Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Best Affordable Anti-Theft Devices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: Stock
Best Affordable Anti-Theft Devices?

What are the best anti-theft devices out there for 3rd Gens? I'd love to get some sort of GPS tracker but I doubt I could afford that right now. I've heard pretty good things about Autolock, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions!

I've had my '90 RS for about 7 years; most of those years, the exterior looked so oxidized and shabby that no one in their right mind would have wasted time with it. Now, however, I've got some serious money in restoring it. It's a high mile car and my stereo sounds good, but is still pretty low-budget. It's still pretty much stock under the hood and will stay that way for the immediate future...problem is, it LOOKS like I'd have some serious money tied up under the hood. The hood I put on came with hood pins and most people I've run into assume that hood pins = engine with loads of power and a car that has seen some racing. It doesn't and it hasn't; my car is a stock 305.

Here in a tiny WI town, it's safe in my garage and car theft is a rarity for anything other than very valuable cars. I'm looking at moving to a big city soon, though, where I'll most likely be living in an apartment and I'm paranoid of someone stealing it.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Re: Best Affordable Anti-Theft Devices?

Their are several things out of the ordinary you can do.
Such as pull the ignition fuse or fuel pump fuse.
Or you can put a hidden switch for either/or, or both. Even if someone tries to steal it it wont' start.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

Just park next to a nicer car.

Honestly, thirdgens are really not at high risk for theft. The cars aren't worth much. Unless it's just some clown who's looking for a joyride, you don't have much to worry about. The contents of your car are at much higher risk of theft than the car itself.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

me and my dad created a anti theft for our cars. used them on all the 3rd gens we owned and now theres only one left MINE!

basically take a magnetic switch and use it to control the shifter relay, without the magnet the circuit is open and the starter doesnt kick over (no start) all u do is place the magnet (which doesnt have to be very powerful on the location of the magnetic switch (which u have hidden somewhere) and turn the key at the same time and walla! starts right up.

best part about it is that its completely hidden, no visable marks/switches etc, cost almost nothing to make. and NO one has any idea of it since its custom. ive messed with a few tow truck drivers lol.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

thats a great idea!
my uncle had a thirdgen and after he invested money in it, he bought a rear wiper switch and wired it to a battery disconnect. of course the radio still got power from a wire that was hot at all times so he wouldn't lose radio presets and stuff
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Just park next to a nicer car.

Honestly, thirdgens are really not at high risk for theft. The cars aren't worth much. Unless it's just some clown who's looking for a joyride, you don't have much to worry about. The contents of your car are at much higher risk of theft than the car itself.
Either way, there's not much for theft protection on these cars, especially if you have a tilt column. Mine would have been stolen if it weren't for the fact that at the time the tranny was dry of fluid.

As for affordable security:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp
Look at the Passive starter kill section
Every car at the junkyard has a handful of relays, but even new ones are dirt cheap. Diodes are a little harder to find but they're even cheaper new.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

A couple of MEAN BOOTY DOGS for around the house, & a portable lil dog, Chihuahua to go crusin' with ya!! HAHA!!

If you don't mind an after market wheel, get one of the removable steering wheels, such as Grant-- no steery,--no drivey!!

A hidden " kill switch "? but you will lose pre-set radio stations.

A hidden fuel pump switch-- drive maybe 50 feet car runs out of gas!! ( carb ) IDK fuel inj.

Just a few random ideas

( edit )
OOPS-- RED_DRAGON_85 may be able to give an idea on how to save radio presets!!

Last edited by t-top havoc; 05-08-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi

tell that to the fu*kers that stole our iroc-z in 98 in a huge car theft wring.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Originally Posted by iroc stangs
tell that to the fu*kers that stole our iroc-z in 98 in a huge car theft wring.

AHHHH SNAP!!!!!

Is SIG a bad word around here???
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

GPS Tracker:

http://www.rmtracking.com/

A friend of mine installed one of these. Works pretty slick. Had his sister who lives in Jersey go online to test it. Located his his car in CA no problem.

