Search



Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #1
Member
 
Blown 346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Loves Park/Rockford
Posts: 297
Car: 2000CamaroSS,69 Camaro SS,91 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH 400
Axle/Gears: Stock

Classifieds Rating: (11)
600 HP 406 SBC questions.

I currently have a 406 SBC with a Cola crank, stock rods, SRP pistons, Hydraulic roller(dont know specs) brodix Aluminum track 1 heads poted and polished etc. I bought this motor already built just to swap out the 305 the car used to have.


The car isnt as fast as I want it to be (mid 12's.) I want to build this 406 to make 600 Flywheel HP or more. I am unsure of what combo will make this power. I dont want to just go to a machinest and say I want this HP etc and have it dynoed and only make 500 or 550 HP.

What ever knowledge you guys have im open to ideas. I know compression makes power and would think 12 or 13:1.1 would be a good start. I have 10,000 to work with and want to do this once. Any input is appreciated.
__________________
"Only The Best Can Have Competition"
Blown 346 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
TGO Supporter
 
Stekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,803
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Stekman Send a message via MSN to Stekman
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

NA, FI, or N2O?
Stekman is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Apeiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rio Oro de Santa Ana, San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 20,979
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop / 1988 IROC T-top
Engine: 383 Carb / 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 / T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 / 3.08 10 bolt

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

How long do you want it to live?
Apeiron is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Supreme Member
 
Sonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 10,763
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Classifieds Rating: (1)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Street driven at all, or pure drag race or...?
Willing to do a blower? Or stick with NA?
Sonix is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Member
 
Blown 346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Loves Park/Rockford
Posts: 297
Car: 2000CamaroSS,69 Camaro SS,91 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH 400
Axle/Gears: Stock

Classifieds Rating: (11)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

I want the motor to be N/A. I would like the motor to last a few years depending on how I drive it before a re fresh.
The car wouldnt be a daily driver or a cruiser, It would see the street 80% of its life. It would be strickly a race car.
Blown 346 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
Supreme Member
 
jbenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Danville, IN
Posts: 1,283
Car: 84 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 408LSX
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt, 4.30 gears

Classifieds Rating: (1)

Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Building a 600HP 406 shouldn't be too hard and I think you can accomplish your goal with 11:1-11.5:1 compression so you can use pump gas. Using race gas on a car that will see any street time is a huge pain and is expensive. I'd definitely make it a pump gas car unless you have a trailer and the car won't see any street time. With that much power I wouldn't use stock rods, you might get away with it for awhile but its asking for trouble. I'd use forged pistons, rods, and crank..hopefully the parts you have already are forged. Sounds like you already have a nice set of heads, I would look them over and make sure they are fully ported if not get a full race port job done on them. I wouldn't compromise on the heads, great flowing heads help build power without sacrificing drivability. Solid roller is by far the best choice in your application, I'd get a cam similar to what I have in mine if you go with 11:1 compression...go with a bigger cam if you are going to go with higher compression and race gas. And of course a Vic. Jr. intake and 850-950DP carb. Check out the combination in my signature its a 383 but the same combo would work even better in a 406. My combo runs well at the track and is surprisingly street friendly.
__________________
1984 Camaro F41(street driven on pump gas)
408LS, 11.5:1, TFS heads, Super Vic, T&D rockers, callies rotating assy., Moser 12 bolt, 4.30 gears, TH-400,
1991 Z28 LS1/4l60E, G92, UMI SFC, LCA, Panhard Bar, Koni Yellow shocks/struts
jbenge is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Member
 
Blown 346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Loves Park/Rockford
Posts: 297
Car: 2000CamaroSS,69 Camaro SS,91 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH 400
Axle/Gears: Stock

