Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA, 90 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI, fed growth hormones
Transmission: 700r4 4u2?
Axle/Gears: 9bolt
Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!

Had a distributor module go bad after 23 years. Dyno Don says something about washing a car seems to kill them?? Bought a new "Lifetime Warranty" module at Autozone for $56. Put it in, and the car ran well for 3 weeks, then started to backfire and stall, then died and would not start. Long story short, it was the new ignition module!!

On my return to Autozone, I was given another one. Installed it and the car ran fine...for another 3 weeks, then started shuddering, stalling/restarting multiple times on the freeway, and finally died while I was trying to get home. Very similar symptoms to the last one, and no I didn't wash the car! After getting towed home and buying one elsewhere (the car runs fine again!), I took the dead one back to Autozone, and they would not give me my money back, because it is a USED PART!?! How would I know it is bad if I didn't install it you genius?

So when I asked the manager if they would pull the same crap with a water pump if they kept going bad, she said yes, no money back. Really? So your store policy is to stick people with junk parts? To which she responds "I doubt it is the part sir". Blame the customer for your garbage parts and lack of integrity? My response "how long have you been a mechanic?, I've been one for 25 years!" She offered a gift card for the price of the part, so they still have my money, and I'm not happy about it.

FYI, the last parts I bought from them for this car were rear hatch lift struts, which failed after about a year, letting the hatch slam and breaking my pull-down motor housing. Their response: If you ordered it, it is warrantied, if you bought it on self service (I did), there is no warranty, tough beans, spend another $75 bucks on another pair.

So when looking for parts for your vehicles, remember Autozone sells garbage and will not stand behind it, "lifetime warranty" or not.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!

They do this mostly to prevent people from buying and returning parts (especially electronics) to diagnose a problem. A well thought out conversation with customer service may have more weight. Probably won't get cash back, but possibly store credit. Lets face it, it's not like you won't use it sooner or later.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

It's autozone,good only for wiper blades and air fresheners,I wouldn't buy hard parts from them unless it was an emergency.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar

what was the brand name of the module?im tryng to learn which brands to not buy.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

I don't mess with Autozone or Oreilly's around here anymore outside of fluids, sprays, hoses, air fresheners, car cleaning equipment, and occasionally windshield wipers.

Anything else I go to RockAuto for. Hands down the best prices AND service.... Period.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Sorry guys but I gotta step in here as I work for the company. I will say that in my store at least, returns are a no issue and we give money back asking as we can find it under warantee. We can even force it through then sometimes. But something to also remember is the additude you bring to the counter also drasticly determines what you get out of us. If you go in ranting and raving like you are on here, I wouldn't give you money back either. I'd do the exact same thing. But if you came in calm and not being an *** to me at least and insulting me or my other employees, you would get your money back in under 3 minutes. Like I said. It all depends on what you take to the counter. Some of us know what were doing and aren't just parts monkeys and have been in the same situation.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

AutoZone less than a mile from my house, they said they don't care what condition any part is brought back in, they will give money back if it is requested. Soooooo yeah, they have my business.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
Sorry guys but I gotta step in here as I work for the company. I will say that in my store at least, returns are a no issue and we give money back asking as we can find it under warantee. We can even force it through then sometimes. But something to also remember is the additude you bring to the counter also drasticly determines what you get out of us. If you go in ranting and raving like you are on here, I wouldn't give you money back either. I'd do the exact same thing. But if you came in calm and not being an *** to me at least and insulting me or my other employees, you would get your money back in under 3 minutes. Like I said. It all depends on what you take to the counter. Some of us know what were doing and aren't just parts monkeys and have been in the same situation.
Same... I was a store manager at one location for a few years, then left for a while, then came back in a different location as a part time sales manager. Im sure you were polite and calm while all this was going on, and Im assuming you just sound frustrated now because they werent willing to budge? If thats the case, then if there is another autozone near you, Ide try another store. Ive come across some managers that are hard aces and go by the book for some parts. But usually, like evilemo said, they're willing to work with you. Especially if you had to buy the part from another store and that one is fine.

Ill admit some of the parts from there are sub-par quality. But dont forget...most of the value brands are pretty much the same thing. Just a different box. For ignition, computer, or sensors, I almost always go with GM. ESPECIALLY for engine control stuff. You just cant beat it. Sometimes you can get ACDelco from Rock Auto, other times I use Scoggy Dicken or GMpartsdirect.

That doesnt mean everything in the store is junk, and that all employees dont know their stuff. While Im sorry to admit that a good chunk of them dont haha. I built my car with LOTS of autozone parts. Then again I know what to buy and what not.

