Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Review Hawk's Motorsports 8.8 Rear End for Camaro & Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro convertible
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6l80
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 3.31 torsen t2r
Re: Review Hawk's Motorsports 8.8 Rear End for Camaro & Firebird

Be aware that Hawk's doe's not allow any negative reviews of it's parts on it's site.I posted a review of the 8.8 I bought from them, both the good and the bad , And they refused to post it.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Originally Posted by kestell123
Be aware that Hawk's doe's not allow any negative reviews of it's parts on it's site.I posted a review of the 8.8 I bought from them, both the good and the bad , And they refused to post it.
Post them here. What was the bad?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 PM

I do not want to bad mouth Hawks, But I will be honest about my experience. I ordered my 8.8 forth gen width ,Ls backing plates, powder coated with 3.31 gears and a trutrac. About $3000. When it arrived it was well palleted and the fabrication looked very good. The powder coating is near show quality. Before I installed it I noticed the it had a lot of free play, I measured 10 degrees of rotation at the yolk with no axle movement.I called Hawks and was told it was caused by the trutrac, some unit have it some don't.But not to worry it won't cause a problem. I installed it.On first drive I noted not only excess free play but whine on desel.I called Hawks and was told that the whine was also caused by the trutrac.The trutrac doe's have internal worm gears but in a strait line drive where both axles are turning at the same speed the worm gears will be stationary in relation to each other, there fore the whine can only be caused by the ring and pinion. Because I was being told that the excess free play was caused by the trutrac I ask Bruce if a Torsen was an option. Bruce said it was not available for the 8.8. When I pointed out that the Torsen web site said it was he agreed to trade the trutrac for a Torsen for an extra $250.00. I would need to arrange and pay for the swap locally.When my Installer opened up the 8.8 he found that half or more of the excess free play was caused by excess backlash not the Trutrac.The carrier bearings were Koyo,They showed some wear on the races which may or may not be normal after two months in the car, but the axle bearing were NO NAME bearing. They felt like they had gravel in them and had to be replaced. He also found that the pinion depth was wrong and that was causing the gear whine. Without completely redoing the whole setup [more cost] he could not get rid of the whine. I opted to live with the whine because after doing the math, $3,000+$250+another $50 to send back the Trutrac+ hundreds more Dollars to swap the Torsen in reset the backlash and press new bearing on the carrier and axles I am much closer to $4000 than $3000 and though I don't think this rearend will break it is noisy and irritating to drive. Bruce may or my not have fixed the problems with the 8.8 build quality but my advice is to buy a bare powder coated housing From Hawks and have it built locally

Last edited by kestell123; 12-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Hmmm interesting. That sucks! I was thinking of going with them as I have a ford 8.8 now in my car but its 28 spline with a stock posi that I upgraded with SVO carbon fiber clutches. ARP cap studs, Moser support Girdle and solid piñon spacer with Ford stock 3.55 gears. The rear is as quiet as can be! Its loosing alittle fluid out the nose seal which it shouldn't have being less than 1k miles on it but still its quiet and hasn't given me any issues.

I can't believe these rears cost 3k!! Almost as much as a 9" or a Dana 60.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

Kestell thank you for sharing your experience with the 8.8 - so far both of my 8.8's have been trouble free. If issues occur I will provide details.

​​​​
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

To be honest for that price you should be
be looking at the fab 9 units. Idk why someone would do an 8.8 over a Ford 9. If weight is a concern, stay away from the dana 60s. But I wouldn't be picking a 8.8 over a 9 to save a few lbs. I paid over 4k for mine bit its fab 9 trutrac aluminum center section 35 spline strange and yukon 3.50 gears. Basically bullet proof with a tq arm. It weighs about as much as my 9 bolt I took out. In my opinion if your going after market rear use what most others do, a ford 9.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
be looking at the fab 9 units. Idk why someone would do an 8.8 over a Ford 9. If weight is a concern, stay away from the dana 60s. But I wouldn't be picking a 8.8 over a 9 to save a few lbs. I paid over 4k for mine bit its fab 9 trutrac aluminum center section 35 spline strange and yukon 3.50 gears. Basically bullet proof with a tq arm. It weighs about as much as my 9 bolt I took out. In my opinion if your going after market rear use what most others do, a ford 9.
The Ford 8.8, built right is a stout rear end. The new Mustangs still have a version of it, IIRC with a larger ring and pinion. But the 11-14 Coyote Mustangs had the same rear and they survive in supercharged applications making over 600 horsepower. It is a good rear if built properly. For 3 grand, Hawks should have given him a rear that was set up right. A shame that they do not stand by their product.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
common misconception. The 9” has a 9” ring gear DIA hence the name. The ford 8.8” has a 8.8” ring gear... .2” doesn’t cause a huge loss in weakness. The 9” gets its strength from its multitude of housing configurations (like the fab 9”) and its easily reinforced and built. It also has a offset piñon which adds its strength but it also eats a good bit of power compared to the 8.8 or the stock 7.5”. I’ve seen a 9” litterally fall out of the back of car at the track at take off. I personally think the 9” is an old design and prefer something else. Hence why I went 8.8 but mine cost me like $500 total lol. I don’t think I would pay 3k or more for an 8.8. If I were to spend money it would be on a strange 60 or equivalent.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