Classifieds Rating: (11)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenge View Post
Building a 600HP 406 shouldn't be too hard and I think you can accomplish your goal with 11:1-11.5:1 compression so you can use pump gas. Using race gas on a car that will see any street time is a huge pain and is expensive. I'd definitely make it a pump gas car unless you have a trailer and the car won't see any street time. With that much power I wouldn't use stock rods, you might get away with it for awhile but its asking for trouble. I'd use forged pistons, rods, and crank..hopefully the parts you have already are forged. Sounds like you already have a nice set of heads, I would look them over and make sure they are fully ported if not get a full race port job done on them. I wouldn't compromise on the heads, great flowing heads help build power without sacrificing drivability. Solid roller is by far the best choice in your application, I'd get a cam similar to what I have in mine if you go with 11:1 compression...go with a bigger cam if you are going to go with higher compression and race gas. And of course a Vic. Jr. intake and 850-950DP carb. Check out the combination in my signature its a 383 but the same combo would work even better in a 406. My combo runs well at the track and is surprisingly street friendly.
I'm planning on going with the best, fully forged bottom end etc. I have 10K that I plan on using to build the motor. The heads were just ported polished,new valves,springs etc last fall. The heads are ready to go. The car wont be a trailer queen, I would like to go to local shows, meets etc. For the power Im expecting I was thinking on the higher compression side. I would like to run pump gas and still be able to drive the car without burning $5.00 worth of 110 every 20 miles or so.
Blown 346 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: maine
Posts: 483
Car: 1986 iroc z
Engine: vortec 383
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 moser 12 bolt true trac

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown 346 View Post
For the power Im expecting I was thinking on the higher compression side. I would like to run pump gas and still be able to drive the car without burning $5.00 worth of 110 every 20 miles or so.
be careful here or thats exactly what you will create. 11.5.1 is all you should use to keep 93 octane. any more compression you will be into mixing your gasoline.

Last edited by five7kid; 06-24-2008 at 02:52 PM.
rjt76 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
TGO Supporter
 
Stekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,803
Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Stekman Send a message via MSN to Stekman
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

I hope the rest of drivetrain is sufficient.
Stekman is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

I am currently working on a similar project as yourself. You need to plan this from the engine all the way to the rearend and suspension. As nothing stock will hold up to that power level. I am using a dart block with all forged internals, including h-beam rods in a 427 ci rotating assembly. The more the cubic inch, the more streetable the combination will be at 600 hp. Cylinder heads are key. Solid roller is the way to go while sparing no expense on lifters, springs, and rocker arms. I am using T&D shaft rockers with the spring oiler option for extended spring life. You will need to step up to a super victor manifold and a true 850 or better cfm carbutetor. I say true 850 because a holley 950 hp is actually a 750 main body with an 850 baseplate. The only Holley to use is the 1000 hp(which is the same as the 850 with milled horn and smoothed entries), or switch to a mighty demon 850. They flow like the 1000 hp holley at a much better price. Transmission and rearend has to be addressed also. I will be using a rockland gear prepped retro t56 6 speed, good for 750 lbs/ft, and a 12 bolt or 9 inch(haven't decided yet).
Compression ratio is a whole animal in itself. It has to be matched to the cam timing properly. Static CR must be based off of when your intake valve closes(abdc). Or you will run into detonation. If you would like to talk, give me a call, as I am very knowledgeable on engine building and cylinder head tech stuff. ARN 740-323-3591

www.atwoodperformance.com
A Atwood is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
Member
 
Blown 346's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Loves Park/Rockford
Posts: 297
Car: 2000CamaroSS,69 Camaro SS,91 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: TH 400
Axle/Gears: Stock

Classifieds Rating: (11)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stekman View Post
I hope the rest of drivetrain is sufficient.

Yes the drivetrain consists of a Strange 12 bolt, 400 trans, tubular LCA's, k member, A arms, lower control arms, panhard bar, QA1's all around. The suspension is set.
----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Atwood View Post
I am currently working on a similar project as yourself. You need to plan this from the engine all the way to the rearend and suspension. As nothing stock will hold up to that power level. I am using a dart block with all forged internals, including h-beam rods in a 427 ci rotating assembly. The more the cubic inch, the more streetable the combination will be at 600 hp. Cylinder heads are key. Solid roller is the way to go while sparing no expense on lifters, springs, and rocker arms. I am using T&D shaft rockers with the spring oiler option for extended spring life. You will need to step up to a super victor manifold and a true 850 or better cfm carbutetor. I say true 850 because a holley 950 hp is actually a 750 main body with an 850 baseplate. The only Holley to use is the 1000 hp(which is the same as the 850 with milled horn and smoothed entries), or switch to a mighty demon 850. They flow like the 1000 hp holley at a much better price. Transmission and rearend has to be addressed also. I will be using a rockland gear prepped retro t56 6 speed, good for 750 lbs/ft, and a 12 bolt or 9 inch(haven't decided yet).
Compression ratio is a whole animal in itself. It has to be matched to the cam timing properly. Static CR must be based off of when your intake valve closes(abdc). Or you will run into detonation. If you would like to talk, give me a call, as I am very knowledgeable on engine building and cylinder head tech stuff. ARN 740-323-3591