Last edited by paulo57509; 05-08-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:59 AM

Car: Trailblazer EXT 4.2 (Firebird Form)
Engine: 5.1 4bbl
Transmission: 700R4 Mega Raptor Level 4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

what I would suggest are two toggle switches in plain sight and then another hidden ... the plain sight switches would be dummy switches... they'd be hot of course... run them inline with a couple diodes to control the direction of the juice on a fused circuit such as juice to the computer or juice to the fuel pump or starter... once the dummy switches are hit, the fuses are fried and there's no way of getting the car to start... and even if they don't flip these two switches, the car still won't start as you have a hidden toggle switch that controls the fuel pump... ..
Old 05-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27

I really want to do a hidden switch like that in my GTA. For as much attention as it gets here in Vegas once I start leaving it in parking lots all by itself it really wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to steal it. How hard is it to wire something like this up? I dont know where I would put the switch maybe by where the cig lighter is, then it would be out of sight.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 IROC 5.7 Money Pit
Engine: (being built; modified TPI ZZ4
Transmission: 2200 stall/ stage 3 700R4
Axle/Gears: freshened 3.27 in 9.bolt/

Hey CustomBlackBird, I'd be willing to pay $$$$ For better info on your magnetic switch idea. I've got a good 30k into mine and several one off hand made parts that could never be made again, and I'm no where near finished. What do I need to do to aquire the details???? Nitro
Old 05-10-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: open rear, 3.42 gears

just FYI you can use either a bunch of AA batteries or a 9V if you are lazy to keep your wiring presets.
wire the battery pack to power the radio, but put it in parallel with the real wiring

+ ---------to radio power
... |_9v+
- - ------- to radio ground
... |_9v-

then all you need is a diode in the wiring so that the 9v wont charge the car, only the radio.

fuel pump cutoff is acutally one of the better ideas ive heard.
a starter can be hot wired pretty easily, not so much on our cars as lifted trucks, but still not hard.
a battery kill is harder to get around, but a fuel pump switch is a great idea.

just throwing it out there
ive heard of people using an MSD box or something similar that allows different rev limiters to be installed.
they put in a 2000 rpm limiter when they let someone else drive it lol.
i wonder if you could get like a 1200 rpm switch made.
the car would start up but not go anywhere lol even if they managed to defeat all the other things
Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by neagan
Hey CustomBlackBird, I'd be willing to pay $$$$ For better info on your magnetic switch idea. I've got a good 30k into mine and several one off hand made parts that could never be made again, and I'm no where near finished. What do I need to do to aquire the details???? Nitro
id be willing to sell u the details if ud want. i just dnt want it getting around so that ppl actually start catching on to this therefore defeating the purpose of my unique anti theft device.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Car: 87 Black Irocz28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3:73 richmend axles and eaton gears

I have a older floor dimmer switch, in my iroc. I cut the hot wire to the distributor. Ran new wire to the dimmer. When I get out of the iroc I just hit the dimmer with my foot.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

If it can't be started, it can't be stolen without a tow truck.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

A gun pointed at the people trying to steal your ride is the best solution.

For those who don't use guns or don't have a gun on them or can't catch the thieves in time, I'd recommend not leaving anything of value in plain sight. Plus if it's the car they want then if they really want it they'll get it one way or the other.

Quick true story:

This man who had a security system on his SUV also had a keyring with an alarm on it that would beep if someone was trying to mess with his car. He paid alot of money for it too. Well, one day he was at work in a meeting and heard his beeper going off his keyring. The guy then went outside and saw some guy(s) trying to steal his ride. He had it all pimped out too. Then he tried to stop the guys and they killed him. So yeah, you can spend lot's of money on a system but in reality a crook who is smart enough will get the car anyway.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Supreme Member

An easy no start for a stick car is put a hidden switch inline with the clutch safety switch.

Same goes for an automatic, a switch can fool it into thinking its in gear still, which won't let it start.

beyond that, damage will be done and anything easy to grab n run off with will be gone but the car will remain less they bring a tow truck.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Quick true story:

A kid went to the beach and a popular boy with more muscles kicked sand in his face, and then stole his girlfriend.

Yes, it's safer just to quit and give up. But sometimes those that choose to act weak get shot and killed too. In fact, they get killed more often.

People steal our cars because it's fun, easy, and/or profitable.