it IS a bigger ring gear.. BUT.
the pinon support and support bearing are what makes the 9" live under beatings.as it stops the back of the pinon gear from Deflecting away from the ring gear.. this is the weak point in unsupported types of rears.. the fact the pinon is moved lower on the ring gear is why it eats about 9 to 12 hp.. but ya add something others don't have as much of....Strength... and the fact ya can swap gears in about an 1 hr..or hit it with 600HP even on stock units and it will take it...and with after market units that will take 1200HP+ its just an easy upgrade.. some ford type parts are cool..

9" and never think about it again.. ..below bolt through Aluminum housings. billet Daytona pinon suports Detroit locker carriers w/Billet 1350 yokes..cost on doing them ran about $900 ea..shop and save...or pay a ball park of $1300ea

and right now ya can get a aluminum housing to even drop another 18LBS off for under $250 (black fri sales)
I'm doing another...locker unit from just spare parts..layn in a box...(for $350)...the cost of a housing and billet yoke..
Below..
the old cast iron housing with a Daytona pinon suport...a nascar upgrade by ford from the 70s on the 9". larger bearings on ea side of the pinon. with better lube feed..

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 11-25-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have anymore experience with a Hawk 8.8? Any high horsepower cars with sticky tires launching on an M6? How are these 8.8s holding up?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by norbit2
Anyone else have anymore experience with a Hawk 8.8? Any high horsepower cars with sticky tires launching on an M6? How are these 8.8s holding up?
Should easily hold 500+hp, how much hp are you looking at running?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
Should easily hold 500+hp, how much hp are you looking at running?

My goal is 700WHP between an LS3 and Supercharger on sticky drag radials and a full weight car.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 92 camaro RS
Engine: LSA
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: TNT 8.8 wavetrac 3.73

Hawk's said its rated to a 1000hp with a spool 750hp with the truetrac.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Hey guys, I bought this rear end a few months ago and I'm trying to adjust it and get it fitted. It seems like a great rear end. I'm very excited about it. However the fitment is extremely challenging. I'm running to clearance issues due to its pumpkin size, by the upper panhard bar*? area.
I have Founders adjustable lower panhard bar, adj. Lower control arms, I opted for the relocating brackets and have it on the Lowest setting currently. ..I may bring it up more. When I go to install the adj. Founders torque arm bracket, there's is 100% no clearance for it. For those of you who are lowered, what adjustable Tq arm did you go with?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 PM

My 91 RS is lowered on Eibach Sportlines Pro's and probably 1 1/4 inches lower than stock in the rear.

The RS has Sphon LCA's and adjustable Panhard. Poly one end and rotor joint on the other. Hawk's didn't mention any issues when installing the 8.8 rear end. We reused the Sphon LCA's and Panhard that had been on the car for several years with the stock rear end.

