Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Liberty Fiberglass = teh suck

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Liberty Fiberglass = teh suck

Originally Posted by 87WS6
That doesn't make any sense. Why would they say that?
They said it was due to the truck freight companies.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Cervini also makes a high quality hood fyi. I've had two both fit excellent. Sucks this guy is getting $$$ off of scamming so many people, all the feedback on ebay that is positive is for coins, all teh negative are for the hoods. I bet he has a deal going with the coins too just to get positive feedback... Hopefully many people read this before they make purchases in the future
Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Another fyi, these guys spam my local craigslist under the name champion fiberglass

http://cnj.craigslist.org/pts/1735347293.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/1741407392.html

http://scranton.craigslist.org/pts/1738639497.html
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM

Car: 90 camaro rs ttops
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 323

i wish i would have seen this before. i bought my hood from them about a week ago. i thought i was getting a good deal on a hood but really i got a P.O.S. the fitment is horrible has pieces missing on the sides. i finally got the hood fitted enough to were it sits similar to each side but i need to fix those missing peices. any advise???
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Post some pix of the broken pieces. If you got a half decent one from them, you might be able to salvage it. Definitely let it cure up for a couple of weekes in the sun to see what it acts like. The blisters that popped up all over my hood were very easy to spot right away and you need to take a pick and poke the thing lightly ALL OVER to guarantee there arent any hiddden air voids in the gelcoat.
Also inspect all the nut inserts to make sure its not gonna fly off at high speed and trash the rest of your car!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 PM

i will tomorrow and i added hood pins on it today and the nut inserts seem to be fine. just a couple chips in it. i would hope from the shipping. and what do you mean by poking it and with what?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by tworley27
i will tomorrow and i added hood pins on it today and the nut inserts seem to be fine. just a couple chips in it. i would hope from the shipping. and what do you mean by poking it and with what?
Look at the hood surface really close and make sure there arent any bubbles just under the gelcoat surface. It happens when they dont lay the glass mat right. That was a huge problem on my hood from liberty among other things. If it has air voids in the gelcoat it will ruin a perfectly good paint job. Look at the pics posted at the beginning of this thread and you will see what im talking about. If it has them, taking a pick or scratch awl and "popping" the blisters will allow you to take care of the problem now by filling them im with duraglass or a little fiberglass resin.

Most definitely do not paint it right away till it has cured in the hot sun. Lots of freaky things happen to fiberglass till it cures and becomes stable. With a little patience and some bodywork, you can still get a good hood out of the deal. Post pix of the missing areas and ill tell you to what extent you need to go to fix it. If its tiny, a little resin might do the trick. A bigger chunk will need to have some glass mat mixed into the repair area.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM

ok ill take some pics before i go into work. and the gel coat seems to be fine with no air bubbles. but like i said ive only had for about a week now. and i mknow the sides need to be sanded down to get a smooth surface. any recomendations on what to use?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Hows it going Marty?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by vwdave
Hows it going Marty?
Good! Do you still post over on the turboforums?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 mild build up
Axle/Gears: Stock

HOOD4SALE is still on ebay. so beware if you just have to get a fiberglass hood.

After reading all the problems people seem to have with glass hoods, is why I want a steel cowl hood. seems the hassles will be some what less.

Last edited by kd5icr; 11-09-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1

I did a little detective work on this 'company'. The link below goes into depth if you like. Liberty Fiberglass = hood4sale = Cincinnati Composites = Cobra Auto Design = Champion Fiberglass... Its the same people, the same ABSOLUTE junk.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...30-post10.html
Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Good post with good info. I posted a while back how i got screwed by them on a 4th gen hood. Just to **** the guy off i email him every bad thing i post about him. I think its about time i fire off another one with the link to this thread.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

dont forget VFN guys, they also make very good fiberglass and CF parts.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dante93GTZ
I did a little detective work on this 'company'. The link below goes into depth if you like. Liberty Fiberglass = hood4sale = Cincinnati Composites = Cobra Auto Design = Champion Fiberglass... Its the same people, the same ABSOLUTE junk.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/post...30-post10.html
More research on them.... the BBB has a record of "Champion Fiberglass", located in Cincy... A score of "D-" doesn't sound great...