I know you're sincere, or you wouldn't have taken the time to post the 'True Story'. However it's sad for me to see someone adopt a personal philosophy of choosing to be one of the weak. Just Say 'NO' To Thievery!!
Nitro
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Ravelco.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

haha
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Car: 84 firebird, 85 transam
Engine: 350 SBC Or 7.07 Tonys,305stock
Transmission: Big Ugly, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear disk 3.42 lsd,9 bolt

OK guys you want a cool why to stop someone from trying to take your ride
Wire up a high power coil under the driver's seat so when the car is running the coil fires. 50k volts zaps the thiefs nuts or vag (because girls can steal also) LOL just don't forget to deactivate before you start the car.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

If ya wanna get nuts.

A 12v smoke machine under the dash, hard to drive when ya can't see and how far will anyone get with smoke rollin out of a car. Even better if spiked with pepper spray.

Or Indy car style built in 4 corner jacks, with the tires off the ground, it ain't going anywhere.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Lol great ideas, love the eye burning smoke idea. I think I might be the last person on this earth that still uses the good old club. Turn all the way to the right and lock it behind the wheel with the lock facing towards the dash. That makes it a bitch to pick, if its pressed up against the window its not easy to saw. The hardened steel would be loud to cut anyway. If you register this thing they say that they will cover your losses if someone actually does steal your car. If anyone gives you ****, you can always beat them with it. lol

> btw, a tow truck can steal anything. Sometimes the tow truck drive doesnt even need to get out of his truck. A hydraulic lift will drop out, clamp around your tires and move you where ever it wants. They can be nice about it and put rolling jacks around your wheels or just drag your a$$ out into a spot to get a better grip. lol unless your box in by other cars they dont want to touch, your safe. Keep in mind that the best experience that you can put on your tow truck job app is former convicted car theif lol Good luck stopping them.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Car: 89 formula 350 & 2001 ws6 ta
Engine: 350 tpi & ls1
Transmission: 700r4, t56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt ? & 10 bolt 3:42

The autolock pro best $80 I ever spent kept my 01 ws6 ta from being stolen twice and kept my 89 formula from being stolen the first day I had it out on the road.

If you keep your car looking good thieves will try to steal it. If its primer they tend to leave it alone.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Car: 86 Camaro Z28/ 87 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 5.0L TPI LB9 / 5.0 TPI LB9 w/cam
Transmission: Built 700R4 with Transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt Posi/ 2.73 10 bolt Posi

Originally Posted by customblackbird
id be willing to sell u the details if ud want. i just dnt want it getting around so that ppl actually start catching on to this therefore defeating the purpose of my unique anti theft device.
My Uncle was using these back in the 80's to start his car, he didnt even need a key. He always carried around a magnet in his pocket. This is not a new top secret idea.

The tow truck will defeat most of these ideas anyway. One thing you can get is Lojack. Recently, a local chop shop stole a car with lojack on it and the police busted them and found a whole junkyard full of stolen cars. The thing with lojack is you have to move fast before they find the transmitter.

I like the pulling the fuse for the ECM myself. You could also get a Moates adapter for your PROM that has the remote switch and switch it to an empty bank on a chip with multiple programs on it.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FormulaWolf
Lol great ideas, love the eye burning smoke idea. I think I might be the last person on this earth that still uses the good old club. Turn all the way to the right and lock it behind the wheel with the lock facing towards the dash. That makes it a bitch to pick, if its pressed up against the window its not easy to saw. The hardened steel would be loud to cut anyway. If you register this thing they say that they will cover your losses if someone actually does steal your car. If anyone gives you ****, you can always beat them with it. lol

The club flaw was that you can cut through the steering wheel in about 30 sec as its crap steel n plastic.

Never got one but those monster steel cages that locked around the column so it can't be peeled was the real ticket item, only ever saw one in a car as it was a guy I only kinda knew who use to steal cars as a kid
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M MegaShifter
Axle/Gears: Gear Ratio: 2.73 Ring Gear: 7 5/8

Now that my car has really come a long way and everyone who walks by in my ally, from people pulling cans out of the trash - man, they fight over those things! - to hobos, to surfers heading to the beach, to crackheads to hot chicks hitting the bars, to my neighbors, etc. see me doing all this work on my car every day after work and all weekend. I KNOW someone is waiting for me to finish it before it ends up being stolen and getting raced in Ensenada!

I do want to get an alarm or something but I just don't know what works.

These cars DO GET STOLEN. You see how much all the parts can sell for. And I think it's a easy car to steal.

