Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

fuel cell question

Old 04-16-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula Firebird
Engine: 350carb
Transmission: 700r4
fuel cell question

i was looking at fuel cells and i would like to put one in my car...

can i just swap out my old tank and put in a new 12 gallon cell or do i have to mount the cell in the trunk or something?
what do i need to do to install a fuel cell?

not really doing it to save weight, mostly for looks, make the car look more custom...

any input appreciated!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:24 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
I don't think it's a really good idea, unless you really need a fuel cell. For one, the Thirdgen fuel tank is a kinda long, skinny thing, and most fuel cells are squarish, so you will probably have trouble finding one of any decent capacity that will fit. Besides, why do you want to ditch a 15 gallon tank for a 12 gallon cell on any thing but a dragster? You just gave away 20% of your range per tank of gas.

if you want to do it for looks, you'll have to have the car on a lift in order to see anything different. The tank is mounted above the axle, and behind the muffler, pretty much invisible from anywhere.

Mounting a fuel cell in the 'trunk' is just asking for trouble. You will need to construct a firewall betweeen the tank and the rest of the passenger compartment, to be NHRA legal, to say nothing of passing your annual state inspection.

The only exception to all of this I know of is the FuelSafe custom-fit cell. It's a 20 gallon, baffled, direct fit, aluminum cell. It's a very nice piece, retails for about $1100.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: FB385
Why? Not needed at all for a street car/daily driver, unless you have money to burn or you really need one. It is kinda like putting a roll bar in a 15 sec car, just to look fast IMO. Don't get me wrong, it is your car, but i would spend my money elsewhere if i were you. good luck
Old 04-17-2003, 03:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '94 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Yea, there's just no room under the car. Like said above, the axle & track arm are in the way.

I was measuring things up to install a 22 gallon fuel cell (FOR RACING !!!)
The only way I see installing it, was by cutting the top of the gas tank area inside the car & rising it 2-4"...
I might even consider cutting the cargo area out, and welding a sheet on top, and going with a shorter but longer tank.

FuelSafe's are probably the best fuel cells money can buy - on a NASCAR budget

Jaz, Summit, or RCI are a little more realistically priced...

...and don't forget about the extra money you'll need for the fuel sending unit...Add about 80 bucks, and not all fuel cells accommodate them.

...at least add a foam insert to get any benefits aside from the obvious benefit – safety

For looks, hmm your probably better off painting the rear swaybar & putting on an cast aluminium differential cover.
I put one of those reenforced diff. covers for stength on my sorry a** 10bolt, and they look pretty damn sweet from the rear.

Good Luck,

Ron
Old 04-17-2003, 06:14 PM

well, i need to replace my fuel pump and i figured that since i have to take off the tank anyways, i thought maybe i could just bolt up a fuel cell....

i also only drive the car around town, so i didnt mind losing gallons from the tank

1100 is just a little out of my price range

i guess i could just paint the outside of the tank black, that would look cool, and it would be cheaper and a lot easy to do... looks like i'll skip the fuel cell

thanks for the input!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 06:21 PM

oh yea, and i already have an aftermarket sus. with pan hard rod, sway bar, etc... so thats done, and i already have an aluminum diff cover, just not on yet...