Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

UMI Relocation brackets real pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: stock axle with 4.11's
UMI Relocation brackets real pain

this is a review about umi bolt on relocation brackets

i bought them about 2 months ago finally got around to installing...what a pain in the butt...followed the directions but they wouldnt line up with the shock mount holes...so i did there reverse put shock mount bolt on and the bracket bolt holes wouldnt line up...also one of the nuts and bolts they sent had bad threads but thats an easy fix...the brackets i just elongated the holes on the shock mount hole section on the bracket...ganna test it out for awhile and when i get around to welding in my sub frame connectors im going to weld them to the car...quality is nice but they need to go back and check there measurements...i know every car is going to be a little bit different...but they were off quite a bit...i would of sent them back but i had already messed them up and was past there 30day return policy...besides the holes not lining up and the bad bolt the product is nice...looks good once the job is done...the problem is the added piece they weld on for it to bolt to the shock mount...if it was moved down say a few millimeters...it should line up without any problems...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock
Re: UMI Relocation brackets real pain

I had a similar issue on the drivers side one. But it wasn't as bad as your issue. I didn't have to elongate the hole or anything. It was just really tough getting the holes to line up on the drivers side. Passenger side went on with no issues at all. I am going to weld them too, but not until I get my 4th gen rear in.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro z28
Engine: 350sbc
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: stock axle with 4.11's

yeah driver side was the worse...passenger was almost lined up just had to make the hole a hair larger on the bottom...looking at it you prolly would not notice the passenger side been modded...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

F--K yea man, putting in those things were a pain, and i had bolts of different sizes and different nuts...when i got done putting in my relocation brackets (they were red) they looked like $hit because i had to pound the living he|| out of them to line up and bolt in. i was also frustrated. but if you can get those bastards in, along with the LCA's then you can do anything to a 3rd gen, trust me on that. i mean it does look nice though and i cant really tell a big difference because i swapped my rear end as i did all the stock suspension but it does feel pretty good back there.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

same problem too but only with the drivers side, i thought it was my rear end caus the LCA mounting point was slightly bent but it ended up not being a problem, i had to enlarge the hole on the shock mount. and you can not torque the bracket bolts to the specs they say ripped the threads right out of the lock nut.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 AM

Add me to the list. I thought I was doing something wrong. The passenger side slipped right on. The driver side is off. I was cursing that thing for a long time. I finally took it off and bolted the LCA back in the stock location for now. Obviously UMI has a problem with there jig or mold or whatever you call that thing. Or else their welder was smoking weed when he welded these things together. I called them last night to complain and told them I wanted another one. I guess it wouldn't matter anyway if I got another one because that one would be messed up too. I didn't even know about the 30 day return policy. That sucks!!! I guess that means I'll be modifying mine too.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

That stinks! And its not like UMI... Those have to fit pretty tight because you dont want any chance of it shifting or moving. In order to make them so tight, they probably have trouble making them so that every car will accept them without issue. Like you guys said, every car is different.

I went with the Spohn weld in pieces. I knew I wanted them welded in the first place, so I just figured Ide get the weld on ones to start.

Either way....I think they are worth the install effort. I have eibach pro-kit springs, and I have my rear arms set at the top hole in the brackets. Fixed wheel hop issues and made the car hit a good bit harder off the line.

J.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM

I talked to one of the tech guys and at first he was basically telling to put it on the way the directions say. I told him I did all of that and even tried jacking it up which wouldn't affect it anyway since there isn't a LCA bolt up to it. I told him that all you guys had the same problem I had. he said he actually had someone email him with the same problem as well. He said some of the welders are putting to much weld on the on the top spot weld on the inside of the bracket. If you are looking at the bracket, the spot weld is on the top left. He said if you grind that down just a hair the bracket should go on with no problem. he said they have since changed the way they assemble the brackets. Good for everybody else bad for us who have the old design, but at least they acknowledged that there was a problem.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

well i bought mine less than 2 months ago and the weld in point for the bracket to the shock is the main problem i believe. other than that its a real nice product. i hop ethat i dont have the same problem with the SFC when i buy them, cause i like them so much better than spohn's SFC.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Well I got mine(driver side) on this afternoon. The spot weld is definately not the problem. UMI's tech department has no idea what they are talking about. I ended up oblonging the top holes that bolts the bracket to the bottom of the rear and then forcing the shock bolt through a very tight hole on the shock mount . It was very tight but did go together. There is a slight gap where the top of the bracket is supposed to butt against the bottom of the rear .I used almost $30 in Dremel bits to grind the metal( I get snapping them ). I am definately getting these welded up just to reassure strength. I was actually thinking the same thing about the subframe connectors.I already have mine but still have to install them. Hopefully they gone on w/o any problems(fingers crossed!!)

End result all my parts are now on(relo brackets, Spohn adj. LCA's and Spohn Panhard bar.) Looks good under there now. Hopefully they make a big difference. Just got to get the SFC's on and them purchase a Spohn adj. torque arm and front and rear sway bars to go along with the front steering brace I already have and then the car is done.

Last edited by dpmalibu; 05-30-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS Camaro, 75 L82 Corvette
Engine: LO3, 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4, TH400
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.23 posi/LS1 discs, stock

Originally Posted by dpmalibu
... and then the car is done.
They are never done
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Done for now!! Heads and cam swap later once I see what it runs at the track.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...tml?highlight=