Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Need an Indestructible MAF? Blowerworks review

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
Need an Indestructible MAF? Blowerworks review

When I got my Procharger, I had hoped that the 19lb injectors, FMU and booster fuel pump would be enough, after all the ‘kit’ is made for stock tpi’s. It wasn’t.

First thing I did was upgrade the 19lb to 30lb injectors as the 19’s were maxing out and I was still slightly too lean under boost (By the way a WB sensor is essential if you are thinking of running boost in my opinion). This was a perfect hit for me with nice 11.2 AFR under boost. The nagging doubt I had though was that the FMU works by essentially closing the fuel return line and increasing pressure in the line to nearly 100 psi. This is hard on the rail, hard on both the pumps and is not an exact science.

I read lots about moving to Speed Density and repining the ECM or similar tricks. Thing is I wanted to stay MAF. My original MAF didn’t last too long with the Procharger and at that point I was worrying about the supply of Bosch originals and of course the cost! I hear bad stuff about all the Wells replacements and the Chinese specials that are out there.

It was at this point I came across Blowerworks and their fantastic solution to this craziness http://www.blowerworks.net/ their L98 3” custom MAF. Having spoken to Greg there a few times, I was confident that this was the route I should take. It did mean I would need to change the injectors again though- this time to 42lb! Now, aside from them selling a beautifully crafted alloy MAF housing, the MAF unit itself is much newer technology- Thin Film RTD similar to that used in the LS1/7’s. This means no more MAF burn offs required and no fragile MAF wire making it virtually indestructible. This alone would make it worthwhile to anyone worried about their fragile 80’s tech and what happens in the future.

In regards to adding a supercharger- on a stock setup once the MAF reaches its stock limit of 255gms beyond this the ECM doesn’t acknowledge what is going on and can’t provide more fuel. This is where the FMU ‘band-aid’ is fine up to a point as it can take over the next step and guess what it requires by closing off varying amounts of fuel return. The clever folk at Blowerworks have a secret way of enabling extended fuel cells in a custom BIN. This means the MAF can always understand/ read and administer necessary fuel up to 600bhp and beyond (depending on what kit you go for).

I picked up my kit in San Francisco where Greg from Blowerworks had sent it on my request. I opened the box and was immediately impressed by its form- the MAF looks beautiful. The installation guide is on the webpage so I had ’walked’ through the install several times before this and knew what it entailed. There are several options to make things easier- each of which is brilliantly described in the manual they ship with the kit. You basically need to use a hpx connector instead of the stock Bosch one so you need to snip and solder a few wires (which is really easy) This is all supplied as well as heat shrink tubing, solder and all the needed connectors plus more. The attention to detail and clarity of the instructions are world-class. Easily the best I have ever used. Really.

The other key part is re-pinning one wire to the ECM- again you have 2 options of how you can do this- both described, pictured and all parts supplied.

The final piece is to install your new BIN. This accounts for the changes above but also adapts the BIN so it can use the extended fuel cells. The first BIN they sent me (based off a brilliant Tuned Performance 6e) was enough for a good baseline. Tuned Performance (if you don’t know him- he is a real asset on the boards here) has helped me as he always does get the car near perfect in no time with the help of the talented Blowerworks team.

So now I have a virtually new set of 30lb Bosch injectors and a lightly used Procharger FMU up for sale Shout if you want them. Oh and a nearly new Bosch MAF.

As for Blowerworks- I am so pleased to have found them and if you are looking to change MAF’s consider this as a first port of call- even if you aren’t going power adder as they are bullet-proof.

Massive thanks to Greg, Pat and Tuned Performance- my fuel pumps salute you
Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt
Re: Need an Indestructible MAF? Blowerworks review

This has been on my list for awhile now!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

We used Blowerworks on the Minirammed 383 SBC we ran before going LS. Great company to work with. Even though we were running NA, it only took 9 cycles of test drives and tune updates to dial it in perfectly via email. With their MAF and tune, the car pulled to 7000 rpm, passed emissions, and ran strong on pump gas on a 11:1 compression engine.

So, even if you aren't running a blower, the people at Blowerworks can do wonders for your MAF based car. The custom BIN extends timing and fuel control to 6400 rpm and their tuner knows what he is doing.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Would you be willing to share the bin? Or parts of it? I'm having some rough spots in mine that are persistent.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=743124
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry I'm not sharing the BIN unless Greg himself asks me to send it on. hAve you spoken to the guys there?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Did you get the bin from greg or patrick?

I haven't spoken to greg in years.

My crap seems to need a whole lot more than a few tweaks.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

All through Greg. They have been very helpful with everything on mine. Hope you get it sorted out!