Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Aftermarket AC delete box

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket AC delete box

Well, I had removed all my AC components being I rarely use air and to clean up the engine bay.
The last piece I needed was too replace was my heater box with a non ac box.
So, I ordered one I found online.
The piece arrived and looked high quality etc.
The problem did not come to light until I tried to test fit it.
Sadly, I reckon the mold was not intended to be used with my headers or should I say my headers where not taken into account during the making of. I even talked to the seller and sent him pictures of the fitment problem. He mentioned he had never seen headers like that before. They are Edelbrock AIR equipped headers (I removed the AIR tubes and welded the holes).
My options where to return it which the seller would gladly refund or to modify it.
I had never glassed before so, decided this would be a great learning exsperience. I had to cut according to my needs then make a small section mold. Then start glassing.
Here are some pictures in progress.

After all painted etc it turned out great IMHO.
Just modifying the box was not the only thing that needed addressed though. The blower cage rubbed ever so lightly so, I had to trim a about 1/8 off the very end all the way around. Not a big deal but, not something I planned on.

Anyhow I wanted to let anyone know that if you have these style headers (350 crate motor) and decide to order one of these boxes be prepared to do some modifications.
I think it turned out great and the seller went ahead and agreed to reimburse me for the supplies (fiberglass kit) to modify (like 18-19$).
Here are some pictures completed and if you look closely you can see in the one pictured how the number two cylinder head pipe comes up over and real close too the heater box near the firewall.

Although I had to put in some extra work I must say I was more then happy not only with the quality of the product but the treatment of the person I purchased it from. I would do it all over again if needed.

Last edited by TheCardinal; 05-21-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears
Re: Aftermarket AC delete box

I have that same exact box except with an LS. It is a PITA to put in cause of my coil packs. with the packs removed i ended up notching it to slide on the little stud over near the heater core on the firewall. Other than that i am pleased with it.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 PM

Yes, I had a heck of a time getting the nut off that stud as ot just spun. I could not get a wrench on it from inside as it appears to be behind the heater core. I got it off so, my solution for getting the nut tight was to tack weld the stud to the firewall. Problem solved and no notching required.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

I dont have a nut there. but I did seal the inner perimeter of the box with caulk. i currently have the box out as im working in that area but if does what i need it to. I only with they provided the little hole for blower motor hose
Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 z28
Engine: 93 LT1 350
Axle/Gears: 7.625" 28 spline 3.23

Since this is in the product review section would you care to mention who the manufacturer is?
I have the same headers and would prefer to not mod a new part.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:39 PM

I have no idea who the actual maker is but, it was purchased off Eb@y
I suspect you going to have a problem finding one that will fit if you not willing to do some modifications. They do not come with the Blower Motor hole/tube so, you must fab a new one in. They also are not pre-cut for the resistor either.