Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 cu 5,7 liter
Transmission: automatic r700
Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?

Hi thirdgen members,

Hopefully someone has got the answer to this, I couldn't find any info about it on the internet: I have a 1986 Chevy Camaro Z28, but when they build the new engine in ( 350 ) they removed the ECM and all of its components. I now have the opportunity to buy a digital dash for a thirdgen Camaro made by Intellitronix, My question is: will it work without the ECM or is that computer necessary to operate the digital dash? If anyone knows how this works, please let me know, i'll be greatly thankful for your answer!

Also everybody a very happy en merry Christmas!!

greets Finnie
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?

i think it will work without the ECM-just will need the right senders if the intellitronix uses senders different from stock '86 camaro.Welcome to TGO-there are a few other dutch guys on here too
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Hi 8t2 z-chev,

Thanks for your answer, I already thought something like that, I have no idea how to come about those kind of senders / sensors here in the Netherlands.... until this past year I visited the states twice a year ( mostly California, Nevada and Florida ), but with my daughter becoming 3 years of age ( full ticket price at any airline ) and the bad economy here I'm not in the position to go "shopping" in the states for these senders. Do you know of a webshop that sells these kind of senders and will ship them to the Netherlands at a reasonable rate?
thanks in advance for your answer, appreciate it!
btw, what does TGO mean ?( I'm kind of a newbe )
Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: '82 z28
Engine: L83 5.7
Transmission: 700r4-1985
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

TGO: ThirdGen.Org.If the intellitronix guages do use different than original senders and they are not included with gauge panel,you might have to experiment to identify what senders are needed to get correct readings.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM

Hi,

TGO, first time I've seen this, now I know what it means.... I didn't bought the dash just yet, I first wanted to know if there would be problems ( I have seen threats from people who had a very hard time building these things into there cars and got them to work properly ). The seller will send me some more pictures from all around the dash, so I can see what is included with it, he didn't know much about it, so he couldn't tell if senders were needed or not. I love my Camaro, but I'm no big techno freak so I hope I can tackle the problems that will come forward during the install. the stock mech. speedo that's in my car right now doesn't operate as it should, that's the reason why I want(ed) to buy this digital dash.

Thanks for your advice in this, I will search further for the right senders for my vehicle!

greets Finnie
Old 12-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt

Finnie, if it doesn't come with the senders that came with the panel, you can contact the company direct for them. they will sell them individually. the senders that are needed will not be visible at the dash. you need the temp sender, speed sensor, and oil sender. if you get te install instructions from the company it isn't that bad. i just did mine on a '91 this past summer. instructions help loads as they use different wire colors than factory.

Last edited by 87zjeff; 12-25-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-25-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: n/a
Transmission: n/a
Axle/Gears: 3.27, I think

I put Intellitronix 6 gauge digital universal cluster in my 87 Silverado. If you don't have the sending units, then go to intellitronix.com and look at the sending units.

Since you have a cable driven speedo now, the sending unit you'll need is S9013. Temperature sending unit is S8013. Oil pressure sending unit is S8434.

Gas gauge will work with the original sending unit in your car.

Also their speedo sending unit puts out 8000 ppm.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

When I swapped in my 350HO Deluxe, the ECM was removed. While removal had no effect on gauges, I did have to reground my cruise control as seen below (Note that the blue and green wires are for the backup lights on a T-5):

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...-function.html

You may find the following installation video interesting:

JamesC
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Hi everybody,
Finally the seller has send me some detailed pictures of the gauge and the stuff that will come with it, It's not a intellitronix dash like he sayed in his email before, but instead it's a Cyberdyne dash. I don't know if there is a difference between those gauges, but I posted some detailed pictures of the parts here, can anybody tell me if the sensors I will need are included or not? There are some parts that are attached to to wireing, don't know if they are sensors or what... thanks in advance for your reply!!
Attached Thumbnails Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?-image.jpeg   Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?-image-1-.jpeg   Intellitronix digital dash on Camaro 1986 without ECM?-image-2-.jpeg  

Last edited by Finnie; 01-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM

They look like my 2001 technologies setup ... Uses stock odometer setup from original cluster, if it is like mine it uses the stock sending units but then uses a inline VSS sensor that connects to the speedometer cable.