The Hawk's 8.8 rear end in my 99 TA survived the car being stolen and being driven like it was stolen. The new 416 engine didn't survive. The Magnum T56 survived. The McCloud twin discuss RXT clutched survived. Idiot thieves couldn't drive a stick very well, missed a shift. and grenaded the valve train and a couple of pistons with the mechanical over-rev. The 99 TA was recovered and finally the 416 is back together and running. The 8.8 is as good as ever. The tires are missing a lot of tread.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Arctic White 91 RS; 05-23-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: On
Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 PM

My car, a 1991 camaro LS 6L80 swap is not lowered. I also have lowering brackets for the lower control arms and am on the lowest setting.the only fitment issue I had was with the torqe arm mounting bolts being obstructed by two 'ears' on the top of the center section. Hawks suggested that I 'tap' it in with a hammer, that may have worked,but I was afraid removal would not be possible so I cut the front half inch of the drivers 'ear' off.I also made a bracket so I could reuse my stock brake lines.I mounted the splitter on an offset bracket
Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Ford F-150 Limited, 1992 T/A GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Anyone one use the Hawk's 8.8 and QA1 coil over package. I am in the process of installing the new rear end and suspension.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:51 PM

Six year update on Hawk's 8.8 rear end in my 91 RS.

~13,000+ miles - I'm still happy with the rear end. Highly recommend, would buy again.

There's a good lesson in this that I learned the hard way last month.

A very nasty vibration developed with my 91 RS. The car shook so badly, I was concerned driving home and later to the shop. Vibration was between 1,500 to 2,500 rpm in every gear.

My local trusted shop evaluated and said it was the rear end. Being that this shop's bread & butter is doing rear ends for 4x4 truck's I'm positive they were the most qualified in my local area to evaluate the issue. (Remember, that.)

Specifically they said, the rear end had bad bearings, axles & pinion, gears excessive backlash and the Torsen limited slip excessive wear and would require replacement. Rear was also full of metallic debris as the oil was sparkling.

I was flabbergasted & upset.

Talked directly with Bruce who was very skeptical my 8.8 rear end had this multitude of issues. (Remember that) We had a calm rational discussion. I acknowledge after six years Bruce and Hawk's Motorsports had no liability or responsibility with my 8.8 despite only having less than 13,000 miles. As goodwill, Bruce sent an install kit for my repairs which was far more than he had to do. Bruce didn't believe the Torsen T2 was defective and insisted it was the shop doing CYA at my expense. I too was skeptical a newTorsen T2 would fail as described.

Begrudgingly, the shop agreed to clean out the original Torsen T2 with brake cleaner and set the rear end up with the Hawk's Motorsports provided install kit, provided I signed an agreement of No Warranty which I did.

The 8.8 got new bearings, set up with tigher back lash & idea pattern. When I asked the shop if this fixed the vibration...they hesitated briefly then said NO, that Torsen T2 wasn't replaced, it was loose and sloppy and likely the source of vibration.

Decided my LS swapped 91 RS needed to go to Norris MotorSports. Mike Norris took his time getting the full description of the problem asking several follow up questions. Mike also drove the car several times which I not sure if my local shop did.

Mike discovered the source of the vibration was because the PCM was randomly pulling timing 😳 on passenger side cylinders #2,#4, #6 & #8. It wasn't knock retard just randomly the timing dropped out. Soon Mike discovered all of the tables for Traction Control were zeroed out as they should be since my car doesn't have TC, except for one table. The amount of timing dropped matched the values in the table. Mike zeroed out the table and the vibration disappeared instantly.

There was nothing wrong with the Hawk's Motorsports 8.8 rear end. A PCM tuning issue that had ran under the radar for years was the cause of the vibration that had suddenly occurred. We have no idea why this happened - we only know that it happened. The RS runs great again and I want to extend a major thank you to Norris MotorSports for fixing my car.

I also want to extend a major thank you to Bruce for being willing to work with me though this issue in a calm professional manner even when it wasn't his product at fault. Bruce's sound advice saved me from needlessly replacing a perfectly good Torsen T2 LSD. I've reimbursed Bruce for the cost of the 8.8 install kit. He's always been a stand up guy so it's only fair I return that favor.

Moral of the story, it pays to get an expert like Mike Norris of Norris MotorSports and Bruce Hawkin's of Hawk's Motorsports involved of specialty issues rather than a trusted but 3rd/4th Gen inexperienced local shop involved.

Cost of my lesson ~ $1,200 for an unnecessary rear end re-install & set up. Basically, the rear end's oil needed to be changed and was over due. I believe the rest of the rear end was within acceptable specifications. New schedule for changing rear end oil will be every 10, 000 miles or 3rd oil change.

Last edited by Arctic White 91 RS; 04-12-2022 at 07:56 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Arctic White 91 RS:
3.1EyeCandy (04-18-2022), DynoDave43 (04-12-2022), ESCIROC (04-23-2022), StevenK (04-13-2022)