Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Intellitronix Digital Speedometer and GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:04 PM
GXP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Crate
Transmission: 700R4 with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 2.73
Intellitronix Digital Speedometer and GPS

This review is for an Intellitronix Digital Speedometer, M9222, and the GPS sender, S9020.

In another thread, I tried getting a replacement odometer gear for my 91 TA. After that didn't work out, I just decided to scrap it and get a whole new speedometer while it was out of the car. I went to Summit and got this combo.

I got the red digital speedometer as well as the GPS sending unit for around $225. Since I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time and getting a new rear end, wheels, transmission work, etc., I didn't want to deal with gear ratios and other factors, so I went with this setup instead. The speedometer itself is 3 3/8 inch diameter, just too small for being a perfect fit in a factory firebird bezel. It has two studs for a metal bracket that comes with it, but I didn't use it.

This was honestly my first time wiring on my own, and it was very easy and a great learning experience for me. I soldered together the red power wires for both devices with some spare wire I had laying around, and routed it to the fuse box where the 10A gauges fuse is located. They recommend grounding it to the engine block, but I grounded it on a bracket that was being used to other grounds just under some interior trim where the gauge bezel goes. The gray wire is only used if you wish to wire it to a push button for memory recall. I just covered it with electrical tape and tucked it away.

The purple wire isn't a necessity either, but it dims the speedometer light by 50% when the lights are turned on. All I did was unplug the headlight controls, stick the end of the purple wire in the socket where the gray wire goes, and reconnect it. Works perfectly.

The GPS antenna has plenty of length so it can be placed almost anywhere. It is also magnetic. I will most likely keep it on the little ledge next to the steering column using some double sided tape. I used a ziptie going through the radio bezel out of the side vent to hold the micro controller in place, so the lights can easily be seen and the DIP switches can be flipped if needed. Not the cleanest look, but still inconspicuous and no extra wire needed. Don't mind the tape.

I wrapped the circumference of the speedometer 2-3 times in electrical tape, and wrapped the bezel another 1-2 times, and it seems to fit securely. I placed foam behind the speedometer so it wouldn't fall back either.

When first powered on, it can take up to 15 minutes for the GPS to make contact with the satellite. Once it is fully functional, the red, orange, and green light will be on in the microprocessor. I set up the DIP switches so 1 is on and 2 is off, which is a 8000 pulse signal.

The speedometer itself has a red digital bar, and large numbers to display mph. It also has odometer, tripometer, 0-60 time, 1/4 time, and signal calculation. You can program in your correct mileage up to 5 places which is really nice, considering my odometer was one of the reasons i made this purchase.

After about 1 mile of driving, the speedometer was definitely getting an accurate signal. But it was delayed by as much as 10-20 seconds. I tried changing the DIP switches around which made it worse, so I changed them back to default. While the manual says calibrating is not needed for the GPS sender, I decided to try it anyway.

You hold in the button on the speedometer until it flips through the menus. When "Cal" comes on, tap the button again, and drive until you go about 1 mile. Then tap it again. It calculates the pulses received in this 1 mile (it is 8000 by default, which should match with the GPS sender). However, I was around 8150-8200 pulses, which helped it noticeably. You will be able to see the number of pulses received.

It is definitely accurate but still delayed between 1-5 seconds. It's definitely not pin-point for spirited driving due to the delay, but it's good enough and looks good too. Also, since my setup is dependent upon a good signal, it probably won't work in certain areas, in tunnels, etc.

I'm not dissatisfied with it, but at the same time I feel like it could be a lot better, especially for the price. The speedometer itself is nice, but the GPS is probably what I am disappointed with. If anyone has an in-depth review of just the speedometer with the stock sender, I'd love to see how it works.

Last edited by GXP; 06-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 PM
GXP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 350 Crate
Transmission: 700R4 with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 2.73
Re: Intellitronix Digital Speedometer and GPS

An update:

I drove about 2 hours today with the new speedometer. Its accuracy and delay were much better (1-2 seconds) after calibrating the pulse signal to around 8200 per mile. However, the speedometer kept resetting itself every few seconds while driving. I eventually reset it using the button and it lost all data such as odometer reading and pulse calc. So I recalibrated the pulses and it's working fine again. I will post any other issues if I find them.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks cool, do the make a digital replacement for your other gauges?
Would look really nice if they all matched.

I wish/hope that someday someone will come out with an LCD type digital dash. Something that will allow the customer to customize the display some.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

It's too bad that no one has come out with an analog set like the ones available for the camaros.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: G92 (3.42)

I changed my whole cluster in my 91 to an intellitrobix and due to my speedometer signal catching fire previously I disconnected that and went with the gps sending unit. I’m very happy with it and I had it setup with the 8000 pulse signal but I didn’t find it necessary to try the setup button and I had no problems with delay. I’m very happy with it but I have heard of the delay you spoke about. I wonder why some people have delay and some isn’t so bad? Overall I was happy with mine though!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 ls1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I had the intellitronix gauge set and gps in my firebird, lasted a whole 22 miles before some leds burnt out and others were noticeably dimmer, and that was my 4th set of boards they all came new with leds burnt out someplace on the board, I also had the same couple second lag on the speedometer you have, I couldn't stand punching it to pass and not knowing how fast I was going til I let off the gas, I sent the whole package back for a refund and found some good working stock gauges. Found out they use cheap chinese led's and pretty sure all other components are as well would not recommend. In summit magazine there is a dakota digital gps sender that looks legit, it even says in the ad faster response time I would recommend shelling out a few more bucks for a quality part imo.