These were in a 82 vette though

Name:  DSCF0870.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  DSCF0866.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0871.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  DSCF0877.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  156.7 KB
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA
They look like my 2001 technologies setup ... Uses stock odometer setup from original cluster, if it is like mine it uses the stock sending units but then uses a inline VSS sensor that connects to the speedometer cable.

These were in a 82 vette though

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it a lot, did you also see the third picture? Don't know what that metal thing on the wire is about, maybe some kind of sensor? The inline VSS sensor you are pointing out, is that the small yellow block behind the gauge leading out of the odometer? If possible, please reply, i want to buy it, but don't want a gauge with many problems to make it work correcly... Thanks!!!
Greetz Finnie
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM

The 3rd pic is the VSS for the digital speedo. The vss for the ecm is on the back of the cluster but since you don't have a ecm won't matter.

Just put that VSS between your speedo cable and trans and it will drive the odometer gears and provide a pulse for the digital speedo.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: n/a
Transmission: n/a
Axle/Gears: 3.27, I think

Originally Posted by Finnie
Hi everybody,
Finally the seller has send me some detailed pictures of the gauge and the stuff that will come with it, It's not a intellitronix dash like he sayed in his email before, but instead it's a Cyberdyne dash. I don't know if there is a difference between those gauges, but I posted some detailed pictures of the parts here, can anybody tell me if the sensors I will need are included or not? There are some parts that are attached to to wireing, don't know if they are sensors or what... thanks in advance for your reply!!
The yellow box that says AC (AC Delco) VSS buffer box, which was used for the ECM and cruise control.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM

The 3rd pic is the VSS for the digital speedo. The vss for the ecm is on the back of the cluster but since you don't have a ecm won't matter.

Just put that VSS between your speedo cable and trans and it will drive the odometer gears and provide a pulse for the digital speedo.

Sorry to bother you again, thanks again for your reply, but do you think i need any more sensors for it to work correcly? ( I mean everything, oil, water temp. And engine temp. And also the rpm ), or is that part covered with what you can detect on the pictures?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Sorry to bother you again, thanks again for your reply, but do you think i need any more sensors for it to work correcly? ( I mean everything, oil, water temp. And engine temp. And also the rpm ), or is that part covered with what you can detect on the pictures?
RPM will just be from one of the wires in the cluster pigtails.

Mine didn't need different sending units

I believe 2001 technologies was bought out by itteltronix at some point. Your pictured VSS looks different then what mine does.

all my gauges worked fine using the stock 82 vette sending units. However can't say for certain your will. The sending units aren't that much anyways. Most you would need is oil pressure sending unit and maybe coolant temp. How much you buying it for?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 PM

RPM will just be from one of the wires in the cluster pigtails.

Mine didn't need different sending units

I believe 2001 technologies was bought out by itteltronix at some point. Your pictured VSS looks different then what mine does.

all my gauges worked fine using the stock 82 vette sending units. However can't say for certain your will. The sending units aren't that much anyways. Most you would need is oil pressure sending unit and maybe coolant temp. How much you buying it for?

It's offered to me for 50 bucks as is, but the seller has to send it to me, it's to far to collect it personally. So, in total it will be around 60 dollar.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM

It's offered to me for 50 bucks as is, but the seller has to send it to me, it's to far to collect it personally. So, in total it will be around 60 dollar.
Thats a good deal, bought mine for 50.00 so compared to what they are new you got a deal even if you have to buy a couple sending units.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Thats a good deal, bought mine for 50.00 so compared to what they are new you got a deal even if you have to buy a couple sending units.
I also think It's priced right, but I live in the Netherlands, so getting the right senders ( if any ) could be a problem. I visit the states at least once a year, but I think I have to order those by mail, there won't be a store selling those....
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM

I also think It's priced right, but I live in the Netherlands, so getting the right senders ( if any ) could be a problem. I visit the states at least once a year, but I think I have to order those by mail, there won't be a store selling those....
talk to a guy named twin_turbo on here, he is from you area and might be able to shed more light on shipping. I sent him a car and TPI system I can't imagine sending units be that much of a issue to send.