In 2003, I got my mint '88 Formula broken into (it had whatever OEM security system on it, cut off keypad I think? It didn't prevent anything) in my complex parking garage and I don't live in a horrible area in San Diego. It was all like 5% tint, you could NOT see in the car to see the Kenwood Stereo, Rockford Fosgate amps and Cerwin Vega speakers and subs...unless you worked at the car wash across the street. The car wash employees saw me come home every day with some killer tunes playing. They of course were also inside the car when I had them wash it. WELL, while they were robbing it, I must have spooked them because I go to the gym crazy early and they took off leaving all their tools and a shop rag FROM THE CAR WASH in the front seat! After the police told me a shop rag wasn't enough proof (OJ's glove?) I stormed over to the car wash, I'm a pretty scary looking dude and let them have it...yeah... uh...um...not scary enough...the next month they stole the whole car AND my brand new Suzuki GSX-R750! I remember calling my Mom and telling her, when I was in that kinda shocked state you get in when your car isn't where you put it! and she said "Are you drunk?" Thanks, Ma. LOL. That's not even the worst of it! A month later my stolen car got some sort of a parking ticket, where it sat gutted on blocks in front of a hydrant practically in Mexico! I deployed aboard ship for 6 months at this time, so I got the ticket 6 months later! I don't ever want to hear someone has worse luck than me! Why would a meter-maid ticket a stolen car? What do I pay ridiculously high taxes for in this town?! I faxed them their own police report and my deployment orders and ALL the info and they said there was nothing they could do about it!!! So to this day I have one outstanding parking ticket from 10 years ago. Scr*w them! Then I got a new Vette (got the tires stolen off that in DC! They just dropped it on its belly!) and missed my Bird the whole time. That's why I had to get my '89 Formula! That sorta sounds like a happy ending? No?!

Sorry about my long story (bored at lunch). I want to get a aftermarket alarm, it would be nice to have the remote door locks (so I don't scratch up my key holes) and trunk release but my next door neighbor has a fairly nice newer car with a aftermarket alarm and that thing just detonates all the time, then it won't start because the alarm won't let it sometimes and his girlfriend got stuck driving it home with the alarm going off! I've heard about all these problems with, I believe its VIPER car alarms? It also brings your insurance down a bit.

What alarms do you guys recommend?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Car: '89 rs convertible
Engine: ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

You gotta keep in mind that alarms are not designed to catch a thief but to deter them from stealing your car. Personally , I like the Viper alarms . Good product , good warranty , and they keep refining it year after year. An alarm only works as good as it is installed so shell out the bucks to get a quality install .
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

Personally I prefer a Baretta 92FS, it's very accurate, anything much larger and it's a murder rap....
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula 350
Engine: Forged 385 H/C/I
Transmission: 700R4-4300 Stall-lockup
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3:70

pull the fuel pump or ecm fuse
Old 05-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come

Originally Posted by badjuju342
You gotta keep in mind that alarms are not designed to catch a thief but to deter them from stealing your car. Personally , I like the Viper alarms . Good product , good warranty , and they keep refining it year after year. An alarm only works as good as it is installed so shell out the bucks to get a quality install .
I have a Viper alarm in my truck and the sensitivity is set slightly lower so that it does not go off all the time. It works good but all it can do is keep honest people honest. I had back glass and both rear doors glass broken and my stereo stolen in less than 2 minutes. This was at about 3 AM so I had to wake up enough to know what the noise was. I have since figured out a way to make the stereo harder to steal.
I personally like the smoke bomb idea and the magnetic switch idea.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

TPI-Formula has the right idea, make the car so it can't be stolen, kill switch, etc....
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Pulling fuses and all that will not prevent a degenerate from smashing your window and stealing your stereo or gauges and whatever else he can get his d*ck-skinners on. I put a massive flood light on the wall over me and my neighbors car, that goes on at night. It's lit up like Yankee Stadium!

Viper is the way to go? And have a pro do it, huh? I may go that route. If the alarm off, my car is within 5.56 range of my bedroom window.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350

Someone told me one time that if you always pull forward into a spot and turn the wheels it makes it really hard for a would be thief with a tow truck to steal it or is that just a load of b.s.?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Originally Posted by J91
Personally I prefer a Baretta 92FS, it's very accurate, anything much larger and it's a murder rap....
If you're buying guns to injure people - you're doing something wrong.