When I worked there, I enjoyed it. I loved helping people, no matter how frustrating they were. Because at the end of the day, when that person came back and saw me, they would wait for me or request me. It was my way of being a "mechanic" without being a mechanic. Changing headlights for older ladies and talking classics with the older guys was the most fun haha. I even did a few bigger jobs that probably would have gotten me fired, because I knew I could knock them out in a "smoke break" length of time. Like starter swaps or alternator swaps. All depends on the store.

J.

P.S... I would have given you your money back for something like you went through. Or at the very least a store credit. Without question really. And I would have tested the module. IF it was bad, I would have wrapped a typed note about the frequency of returns around the part and sent it back to the DC. But thats just how I ran my store.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Here is something I just encountered with Advance Auto ;

Their "lifetime" warranty is actually a "LIMITED lifetime" warranty , at least on radiators , and here's how I found out . In October , my radiator started leaking and so off to my local parts place I go . Bought the new radiator and installed it no problem . It was just about the end of November when the new one started leaking from the seam where they clamp the plastic tank to the aluminum core . When I brought it back after only one month of service , the counter person had the manager come out and do the transaction . He told me that if he had put it through as a "regular" warranty exchange , it would have been the end of my "limited lifetime" warranty and instead put it through as a cash return on the leaky one and a new , different sale for the new one . He said he did this for me because I AM the happy , friendly customer who has been going there since the store opened and everyone there knows me and loves my car . He flat out told me that he only does stuff like that for regular customers who aren't mean , and I completely understood his feelings on this having see other , rude customers come in with the attitude that it was the counter person's fault that their new part crapped out . In life , be it autoparts or job promotions , ya really DO get more with a smile than a frown and this is proven time and again .
Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Car: 1988 Firbird formula 350
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Nine Bolt

I buy some of my hard parts from Autozone, never had any problems with warranty returns. But like some others have said, I try to find AC Delco parts when possible, especially the electronic modules and sender units. I've also had pretty good luck with BWD parts if you buy the "premium" grade components, Orielly's and Advanced Auto parts have them and they also have some AC Delco parts for 3rd gens. If you go to the part store's website, you'll often find 2 or three different "grades" of the same part with different warranties. I avoid buying the cheapest parts at any parts store because they are all basically same Chines junk in different boxes. That's not to say that the more expensive "premium" parts aren't all made by a few Chinese companies (even AC Delco now a days), but they seem to hold up better.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Depending on how you approach the service guy at the counter you may or may not get the "right" attention or answer that your looking for. Be treated like the way you want to be treated. However, I do understand the frustration and having to replace a component over and over again, that can anger a few. I had that happen to me as well, also I had to blame customer service for the lack of attention. I'm the type of person who always sought for quality parts over quantity. Hence it's why I never go to autozone, oreily's etc, unless i have to. I usually get my parts from a few "mom & pop's" type parts stores, they usually can get what i want and when i want it. They clearly want your business and doing so, they'll hear you up. So if you can find those kinda stores, which are hard to come by nowadays, i sugguest going with them.
I also agreed about ACDelco parts, I'm starting to find them being made overseas more and more, but i still believe the quality is way better then some brand name like standard, or pro part.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

I have never had an issue returning parts or with their warranty.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Me either

IGN modules and alts seem to be worthless from there, I order those from rock auto. Never had an issue replacing either under warranty, even a little out of warranty
Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have friends that work at Autozone that won't buy anything there that is the Autozone Duralast brand. Too much of that stuff fails. Anything branded is usually safe though. Same for all the other chains unless I know who the manufacturer is for their house brand.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

I will agree that some of the staff are complete a**holes. I took in a Duralast battery under warranty that kept losing its charge. I told the female manager that it was a bad battery and she began to argue with me that I had to leave it there so they can test it to make sure. Her smug look took on a pissed off look when she had to give me another battery and admitted that I was right.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Originally Posted by MY87LT
I will agree that some of the staff are complete a**holes. I took in a Duralast battery under warranty that kept losing its charge. I told the female manager that it was a bad battery and she began to argue with me that I had to leave it there so they can test it to make sure. Her smug look took on a pissed off look when she had to give me another battery and admitted that I was right.
now I'll agree to this, some of the staff aren't friendly. But normally something has put them in a bad mood or its just a bad day. Iv had it happen myself. But then when you get a happy customer or at least one who's not being in a bad mood helps this. At my store, I'm called the jokster by customers and upper management. Because 9 times out of 10, even if j get an upset customer. I can turn it around and they are laughing and joking around by the time they leave.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:28 PM
TA
Supreme Member

I am a very calm and low key type of person, but by the time I got back to the house, I was pretty pissed, both because of the massive hassle caused by the bad parts, and also because she wouldn't budge and then tried to make it sound like it was my fault and I was clueless, I feel that her company failed to earn my money, and I wanted to take my business elsewhere. Others indicated they have gotten money back from AutoZone, so I expect shes more concerned with impressing her superiors than in taking care of a customer. She gave me the same BS about "never having had any others come back" and how the part was not the problem, boy that really sent me off. It was only about 5 minutes after that that I was home venting to you guys.

It is an Autozone store brand part, "Duralast", and as also mentioned in other responses, people that work there agree they are to be avoided, so I accept blame for not doing my homework before buying, but I was already late and had people calling because they were waiting for me to arrive elsewhere. It was the more expensive of the two options they had, and had a lifetime warranty, so I thought I was stepping to at least moderate quality. I can only imagine the heady quality of the cheaper option. All website ranting aside, it seems obvious that the company knows the parts are crap, so why do they still sell them? Because they make money, and all the towing charges are your problem.

So, does anyone know the difference between:

GM 10482831 Distributor Module
and
AC DELCO PROFESSIONAL D1984A Ignition Module
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Car: 88 IROC Z/28-under re-construction
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port
Transmission: It's in there....
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt Borg-Warner

i have a fleet account and never have any issues with AUTOZONE...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

well in the case of the module. they are supposed to supply with a new one. they should give your money back if they are smart. but most times the "limited lifetime warranties" on parts means this you get in a front end collsion and break the radiator in two pieces. that is not covered under a lifetime warranty as it isn't a radiator default.

now going back to the module. should install an ac delco with the correct grease under it and you wont have problems for quite awhile.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 AM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 LB9

I've known people who have brought in worn down brake pads and our local autozone replaced them hassle free...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 AM

Car: 1969 RS Z28 X33 Norwood built
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: T10 4 speed

I buy my brake pads from them because of the warranty. I have put two sets of free pads on my commuter in 150,000 miles. Never any questions asked. I had a caliper bracket pin freeze up that resulted in uneven premature brake pad wear. Even though it wasn't the fault of their pads, they replaced them for me under their warranty anyway. I really appreciated that and they have my brake pad business for life. That being said, their batteries are garbage! My motto with them is if the part is easy to change, I buy it from them. If its a difficult part to change or will leave me stranded if it fails then I buy the genuine manufacturer part.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

All of these personal stories... "I worked at autozone..." or "I have never had any problems..." or "If it were me..."
The problem with a lot of people is they take a managers or employees words at face value. This is the 21st century and if it aint written down, it aint worth ****.

Not one person has linked the warranty page for autozone?

TA,
Print this out, go back to the store and POLITELY show it to the manager and ask for a refund.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ter...itedWarranties
If they refuse, ask for the number of supervisor, regional manager, etc... (their boss) and take it to the next level. Eventually your going to get somewhere.

Now to my personal opinion, I PERSONALLY dont like you writing a bad review of an autoparts store when your problem is with an employee. According to the link above, Autozone themselves has no problem giving your a refund.
If you are mad about the quality, look at the price. What did you expect?
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Good point Keoman, but I'll add something here. If you really want to get someone's supervisor, go to the manager (probably should have someone else do it since you have had issues) and tell them you have had splendid service every time you have gone in there and would like to contact their supervisor to tell them so. They will go out of their way for a pat on the back, not so much to be reported for bad service.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

Go to your local napa. my frined had the same problem with auto zone ignition control modules and he returned it. he then went to napa problem solved. the napa ignition control module was made in the USA.

Last edited by KITT1983; 12-16-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA Trans sold :(
Engine: 350 TPI L98 (B2L)
Transmission: TH700 R-4

<So, does anyone know the difference between:

GM 10482831 Distributor Module
and
AC DELCO PROFESSIONAL D1984A Ignition Module>

they are the same part, just that GM uses their number (10482831) at their dealers, and at part stores that sells AC delco parts call it (D1984A)...
kinda weird why they do that but it's always been like that for the 12 years i've been in the automotive business...
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 PM
TA
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Keoman
(edit for space)

Now to my personal opinion, I PERSONALLY dont like you writing a bad review of an autoparts store when your problem is with an employee. According to the link above, Autozone themselves has no problem giving your a refund.
If you are mad about the quality, look at the price. What did you expect?
Well, Keoman, it seems you are on target in many respects here. I was pretty bent about how I was treated, the fact that "the manager" said no matter what part, you are not getting your money back(lied), and how I was insulted by being told "the part is now used" (??) I didn't know what I was doing because the failures were not the fault of their product. I didn't have time to research the product or prices, and the whole experience left me feeling cheated and disrespected. Bad idea, Autozone!

