Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Car cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car cover

If you use one, what do you have and from where? I see many on ebay.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1
Re: Car cover

I recently asked this question on a FB forum. There are a lot of answers and a lot of covers out there. Budget/Quality? Indoor or Outdoor? A basic cover could be around a $100. A full blown multi-layer with custom striping, locking kit, bag, etc. could be $500+.

I am leaning toward the Covercraft
CUSTOM FLEECED SATIN CAR COVER
Part #: FSB31F5
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...-cover.FS-CCFS

But have not yet purchased.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

I have CoverCraft semi-custom fit. At the time, there was only one cover more expensive than I bought, and it was the same material, only it was "custom-fit" because it had what I'll call mirror pockets. I bought this cover about 5 or 6 years ago. In year 4 the fabric became thin and weak from UV exposure, tearing like a tattered flag. It had a 5 year warranty. Here's where you could take this as a good review (they replaced it) or a bad review (it took arguing with them to get their coverage). When I contacted them about the issue they said that was normal wear and would not be covered. After several emails back and forth they covered the issue and provided a replacement. However, they acted very arrogant about it, as if they were doing me a one-time favor to warranty their product, which they advertised as being the highest in UV protection. (IMO if it's the highest UV protection and guaranteed for 5 years it should not be "normal" to fall apart in 4 years.) When the replacement arrived, they sent the wrong cover. They failed to understand that a Camaro and an IROC have slightly different lengths due to ground effects. So they sent another and had me send the wrong one back..I've since begun parking the car in the garage so this outdoor cover serves as no more than an indoor dust shield now. The cover is nice and fits well for a semi-custom, it was just the company's poor service that left a bad feeling towards them.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I've had 2 California Car Covers. First was an outdoor. It did it's job. Second was an indoor...and considering it's parked indoors...it too does the job. I've had this second one for about 9 years and it's held up fine No rips or tears. All good
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

I have ordered the one noted in my previous post. I will share an initial review when I get it and a chance to put it on the car.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4

For others watching this, I just bought a Budge cover for my old Camaro, second or third one of these. They last pretty well indoors. Parked the car for a couple years in a rented garage with windows in the doors, sunlight turned the cover into shreds, just touch it and it's gone. But for indoor use, out of the sun light it's a good cover for the money. Comes vacuum packed, real chore for the first use. Elastic bottom with grommets for tie down.