Make a quick disconnect for the ignition or the fuel pump.. something you can carry with you everywhere you go (if you're the type that never loses things).
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 AM

I got the Viper, heard good things about it. I got the model that buzzes the keychain when someone is messing with it. (2000ft range) Do have it professionally installed unless you are VERY good at wiring. Our cars are older, easy to mess up the wiring. BTW - i had an 87IROC in 1990-92 in LAX when they were like the 2nd or 3rd most stolen car at the time. Had a clifford on it, in the stolen car capital of the US (at the time) and someone only touched it once. Alarm scared them off. Folks are right, if someone REALLY wants it, they'll get it, your job is to make them move on to something easier/safer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

cant steal a car with no steering wheel
Name:  IMG_8939.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3272.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  70.4 KB
Old 05-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I agree with IROZINCO,
My job is to do just that,make it harder to steal than the next car.
I started with a basic alarm system.
I have the Python (460 hp) alarm system. It is made by Directed Electronics Inc. Thats the same company that makes the Viper systems. It is car motion and impact sensitive system that kills the starter while throwing out a nice loud siren. Having the door locks being controlled by the key fob is really a nice touch. It has a few other functions but I never use them .(Panic button, valet switch, etc. )I also have the VATS system wired to a kill switch if I think I need it.(I ran a VATS bypass . It no longer runs through the column.) My CD/Stereo came with a detachable face .When you take it off there's a flashing red LED were the face was. So the first thing they see are two flashing LEDs one where the stereo should be and the other one that the system came with. I had it mounted just below the shifter plate in front of the glove box along with a small stick on tag that says “Python Security systems.”There is also a small tag on the rear hatch saying the same thing. Including install it ran $125.00. At that price I really could not pass it up. . I suggest start with a basic car alarm and then install a simple kill switch in case you really think you need it.
Ive got to say,
IMO, if you don't start with a basic car alarm system that will be a "obvious" first line of defence and something that shouts "This car is protected" than your not going about it properly. Everything after the system ,and you can use your "This will stop any one tactics".

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 07-27-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Car: 88 RS Camaro,70 chevelle,92 Geo
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Sleep in your car? Ive been sleeping inside my for a week now.. I just coudent sell it and buy a mini van... The big dash now comes in handy
Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

Hidden push to start?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS/1989 Formula
Engine: 5.0 L03 V8
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Get "the club" for like 30 bucks its a big bar that locks to your steering wheel so its impossible to drive.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ronusmc
I agree with IROZINCO,
My job is to do just that,make it harder to steal than the next car.
I started with a basic alarm system.
I have the Python (460 hp) alarm system. It is made by Directed Electronics Inc. Thats the same company that makes the Viper systems. It is car motion and impact sensitive system that kills the starter while throwing out a nice loud siren. Having the door locks being controlled by the key fob is really a nice touch. It has a few other functions but I never use them .(Panic button, valet switch, etc. )I also have the VATS system wired to a kill switch if I think I need it.(I ran a VATS bypass . It no longer runs through the column.) My CD/Stereo came with a detachable face .When you take it off there's a flashing red LED were the face was. So the first thing they see are two flashing LEDs one where the stereo should be and the other one that the system came with. I had it had mounted just below the shifter plate in front of the glove box along with a small stick on tag that says “Python Security systems.”There is also a small tag on the rear hatch saying the same thing. Including install it ran $125.00. At that price I really could not pass it up. . I suggest start with a basic car alarm and then install a simple kill switch in case you really think you need it.
Ive got to say,
IMO, if you don't start with a basic car alarm system that will be a "obvious" first line of defence and something that shouts "This car is protected" than your not going about it properly. Everything after the system ,and you can use your "This will stop any one tactics".
Only $125? That's a great price.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come

