Search



Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI
Register Forgot Password?

TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Tims91RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 48

Classifieds Rating: (0)
305 Vortec Heads?

Would they work on a LO3 TBI motor? Are they worth the swap from stock heads if upgrading to a vortec intake? Might combine them with an LT1 cam swap. Any info on these heads would be appreciated. thanks.
Tims91RS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Supporter/Moderator
 
ShiftyCapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,239
Car: '90 RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5

Classifieds Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to ShiftyCapone
The 305 Vortec heads are a lot different than their bigger brother found on the 350. Most notably is the chamber differences which help the 350 versions become one of the best bang for your buck heads out there. If you want to use vortec heads on your 305 you would be better with a 350 set milled (to decrease chamber volume to maintain 9.X:1 CR on stock 305 bore). I would not waste my time with the 305 Vortec head. A ported set of 187's (stock LO3 heads), 416's, 601's or 081's will go a long way on your 305 and you won't have to fork over additional green for a vortec specific intake.
ShiftyCapone is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 6,963
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Classifieds Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone View Post
The 305 Vortec heads are a lot different than their bigger brother found on the 350. Most notably is the chamber differences which help the 350 versions become one of the best bang for your buck heads out there. If you want to use vortec heads on your 305 you would be better with a 350 set milled (to decrease chamber volume to maintain 9.X:1 CR on stock 305 bore). I would not waste my time with the 305 Vortec head. A ported set of 187's (stock LO3 heads), 416's, 601's or 081's will go a long way on your 305 and you won't have to fork over additional green for a vortec specific intake.
I on the otherhand disagree. The 059s have a different chamber design, but flow ALOT better than any of the other heads listed. When ported they will blow just about anything off the flowbench so to speak.
Fast355 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Supporter/Moderator
 
ShiftyCapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,239
Car: '90 RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5

Classifieds Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to ShiftyCapone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
I on the other hand disagree. The 059s have a different chamber design, but flow ALOT better than any of the other heads listed. When ported they will blow just about anything off the flowbench so to speak.

When ported I agree, but for a novice LO3 builder this may not be the best route to go. Sticking with ported or stock cast Gen I heads may be the easier/cheaper route for the first time heads and cam swapper.

We all know that you can make cheap and incredible power with Gen I 305 castings, thanks to hot rod enthusiasts like yourself that have made our lives easier and have paved the way for us . A 305 ported vortec swap may be better in terms of potential but availability and cost may become an issue that outweigh the performance gains on a 305 compared to readily available gen I castings. I had trouble finding 059 castings anywhere within my area/state that didn't require a hefty price (back when I was on my 059 kick). Granted, this is likely not true for everyone but a real possibility none the less, and something maybe worth considering.
ShiftyCapone is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
racer J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Mesquite, Texas
Posts: 314
Car: 1992 Chevrolet RS Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: WC T5 conversion
Axle/Gears: Debatable . . .

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to racer J Send a message via MSN to racer J
What types of prices do the 059s fetch?
racer J is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
kdrolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 849
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2

Classifieds Rating: (0)

See thread: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...ght=305+Vortec (305 vortec heads)

noting that it shows the 305/5.0 Vortec L30 casting number 2332520 as ported and with bigger valves vs the 350/5.7 062 stock unported Vortec head. For each lift and cfm block in the table, the 350 flow data appears above, and the 305 data appear below. It also appears that the 305 heads were altered to have 2.02/1.60 inch valves (based on what's in the table). The valve didn't seem to help much -- the 305 heads can't keep up with the intake of the 350, but are about the same as the exhaust on the 350. The 350 heads, meanwhile, flow very well and on-par with other flow data elsewhere on the web.

and

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...cflowsheet.jpg

Last edited by kdrolt; 02-13-2007 at 11:07 AM.
kdrolt is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hurst, Texas
Posts: 6,963
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

Classifieds Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrolt View Post
See thread: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...ght=305+Vortec (305 vortec heads)

noting that it shows the 305/5.0 Vortec L30 casting number 2332520 as ported and with bigger valves vs the 350/5.7 062 stock unported Vortec head. For each lift and cfm block in the table, the 350 flow data appears above, and the 305 data appear below. It also appears that the 305 heads were altered to have 2.02/1.60 inch valves (based on what's in the table). The valve didn't seem to help much -- the 305 heads can't keep up with the intake of the 350, but are about the same as the exhaust on the 350. The 350 heads, meanwhile, flow very well and on-par with other flow data elsewhere on the web.

and

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...cflowsheet.jpg
The 059s are a completely different casting with the 350 style raised ports.
Fast355 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
kdrolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 849
Car: 93 GM300 platforms
Engine: LO3, LO5
Transmission: MD8 x2

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
The 059s are a completely different casting with the 350 style raised ports.
from http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

12552520...97-up...305..........Vortec, truck
---
12558059...97........305..........Vortec, truck, 1.84"/1.5" valves

Interesting. I'm surprised that GM would make two different completely different head castings for the 305 truck model. I think I've seen pix of the 520 head but not the 059.
kdrolt is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
Supreme Member
 
vorgath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,701
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LS1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Well if they do exist and can be made to perform well *shrugs* it would mean one less reason for not keeping a 305 around. (Will see next week how badly damaged my stock LO3 is when I pull it)
vorgath is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro




Paid Advertisement


Reply

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > TBI

Tags
059, 2332520, 305, 50, casting, castings, cfm, cr, head, heads, motor, numbers, stock, tbi, vortec
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.

Emails & Contact Details