage, I'm content with the pace of the car, but I'd like to make it quicker, 'cause, I'm the guy that's at the next intersection before most people get off from the green light.

As mentioned, trans thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...tic-later.html

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 01-21-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi
Re: 1992 Camaro RS 3.1 V6 Questions

Originally Posted by Dead Reckon
Alright, first question, can I get a replacement plug for the EGR valve? The wiring going into the plug is bad, and so is the plug, but there is enough wiring to patch in a new plug, so, where can I get a new plug? Or can I get one at all?
I bought one from the dealer a few years back. Only problem was the wires were all white instead of color coded. I ended up with the connector clocked 120* off because of it and kept getting random EGR codes. Fortunately, I didn't short anything, and later found which wire went to which solenoid, made the appropriate corrections. Been running like a champ ever since.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM

Alright, I'll look into that, thanks. I've wired multi-wire plugs before that have wrong, or no color codes, I think I can figure it out, I'll probably solder and shrink wrap the wires to be safe.. Or will shrink wrap just shrink more with engine heat...?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by Dead Reckon
Alright, I'll look into that, thanks. I've wired multi-wire plugs before that have wrong, or no color codes, I think I can figure it out, I'll probably solder and shrink wrap the wires to be safe.. Or will shrink wrap just shrink more with engine heat...?
A boat load of other cars used the same digital EGR valve. Should be able to find a decent pig-tail in a JY.

As for the performance upgrades retain the stock GM ignition module. If the distributor needs work can clean it up and replace the pickup coil.

Same for the ignition coil, GM stuff.

Get one of the 2.8l/TPI type air cleaner set ups, that will free up the breathing. A Dynomax exhaust meant for the 5.0L TBI cars is also helpful.

RBob.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s

Originally Posted by RBob
A boat load of other cars used the same digital EGR valve. Should be able to find a decent pig-tail in a JY.

As for the performance upgrades retain the stock GM ignition module. If the distributor needs work can clean it up and replace the pickup coil.

Same for the ignition coil, GM stuff.

Get one of the 2.8l/TPI type air cleaner set ups, that will free up the breathing. A Dynomax exhaust meant for the 5.0L TBI cars is also helpful.

RBob.

Just to add I have a tpi set up in excellent condition for a good price.

I also have a old K+N filter for your stock canister set up. Id give ya for free, just pay the shipping.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

There is no performance distributor. Accel performance coils are junk. A guy on here had a car fire last year that was possibly related to an overheated MSD stock ignition coil replacement. Best bet is to grab an MSD Blaster coil if you're dead serious.

Your car has the most tuneable of the V6 ECMs, the 1227730. Leave it and learn to tune it. Other than that, without some major work, there really isn't that much to be had out of the stock intake and cast iron boat anchor cylinder heads.

Realistically, the only thing the trans needs is a shift kit (and possibly a better torque converter if you dare). The V6 you have isn't going to put out enough power to do any harm to it without some major modifications (turbocharger or hybrid 3x00 head swap). Unless it's slipping already and needs work. Also, possibly look into an aftermarket shifter.

Oh, and look into swapping your stock rearend gears (or the whole axle) for a set from a 2.8. Yours most likely has 3.23 gears in it, and the 2.8s usually got a 3.42. That will give you better get-up-and-go without sacrificing too much fuel economy.

:edit: I have a spare 3.1 digital EGR color coded connector if you want it...

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 01-22-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep an eye on the junkyard. Most of the ones up there are V8's, or V8 swaps, hard to tell. What gearing would a V8 diff have?

As for the connector, what do you want for it? My father and I know there aren't any 3.1 V6 Camaro's in a junkyard within a reasonable distance.

Is the connector new? I'm hoping to get a new one.

Anyway, thanks for the info, as for that connector, I'm interested in it. I read on what the EGR can do, my father thinks its "BS", but he's living in the sixties, so, he's stuck in his ways. I know it's tied into some pipe dream of making the world cleaner, but it's also tied into the ECM, and the very performance of the engine. Therein, it has to function properly. Oh, I'm possibly going to learn a stick and just swap it back to a 5spd, as, we believe it was originally.

Edit:

After a ton of research in the hours which I should be sleeping between the days I've been working, I've decided to buy the aforementioned Camaro from my father, and, I'm likely swapping it back to a five speed once I learn to drive a stick. We know it was a five speed before, it even has the gauge cluster with the upshift and downshift lights.

Too clarify, part of the reason of these questions has to understand exactly what I have, and, if I really wanted to buy it from my father. I'll be honest, a Camaro, or any F body wasn't my first, or even in my top ten list of cars. I have never been into sporty cars, and truth be told, I will likely never own another after this Camaro, but this one has me. Do not get me wrong though, these are not bad cars, just not my kind of car.

I've grown fond of this car, and I want to see it have a good life. So, I've decided to buy it from my father, fix the mechanical issues, fix the stereo, fix the interior bits so it doesn't rattle me to the point of insanity, tune it up a bit, then fix the exterior cosmetics... Which where pretty well unfixed when the previous owner took it through a fence... In depth photo's can be seen here:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ro%20RS%20Red/

The hood was open/ajar 'cause at the time the coil pack was bad, it took me an entire weekend to get my father to spark test the pack. Again, he's stuck in the sixties, I'm twenty something and don't know what I'm talking about, probably some "Electronic BS gone wrong". That is another reason I have decided to take this car from my father, he is too stubborn, too caught up in the days of old to really respect the engineering on this car.

Oh, as for the masking tape on the wiring of the EGR valve, I don't know who did that, but I have since electrical taped it. It seems to be working, so, I'm not worried.

And, we added the IROC-Z hood, and it will have an old school style paint job when I'm done, black headlight insets, black hood scoops. Plus, I'm changing the body tags from RS to just "Camaro", so it's a 1991-92 who knows what,

EDIT EDIT:

Oh, the speaker wire, it was a loud speaker someone had installed... Yes... A loud speaker... On a third gen... Why... In the name of all backwater towns, would they do that? Although, I should clarify, that this car was literally bought about five miles beyond the middle of nowhere. I think my father got it in Floyd or Franklin County. I can't remember which.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 01-23-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

The EGR connector IS used. It will be off of one of 2 90-92 harnesses I have (cut one up because it was junk and I received the other pre-cut ). The only way to get a NEW EGR connector is to go to the dealer and get hosed (I think I recall paying $15 for a new oil pressure unit connector when I got forced to swap to the single unit instead of the 2 I originally had on my 2.8 so I could have a working gauge, and that was back in 2004). And the NEW connector won't be color coded, all of the wires will be white. Other than that, you can get it, at the junkyard, off of just about any GM car between 1990 and 1995 as long as it has a V6 (4-bangers had a different EGR most of the time).