http://www.bbb.org/cincinnati/busine...ti-oh-3006364/
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by dodgert70@wowwa
i bought a hood from liberty fiberglass in cinn oh, i went there to pick the hood up as i live in columbus ohio not that far and would save alot on having it shipped, when i got to there location i was scared, they work out of a old abandoned warehouse, there was water where the rood leaked all over the floor there were signs pointing to the front doors looked like someone used a spray can to make them, i was waiting to get jumped by freddie krugar, very erie place, si i was following the painted directions painted with again spray cans, i get up a narrow set of stairs very dark, i come to a room where they must put there screwed up hoods there must have been 200 hoods in molds some where the hoods just fell apart, anyone who has been there will tell you that i am not stretching the truth when you get there you have to turn by an old guard station with the glass all busted out of it, well anyway back to the story the guy who runs the company only has one employee that i saw, he is a young guy late 20's early 30's, there is a big room upstaires and there are tables filled with molds and hoods, i was talking to him about my hood, i ask if he took credit card he said his credit card machine was down and he would have to have cash, any way i had to leave and find somewhere to get cash that was another scary thought this place isn't in the nicest location to start with, anyway i got back there went in paid for the hood and off i went back toward home, i got the hood home got it on the car or thought i had it on the car, as you said there was problems right off the bat the nutcerts in the hood where only 10mm, not very strong for a hood attachment, i went to lowes and bought some grade 8 10mm bolts to replace the junk provided to bolt the hood on with, i got the hood on and guess what it would not sit flat on the car, it hit the fenders the center was 1 inch away from the nose and the corners where all the way butted up to it, by the way this hood is for a 88 monte carlo ss, this hood was going to be a project for sure, after hours of measuring the hood and sanding edges to get it to fit guess what the cheap nutcert in the hood stripped out, they just spin, now i have no way to get it off the car unless i grid the heads off the bolts or unbolt the hindged, liberty fiberglass is on ebay under hoods4sale, steer clear of these clowns, it says on liberty fiberglass web site been in bussiness for 30 plus years yeah right he would have been in diapers.that was my dealings with liberty fiberglass.
Was this the address?

7706 Anthony Wayne Avenue, cincinnati, oh

I've never seen them actually show their location, however when using the BBS.org to look up their companies, it actually listed their address, and if you use maps.bing.com to look it up, it looks like an old warehouse...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 PM

Car: red 89 t-top ta
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: t-5
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt soon

hello my buddie went down to their shop and bought a 4th gen ramair hood, he said when he went into shop that there were hoods everywhere, in the end the hood was junk, bubbles, nut serts, and fitment issues
Old 02-28-2011, 12:00 AM

Car: Firebird Formula(1988 changed to 91
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73(needs changed)

I have been reading the posts here and other sites about Liberty Fiberglass/ Hoods4sale. I have been looking at and following his sales on Ebay for the past 4 days. I am planning on making my own fiberglass good this spring and see how it works out.

I have worked with fiberglass (molds and plugs) and making parts in my past manufacturing job building Air Strippers and blowers for Water purification. So I am familar with using resins, cloth, mats, gelcoats and installing brackets and bolt/nut inserts into fiberglass fixtures.

I have seen all the complaints about this guy and i wondered why the hoods were so cheap compared to other companies. I guess you pay for what you get.

I consider myself very skilled when it comes to building and fabricating parts(welding steel and aluminum parts was something else i did at that job) so I feel optimistic on making my first hood. The first one i will try is copy of the 87-92 Formula "Power-Bulge" hood thats on my Formula. I have an extra to use as the starter plug for my mold. The lesson i have learned(and seen about the Liberty hoods) is that i will use plates with the proper nuts welded to them for the hinge and front brackets. A larger plate is easier to secure and bond to the fiberglass compared to a single nut insert that can break loose and spin on you( i've had that happen on cars where body panels fit to the chassis before).

When i get started on this project I will post my progress on this site. If it turns out good, then maybe i will make a few others and see how it goes from there.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by trbo355
Good! Do you still post over on the turboforums?
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I donno, Ive been lurking more often. I dont really goto the general forum anymore because I kinda feel like its more of a Rush Limbaugh forum. I dont like Left/Right Extremists one way or the other, so I kinda got disgusted and havent been around as much.