Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

anyone ever had their intake extrude honed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2006 Corvette
Engine: LS2
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
anyone ever had their intake extrude honed?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had the extrude hone process performed on thier TPI manifold (the complete package : plenum, base manifold, and runners). How much does ths procedure cost? If i got all new components from companies like TPIS, it will cost me over $1000 for all the TPI peices. I figured i could save some money and just have the stock components ported. I'm kinda on a budget, and its about time to upgrade the restrictive TPI intake on my 350. Thanks for yor input.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello, there is adaquate info on these boards regarding porting of the tpi...i never seed an extrude hone done on it but its wonderous what a few hrs and a dremel can do to this intake... i dont have any links being i have been away for a while but there is a ton of info on these boards..it is how i learned

-Stell
Old 12-26-2001, 12:42 PM

Extrudehoning is reserved for the cars that do not have the aftermarket base that the TPI cars do, so I dought that it would be less expensive. Plus you are dyno proven with most companies. On the other hand, you wouldn't have to change the cam to get peak performance.

If you would like to save moh-lah, I would think dremel porting and polishing the base to match some aftermarket runners would be best. Combined with a bigger throttle body and maybe an air foil, you would make desent power.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
Hold on to your dollars! According to this thread at https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...threadid=39006 it was $580 for the superram runners and accel base. Yeow! Not exactly low-buck as far as I'm concerned. You might pick up a used SuperRam for that kind of money; definitely a ported base and runners for sure.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Corvette
Engine: LS2
Axle/Gears: 3.42s
Well, i want to get into the 12s, and with all the easy bolt on items already done, ill only be in the low 13s to 13 flat. The next step would be to replace the restrictive, designed for the 305, TPI intake. The Accel Superram intake w runners goes for $750. Then the Accel base manifold runs $500+. Thats about $1300! If i go with TPIS stuff : port matched plenum ($100), runners ($500), and a port matched big mouth manifold ($500), thats still a hefty $1100. Im not very adept with a dremel tool, so i dont think i could port the stock stuff myself. i was hoping getting a set of less expensive runners (SLP - $275), bolting them to the stock upper and lower manifolds, and then having the assembly extrude honed, and hopefully not paying as much as either the Accel or TPIS stuff. Do they have a website were i could look up prices? Thanks

Last edited by tpivette89; 12-27-2001 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2001, 04:48 PM

Car: 1983 25th Anny Daytona 500 T/A
Engine: Stock...inoperative... 305
Transmission: Automatic
http://www.extrudehone.com/
Good luck!
Rob

Originally posted by tpivette89
Well, i want to get into the 12s, and with all the easy bolt on items already done, ill only be in the low 13s to 13 flat. The next step would be to replace the restrictive, designed for the 305, TPI intake. The Accel Superram intake w runners goes for $750. Then the Accel base manifold runs $500+. Thats about $1300! If i go with TPIS stuff : port matched plenum ($100), runners ($500), and a port matched big mouth manifold ($500), thats still a hefty $1100. Im not very adept with a dremel tool, so i dont think i could port the stock stuff myself. i was hoping getting a set of less expensive runners (SLP - $275), bolting them to the stock upper and lower manifolds, and then having the assembly extrude honed, and hopefully not paying as much as either the Accel or TPIS stuff. Do they have a website were i could look up prices? Thanks
Old 12-29-2001, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
I had extrude honed SLP runners, TPIS base and plenum at one point. It was still a dog even with AFR190's. I swapped to the mini ram and picked up a lot of HP.

Not worth the expense in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:46 AM

This was brought up on the vette boards,and come to find out, one guy who was interested in extrude honing decided against it when he got the quote to do the base,runners,etc.
It was very expensive and not worth it.I dont recall the exact figures but it was well over 600 dollars to do so.

If more HP is your goal,long tube runners just wont flow enough air even in extruded form to support a rpm powerband over 4500,maybe 4700 if youre lucky.
Not trying to tell you not to extrude,but do be sure you compare quote prices and decide if its worth it compared to high flowing parts on the market.Extrude hone may help with a few ponies but still wont change the length of the long runners.

Also, you ever pull a TPI apart? Over time it gets alot of carbon build up...extrude hone may cut some of that down but not much.Carbon build up makes the insides smaller and restricts airflow a little bit.When I had my TPI boiled and cleaned at a machine shop,and

I mean the intake,runners,and plenum etc,it was like new in and out and bolting it all back on made the car feel really good again.
It was getting that new car like maximum air flow again.I had also ported the plenum some and opened it up inside a bit too.
My carbon was real bad and I imagine it restricted airlfow a little bit.
Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:40 PM

What???

Get rid of the whole system.. And find a Mini ram intake or do what I did. Get a single plane high rise Intake, Get a plenum adapter Accel Part # 74882 and bolt on your Throttle Body.. The TPI stops making power around 5k Rpm and the Miniram stops making power at around 5600-6000rpm. And the Super Ram I have seen the guys at the track bringing extra gaskets cause there is just to much plenum space to bolt down and they blow out. With my setup it was cheap.. Around a grand. And I can make power up to 7500rpm (the limit on my intake) And guess what the NOS kit is really chaep cause I put it between the plenum adapter and the intake with a spacer!!!

Love that Horsepower!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 ZR-1
Engine: LT-5
Transmission: ZF-6
Axle/Gears: SuperDana 44 4.10
You guys with TPI are fortunate because you have some alternatives. With an Xfire, if you want to stay stock, there aren't many. Some people go the way of an Xram. Not convinced its any better than port matching a stock Xfire manifold. I had my Xfire manifold port matched to TFS 23 deg heads, then had manifold base EH'd. For the Xfire, I think the benefits are keeping the cross section smaller(which porting of the runner doesn't do) yet fooling the runner to flow more because of "polishing" of the inner runner walls. Also, EH leaves a microfine finish on the walls that I believe acts like airfoils, straightening and directing the airflow thereby reducing turbulence. It doesn't make the runners bigger. They just act that way.