UMI 2119 Front Sway Bar Relocation Brackets and 0048 Billet Aluminum Front Sway Bar m - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

UMI 2119 Front Sway Bar Relocation Brackets and 0048 Billet Aluminum Front Sway Bar m

Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #1  

UMI 2119 Front Sway Bar Relocation Brackets and 0048 Billet Aluminum Front Sway Bar m

The vehicle being updated is a 1992 Camaro with a 36mm 1LE swaybar, TopDownSolutions Wonderbar (6 bolt design), double adjustable front struts, UMI weight jacks, and UMI tubular K member and arms.

I was intrigued by these when they were released as they appeared to fill a niche that needed filled on the car, stronger sway bar mounts. We broke a factory sway bar mount in March and the car gained the sudden and unexpected ability to lift the right front wheel in corners on track. While this might look cool to spectators, it isnít something we wanted the car to be able to do. But the offset bolt design of a thirdgen sway bar mount meant we had to replace the mount with another stock mount. With the release of the 2119 relocation brackets, I could now use the billet sway bar mounts as a stronger replacement to the factory stamped design.

First impressions: The relocation brackets are beefy. About 3/8 inch thick and nicely powdercoated. I ran a thread chase through the holes even though the threads appeared to be free of powdercoat material. If you have a tap set, this is always a good idea on painted or powdercoated parts and I tend to do it on all new parts. The billet sway bar mounts are works of aluminum art and it is a shame they arenít out where more people can see them. These look like they will take the kind of beating we like to put on the car and just shrug it off. After breaking a factory mount in March, Iím looking forward to seeing these in action.

The install went cleanly. I cheated on the instructions a little and installed the sway bar mount studs prior to getting under the car with the brackets and bolting them to the frame. It just looked easier to do while standing up instead of while laying under the car. After loosening the sway bar end links so the bar could move freely, I removed the factory sway bar brackets and let the bar hang. Once the final bolt was removed that holds the TDS Wonderbar in place, the relocation bracket went in on the driverís side with 0 issues. Everything lined up and all of the new hardware went in with no issues. The provided spacer was not needed as the wonderbar occupies the entire area under the new bracket.

Beater79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #2  

Re: UMI 2119 Front Sway Bar Relocation Brackets and 0048 Billet Aluminum Front Sway B

The passenger side required me to dig through my supplies of leftover washers to find a pair that matched the thickness of the TDS bar and fit over the mounting bolt for the new bracket. This was required as the wonderbar mounting area only covers 3 of the 4 bolt holes and leaves a gap where the 4th one goes. In order to have the bolts all tighten down without a gap, I used washers to fill the gap on 1 bolt on the passenger side so all 4 bolts tighten evenly. Once those were in place, the sway bar mounts slipped snugly over the 36mm bushings for the factory 1LE sway bar and both sides were lined up before the final tightening of the mounts.

The final steps were to grease the bushings and tighten the end links before lowering the car back down.

I was somewhat concerned about using a different bushing than the provided 35mm piece but the 36mm ones fit snugly in the bracket and donít exhibit any signs of inappropriate fitment or not being properly seated in the mount.

As expected the product was well made and installed cleanly with only minor changes from the instructions to make them work with the pieces already on the car. The next step is to get the car on the road and see how it handles.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #3  
TGO Supporter

Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Re: UMI 2119 Front Sway Bar Relocation Brackets and 0048 Billet Aluminum Front Sway B

Nice Pics and Write up
luvofjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #4  
Sponsor

Thanks for the review! Looks great
UMI Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #5  
Supreme Member

Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

Interested to see how they look after you have beat on them for a bit, plus any impressions on how they are working out.
dennisbernal91z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #6  
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: waiting to break

Bump for an update. I need new sway bar bushings and am kicking around the idea of buying these parts.
Tibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #7  

So far these have worked great. Very solid pieces that are not showing any wear after 3 months.