Originally Posted by PUNISH3R
Only $125? That's a great price.
$125 is a very good price. As mentioned above the python security system is made by the same company as the viper. I know it is usually a little cheaper to buy than the viper but that is real cheap. In case anyone is wondering it is actually the exact same alarm system as a viper. I am using a python remote for mine because it is identical to my original and cheaper and easier to find.
I fianlly heard rumors that someone in my neighborhood burnt up the factory radio wiring in there vehicle recently. I am laughing because I feel in my mind that they were trying to install the stereo that was stolen from me. Why? Because the directions that I have state that the factory full time hot wire for the memory etc can not be used and to run a new 10 gauge wire to the battery in place of it.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 05-23-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I was looking over my receipts on the Python system with install ,it was over 6 years ago and it was on special/sale price of $125.00 including install. Actual price would have been $79.00 + $100.00 for install. Sorry about that. A difference of $54.00. Still a good buy if you ask me.I called Best Buy and there systems now start at $200.00 that's including install.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 06-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

I bought a Viper 5901 system off EBay for $200, tilt sensor for another $30 and spent 3 days wiring the whole thing in myself.

Everything is functional right down to the rear defroster control. Starter kill while armed, loud siren and remote keyfob with a 1 mile radius. I'm even going to study the manual again to see about having one of the auxiliary channels on the alarm disable the fuel pump via a relay. The tilt sensor will trigger the alarm in the event that someone tries towing the vehicle. I'm also going to add some high powered peizo sirens to the inside of the car.

Anyone sets the alarm off, the keychain starts beeping and out the door I go with the biggest sharpest object I can find. God help them once I buy my GP100.

Lojack might be on my list once the bodywork gets done. Aside from all that, there's all sorts of crazy ideas you can come up with. I was toying with the idea of a homemade capacitive discharge system once using two disposable flash camera capacitors. I've accidentally shocked myself doing this before and believe me 600VDC will get the message across.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM

You could very easily hook a stun gun to the Drivers seat. My buddy did it in the custom James Bond 007 edition Ford Escort he made! Hahaha! You need to run a metal strip through the seat under the driver's knees and another metal strip across where the drivers shoulders are. Wire them through the seat to a stun gun or cattle prod under the seat. Once the villain tries to start the car, the stun gun will go off sending charges through the metal strips and into the criminal. Once zapped he will instinctively arch his back hitting the upper sensor strip or try to get his back off it and it will zap him under the knees. He's also pined in there by the steering wheel and probably closed the door. There really is no escaping it...I KNOW! AND IT HURT! Why I have friends like I do, I don't know!

That car also had Spy Hunter smoke screen! I think it dumped anti-freeze at the end of the exhaust or something. It worked awesome.

A good old fashion 1911 is still the best deterrent.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 AM

Car: 87 Black Irocz28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3:73 richmend axles and eaton gears

1st and foremost ....Never let your neighbors know you have a system in your car....just don't play it loud near your home ...

another thing that I do ..Is take the amp apart ..switch the pos and neg from one side to the other ...on the inside ...so that way on the outside of the amp your hooking the power to the neg and the ground to the pos....so if it dose get taken ..there going to fry it ...

also razor blades in the heat sinks and back of radio ..and sirens from alarm inside and out ...

often when a system is targeted its by someone that knows you ...it might be a friend that you have beers with all the time or lets say your best friend is at his job bragging about his friends car ( your car ) he doesn't ( your friend ) mean any harm to you and your car..but he is telling guys he works with about your car and someone he works with starts paying a lot of attention ..to him and then your car now has a target on it ...

One neat thing I found years ago ..When pep boys opened in Toledo ...Was something made by crime stopper ...It looked like a fishing reel..
you bolted it to the floor of your car and hooked the line to the inside of your trunk/Hatch ..It had a power switch with a timer ,,you hit it and you had 30sec or more to open trunk and it also had a cable to it that you could pull to open if your power went out in your car.......I had a cutlass at the time and had the cable ran from trunk down the drivers side through the back seat ....I haven't looked but I don,t know if they still make that or not....it was about $50
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

I'm attempting to come up with a way to 'slice- off' the very front 1/4 inch of the factory radio that came with the equalizer. Then I'll make that into a magnetic mounted face-plate where I can mount a great stereo into the dash, and then 'pop the old front unit' over the front of the new system. Who's going to want to steal the 25 year old factory system? Find a way to cover your hi end speakers with some sort of snap off plate covered with the old interior fabric or carpet when you're not thumpin it around town. I'm a big believer in kill switches and alarm switches. The harder it looks, the more often the ameuter thieves will move on to someone else's ride first.

Quick Reply: Best Affordable Anti-Theft Devices?