Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

B&M Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt
B&M Transmissions

I ordered the B&M governor recalibration kit from Summit for my 700R4 transmission. When I got the kit it was missing the two "axles". Called B&M about the missing parts and they sent them right out no problem. They also included 4 more "C" clips for the axles. The kit comes with 8 which is double the amount you would need. The "C" clips are small and I guess they figure you will loose some in the process. Anyways many thanks to B&M for making things right. Now to get my 700R4 to shift in the 5800 to 6000rpm range. Allen
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: B&M Transmissions

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
I ordered the B&M governor recalibration kit from Summit for my 700R4 transmission. When I got the kit it was missing the two "axles". Called B&M about the missing parts and they sent them right out no problem. They also included 4 more "C" clips for the axles. The kit comes with 8 which is double the amount you would need. The "C" clips are small and I guess they figure you will loose some in the process. Anyways many thanks to B&M for making things right. Now to get my 700R4 to shift in the 5800 to 6000rpm range. Allen

Below is my experience with B&M,
Don`t Buy, No customer support, trans sold with no speedo drive gear, Company says " it happens ". Cost me 30.00 for drive gear and 150.00 extra mechanic fees!!. Company will not pay for labor to repair or pay for gear they left out of rebuild! I was told to "have a nice day". This transmission would not support a speedometer in ANY car. There was nothing to turn the speedo. I understand SOME companies not supplying the driven gear as those are always different. Now I have to open up and internally service a brand new transmission. Oh don’t forget this voids the warranty Like I said DO NOT BUY FROM B&M TRANSMISSION
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

Originally Posted by hillpin
Don`t Buy, No customer support, trans sold with no speedo drive gear, Company says " it happens ". Cost me 30.00 for drive gear and 150.00 extra mechanic fees!!. Company will not pay for labor to repair or pay for gear they left out of rebuild! I was told to "have a nice day". This transmission would not support a speedometer in ANY car. There was nothing to turn the speedo. I understand SOME companies not supplying the driven gear as those are always different. Now I have to open up and internally service a brand new transmission. Oh don’t forget this voids the warranty Like I said DO NOT BUY FROM B&M TRANSMISSION
Sorry you got a pisspore sales person at B&M.I'm sorry you got ripped off by your mechanic.
did he even buy a drink first?..
As everybody knows a speedo gear is $15.an is 15 minutes to install.in the tail shaft for the transmission.
but things like this happen when we don't know much about our cars or how the mechanics of the cars work then we have to pay people to do the work for us. Knowledge is power. And calling back to B&N and asking if the transmissions are sold with the particular speedo gear you need at the time of purchase. there are so many different gear ratios. It would be impossible to send a transmission out without the right one. So if you ordered the transmission with the correct speedo gear. They would have probably installed it. Without specifying a gear ratio. They probably just didn't install it. Or they sell them without...the talking with a manager or a better..Sales Rep. Would have probably got you the right tail shaft gear.

I myself have spent a lot of money with the B $ M.and they have always come through for me. they even warranted. a torque converter for me free of charge after 6 years a beating on it. They called summit and had it drop ship from Summit. Paying for it.has they did not have this one in stock.my rear end blew up in the top of 3rd gear at the drag strip. And the carnage also took out the torque converter. The 9 inch converter. How many companies after 6 years would give you a free 600 dollar converter..

it's all about who you talk to. But the biggest thing is knowing your car parts that will always save you money in the long run..

So remember....take the old Speedo gears out of you last transmission.and install them in the new transmission. And if you don't have that then you're stuck kissing your mechanic.
and welcome to the site...

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 04-10-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 AM

Car: genesis, equus, f250, camaro, other
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: t5

You wasted your first post here in your 2 year time to bring up a 10 year old thread?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the note, but in was not the 15 minute driven gear, it was the drive gear on the shaft, which you have to remove the tailshaft. it was at my guys shop for the install of the trans, my lift is down, so I just left it there. He had troble finding the gear locally, so I got one on ebay for 25.00 and 8.oo shipping and wait for a few days for delivery and after all this bull****. They still tell be to in not so many words take a hike.I called B&M and just asked for the gear and again told we dont have them. Very strange.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the note, but in was not the 15 minute driven gear, it was the drive gear on the shaft, which you have to remove the tailshaft. it was at my guys shop for the install of the trans, my lift is down, so I just left it there. He had troble finding the gear locally, so I got one on ebay for 25.00 and 8.oo shipping and wait for a few days for delivery and after all this bull****. They still tell be to in not so many words take a hike.I called B&M and just asked for the gear and again told we dont have them. Very strange.

This is what I had to get from TCI website

#68-2. Metal drive gears, 14 tooth $49.00and 15 Tooth Cost $32.00
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

It is a 15/20 min install. Yes ya remove the tail shaft housing.. and he charged ya $150 to do it.....sorry ya had a bad time......ya know how many diff rear end gears cars have... how would they know what one to install for you...if you did not ask for the right one... did it come with a torque converter?or clutch.? Just saying . If you would have asked these questions when ordering you would have found out what it comes with &what it does not come with...just sayin... And get a new mechanic that guys a thief.!

edit to add:
when ordering a transmission from B&M.no they do not include the speedo gear. Too many variables per B&M.
on a side note. It would be nice. If you could order the right speedo gear at the time purchase.

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 04-15-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 BB 1995 Z28 Camaro's
Engine: 454-350
Transmission: TH350-4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373 posi-Stock

Digging up bones.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Edwardgp
Digging up bones.

its always fun to add to your post count....