Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Review. Hawk's Motorsports Level 2 T56 Transmission

Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73
Review. Hawk's Motorsports Level 2 T56 Transmission

I purchsed my T56 from Hawk's Motorsports and it was built as a Stage 2/Level 2

This is my review for my Hawk's Motorsports T56 Stage 2 transmission in my 383 LS1 91 RS Camaro. My first post will cover the background behind deciding to change my automatic RS to straight drive.

I had intended use a 4L60e and drag the car when first planning the LS swap back in 2003. In short, due to a combination of circumstances the project was placed on hold until 2008 when the motor was built. The motor was built for NOS per the orginal plan since those were the parts I had available. An unexpected opportunity occured and I moved to a new company this derailed the project again until 2015. Hawk's Motorsports did the restoration and LS swap for my RS. In short, 12 years passed and I realized I didn't care anymore about dragging my old daily driver of 25 years and nearly 400,000 miles. This RS has always been a driver and since I love six speeds the logical thing to do was to ask Hawk's to build the car with a T56. This change of plans made the Spoon 4L60e x-member, transmission cooler, Yank 3200 converter & 4L60e custom built to hold 600 rwhp sitting in the garage - all surplus for the project. Some of the parts were sold.

Yes, changing cost me a chunk of change. However, if Hawk's Motorsports could deliver as promised I would have the white RS exactly as desired. That was more important than the extra cost.

Bruce and I discussed in great detail my goals for the car. The T56 had to be daily driver friendly. I will power shift anytime I'm doing something for serious as in not lift off the gas and shift using the clutch. Speed shifting by hitting the rev limiter and jamming to another gear isn't something I'm brave enough to do to my own car. Six hundred rear wheel horse power, clutch dump launches at 6000 rpm on slicks are a possibility. The engine was build for NOS or a supercharger might get added In a few years. Road course or auto-cross are possible too. My goal was/is to experience all of this with the white RS but I have no intention of constantly using the RS on the track, the car is my favorite driver after all.

Bruce really did take time to discuss in detail not just what I wanted but how drive and I plan to drive the car after restoration. The communication was outstanding and I found I fully trusted Hawk's Motorsports to convert my car to straight drive. Bruce felt a level 2 T56 build was what we needed for my RS to do what was desired and be bullet proof.

T56 Transmission Rebuild 93-2002 Camaro / Firebird Level 2

Rebuild, T56 Transmission 93-2002 Camaro / Firebird Rebuild Level 2- customer must provide transmission.

Includes the following:
-Complete Carbon Synchronizer Blocker Ring Kit
-1-2 & 3-4 Billet Keys with Springs
-1-2 & 3-4 Bronze Shift Fork Pads
-3-4 Steel Shift Fork
-5-6 & Reverse Keys
-5-6 & Reverse Shift Fork Pads
-Tailshaft Bushing
-Front Input Seal & Rear Output Seal
-Isolator Cup

I will add more details tomorrow as time allows...thank you for reading

Last edited by Arctic White 91 RS; 09-19-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73
Re: Review. Hawk's Motorsports Level 2 T56 Transmission

Bruce mentioned there is always a small chance even the best clutch and flywheel will let go when being abused so the steel bell housing for the T56 was added for safety.

Pro 5.0 shifter per Bruce is the best choice for my set up. My TA also has a Pro 5.0 shifter and I like the way the 5.0 pulls to center the 3-4 shift. Less risk for a bad 2-3 shift. I've rowed both Hurst & B&M Rippers before on T56's and both are far better than stock in my excellent overall. I like the Ripper over the Hurst. However, in racing situations I have more confidence in the Pro 5.0 shifter.

Ram HD clutch was recommended. I had reservations thinking a Monster might be better. The Ram HD was stiff and very grabby. After 2,000 miles it wore in nicely and drives very well. I'm happy with the Ram HD and will use one in the 99 TA when the time comes.

The Level 2 T56 feels notchier than stock when cold on start up. The clutch needs to be fully depressed after cold start when shifting for smooth engagement. Once the level 2 T56 is warmed up its absolutely delightful to drive and row gears!

Most stock 4th gen fbody T56 won't allow a power shift from 4th to 5th with a stock clutch. The Level 2 T56 does perfectly. Since it feels so precise 6th to 2nd can be done with confidence. The Level 2 T56 inspires driving and is a blast on a curvy road. All of the gears and reverse engage as they should. The T56 is a blast to drive!

When I screw up shifting gears with a stock T56, for example letting the clutch out to quick on a 2nd to 3rd shift and the gears make a horrible.grinding sound - often the shift is missed, almost like hitting the gate. The Level 2 makes a protesting chirp and bangs into the gear. After doing this maybe the three times by accident - I started wanting to speed shift because this T56 inspires the driver.

My only regret is not getting a level 3 so I could speed shift with less risk of breaking something.

At 5000 miles I plan to change transmission fluid and then do so once a year to help keep the transmission well maintained.

Highly recommend Hawk's Motorsports Level 2 T56 if you like shifting gears.

If you get one of these plan to upgrade the rear end as well. If I had a 10 bolt with this transmission I'm sure it would be destroyed.