Aftermarket Product Review Provide questions and answers about aftermarket parts for the Third Generation F-Body.

Windshield Washer Bottle from Hawks

Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1
Windshield Washer Bottle from Hawks

See also my review of the coolant overflow bottle.

Summary:
I installed this on my 35k mile 1987 IROC which to my knowledge is very original and accident free. This washer bottle is a decent approximation of the original part that would look fine to the casual observer and overall adds a nice clean appearance to the engine bay. This part may not be ideal for a concours high level restoration and would be noted by experts as incorrect vs OEM parts upon close inspection. The cap would immediately be noted as incorrect to an expert.

I ordered the Hawks replacement bottle w/cap p/n:HT10078368. Here are my observations.

Comparing the bottles side by side the new one is very close in design to the OE part. The mounting provisions are slightly different. The lower mounting tab was at a slightly different angle to the bottle than that of the OE part. This added a small challenge to install as the fasteners are the plastic inserts that splay apart when the plastic screw is threaded into the insert. This meant the insert needed to pressed enough to bend the tab inward toward the inner fender for the insert to seat properly and allow the screw through. This bend also put the holes slightly misaligned. This was mitigated a bit by installing this lower side first and the upper mount second. A small round file to slightly elongate the holes also helped with the install.

On the rear of the bottle - the side that mounts on the inner fender had in a couple of spots a very small raised point that I expect was an artifact of the molding process, such as in injection point or flashing. I only mention this as a tiny raised point could wear through the inner fender paint over time. Easily removed with a file.

The lettering on the new bottle was close but not an exact match in data or the font used. Apologies for the lack of definition in the pictures, this was hard to photograph well.

I measured the bottle shell thickness near the opening with a micrometer. The differences were negligible.

The caps were very different. The Hawks part had no lettering at all, the hose port was at 90° and fit loosely whereas the OE part fit snugly on both bottles. The breather holes was larger on the Hawks part vs. OE and the OE part did not have an improved hose port diameter where it meets the cap. The new cap does not come with suction hose or strainer so I reused to original parts. Apologies for the glare in the second picture.

.My old cap wasn't terrible so I elected to carefully apply some paint. It's not perfect due to my lack of steady hands and impatience. I used a foam brush seen in the first pic to apply light brushed coats (3 or 4 coats) only to the top faces of the letters. I applied very fine amounts of paint in steps to avoid the paint running or pooling within the letters.

Finished install:

I know this is not a major component of concern for many but for the few who are interested in small details I hope this was of interest.
Cheers.

Last edited by Bow_Tied; 07-22-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Add link to coolant bottle review
The following users liked this post:
Chopski (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L
Re: Windshield Washer Bottle from Hawkes

Great write up BT- this is not a “small issue” whatsoever when it comes to improving the look of the engine bay!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

Yes, thanks for the write up and pics! It's nice when you spend $$$ on your thirdgen that you know what you are getting... Been disappointed with too many parts from vendors...
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

Thanks for the feedback. This bottle was over all decent and I intend to leave it installed.

I believe the cap that came with it is the same as Doorman 47107
Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Nice write up!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts