Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Alston SFC (My experience)

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 305 L69 (E4ME)
Transmission: NWC T5 1352-072
Axle/Gears: 3.73 (6HS)
Alston SFC (My experience)

My car is stock. Did not have any SFC’s previously on it.

I spent hours reading the posts on TGO. There are clearly a lot of choices out there. Since I was so impressed with the results with the TDS wonder bar I got, I figured the Alston SFC’s they sell had to be just as good.

Dyno Don in Southern California installed them for me. Great guy and knows his stuff. He had them welded in under an hour. He has done many of these. All he had to do was unbolt the fuel/brake lines and move them a little bit. No cutting or dis-assembly of the exhaust was required. The Alston SFC’s fit like they were always part of the car. They just went right in. I had thought about first bolting them in and I have to say a complete waste of time. Welding was clearly the faster, easier and strongest way to go.

The results are great. No more door rattling or creaking T-tops. The car body no longer feels like it flexes with the rest of the suspension going down the road. It feels very solid. I would describe the car as now having a “spine.”

There are not any clearance issues. I would say they hang at the same level as the stock exhaust.

I would recommend Alston SFC’s to anyone…..
Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 AFR-195 FIRST Fuel Inj.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: ??
Re: Alston SFC (My experience)

Thanks for sharing. I hope to eventually do the same to my car and feedback like this helps.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92
Re: Alston SFC (My experience)

Although not Alston (I bought Hotchkis because of the deal), I can attest to the difference SFCs make. In less than 1 minute of driving, I already noticed that most rattles and creaks almost disappeared, the car seemed straighter and cornered better.

The best analogy I can think of for SFCs? Think about how a girl looked (clothed) with her old bra, compared to when she was later seen in a push-up bra. Same difference!