www.atwoodperformance.com
Thanks for the offer, I will give you a ring in the afternoon after work about 5.

Last edited by Blown 346; 05-17-2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Blown 346 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

I run a 406 has 13:6.1 Brodix 11 X heads a 950 hp carb. had it on the Dyno the other day with the new headers 484 Hp to the rear wheels car has run a best of a 10.20 in 90 deg air
GaryNova is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #13
Supreme Member
 
Batass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Benzie, MI
Posts: 1,660
Car: 91 rs
Engine: Blow through 383, 10 psi, xr288hr
Transmission: Manual th350 ATI 3000
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Thats about 600 flywheel hp. Subtract roughly 5% for the 2 pts in compression.

Cam specs Gary? And nice, you have your car dialed in well to make that et.
Batass is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: stuart fl
Posts: 864
Car: 82 camaro
Engine: 434 ci
Transmission: t400
Axle/Gears: 9'' 4.10 gear

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

All this talk and no one recommended an after market block. I have seen many factory blocks pull the #1 mains bolts thru and the cracking of the deck by the stem holes also. Around 600-650hp I think it is money well spent on the after market block.
ross is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Supreme Member
 
1989GTATransAm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cypress, California
Posts: 6,756
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

Classifieds Rating: (3)

Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

Just what I was going to say about using the old factory 400 block. That will be the weakest link in my opinion. Dart has a new block out that is moderately price at around $1500 that would do the trick. Already comes with all the good guy stuff.
1989GTATransAm is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
Supreme Member
 
Orr89RocZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 19,839
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: Twin Turbo 401
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 12 bolt 3.42

Classifieds Rating: (20)

Send a message via AIM to Orr89RocZ
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

agreed on the block... and agreed that it can be done on 11-11.5 to 1 compression and pump gas

I'm thinking AFR 210's with a ported intake of some sort...victor or supervictor. I've seen some tests where they ported those intakes and gained alot of flow. You need to flow as much as you can thru the intake as the heads already flow 300 cfm. Not many intakes flow over 300cfm

solid roller with medium duration and .620ish lift on those AFR heads should rock out.

you'll need to be making roughly 500whp for 600 on motor or so. I think it can be done but it will need to have perfectly matched components and a solid roller to handle the rpms it may need to achieve that power
Orr89RocZ is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #17
Moderator
 
Apeiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Rio Oro de Santa Ana, San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 20,979
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop / 1988 IROC T-top
Engine: 383 Carb / 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 / T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 / 3.08 10 bolt

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

If you're going all out, why bother with a 23 degree head?
Apeiron is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
Supreme Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,974
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Re: 600 HP 406 SBC questions.

yeah but i cry when i look at the prices on 18deg stuff
SpitotRs305 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro




Paid Advertisement


Reply

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
1989, 406, 600, brodix, build, camaro, combo, combos, engine, heads, hp, long, motor, sbc, spec
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


1982 Camaro '82 || 1983 Camaro '83 || 1984 Camaro '84 || 1985 Camaro '85 || 1986 Camaro '86 || 1987 Camaro '87 || 1988 Camaro '88 || 1989 Camaro '89 || 1990 Camaro '90 || 1991 Camaro '91 || 1992 Camaro '92


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright 1997 - 2014 ThirdGen.org. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without the expressed, documented, and written consent of ThirdGen.org's Administrators.

Emails & Contact Details