However, when I went back to spend my "gift certificate" I was helped by a young asian guy, who was nothing short of awesome. He quickly determined that I did know what I was doing, and not only sold me a fresh distributor cap, but when I mentioned that it looked identical to the one on (the other car) that had an ignition miss, he searched down my original purchase of said cap under an old phone number I have not used in years, and told me to bring back the old cap with the receipt, and they would give me my money back. Upon doing this, the young lady that took care of me gave me no static, and promptly gave me my money back. Same location, different employees, completely different attitude and outcome. Ironically, I admitted I was not sure the miss was because of the cap, I was just replacing everything from the cap to the plugs, and the miss did disappear. Nobody cared, I got no condescending attitude from someone who has never turned a wrench in her life.

I was pretty hot when I wrote the original review, and now feel I did blast Autozones' warranty somewhat unfairly because of what their manager said and how she treated me. However the policy exclusion of "other parts" causing the problem is at the discretion of the Autozone employee, thus I feel justified in venting at Autozone because their employee, whom Autozone trained and promoted, is not the sort of person that should be making fault diagnosis. She was quite adamant, and this entire discussion took place in front of other employees and customers, who watched as her curt responses and veiled insults eventually turned a calm discussion into an argument.

Because these parts failures cost me significant time and money, and because of how I was treated with what I considered a reasonable request, I stick by my initial statement that one needs to beware of the Autozone warranty. Because the exclusion allows any employee to deny you the warranty at their discretion, and she would not have done it if there were not something "corporate" motivating her to deny me a refund, otherwise it makes no sense for her to do it. Someone up the Autozone food chain somehow encouraged her to deny me a refund, or it would never have happened.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC & ROLL-Z
Engine: L98 Vortec FIRST TPI
Transmission: T56, Mech Speedo
Axle/Gears: G92 J65 3.27

I'm glad you got it sorted out.
7,200,xxx,xxx people on the planet, some of them are just very closed minded. To each, his own.
Thanks for sharing the part about employee digression on returning the parts. I believe this lends perspective for future incidents.
As others have stated already, AutoZone and quality/reliability are almost antonyms.

Josh
Old 12-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen

I don't buy a lot of parts at autozone cause the nearest store is just over an hour away. but they are the only store i can find that carries German Castrol and Timken bearings. Im very brand particular and try to do my research on almost anything i buy so i don't end up with junk parts like the OP got.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 AM

Car: 1987 z28
Engine: 305tpi
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Usually auto zone can test the ignition modules. Any time an electronic part fails I make sure to 'permanently' fry it so it fails instantly. It's common to have stuff test well under cold but fail when hot.

Buying shelf parts with lifetime warranty is only honored with a receipt since the check out process will not prompt them to enter your phone number. Taking a picture of these receipts works great
Old 01-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Car: 1989 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 1LE Disc LSD

Any parts store can return practically any item if they want to. Hell i defected out a napa ac compressor and i work at advanced. If youre a nice person and there are not any dick managers you'll be fine. Just make friends with the staff, treat them right, tip them on battery installs and theyll give you the world. For the ignition module not being returned. I would bring my receipt to another auto zone and if that doesnt work, ask to speak to the district manager or call their corporate number.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

It's not just AZ lifetime warranty parts that have issues... It's pretty much all of them.

I had 2 Advance Auto lifetime warranty MAF sensors (NEW, NOT rebuilt) fail in 2 years. Not sure exactly why the first one failed, but the second one was because it WAS NOT BUILT RIGHT (not even close to OE). They warrantied the first one and told me to screw myself on the second. So I waited a couple of months and bought an OEM off of eBay... Problem solved and the sensor was still working when I sold it. The lifetime alternator I bought from them failed in 3 years... Not in the system any more, of course, and the receipt had faded. Again, I got the 'you're SOL" line, so I rebuilt it myself and still use the parts in a new housing.

Sometimes you will find that the standard "1-year" warranty parts are of better quality than the "lifetime" units.

That being said, I ONLY buy Duralast Gold batteries. I've had others. They stink. This is only until I can afford an Optima. Only reason I had an issue with my last DLG battery was because it was discharged within a year of purchase and never fully recovered before being taken out of service with the car. Whereupon it sat for 3 years, and was pretty much stone dead.

As for AZ customer service... It's terrible in the stores I've been in. I've had the people tell me that a bad part is good (after testing...) right to my face along with "we can't test that ECM" (even though the instructions AND the harness were in the test bench and I had seen as such 2 weeks before when they were testing my ignition module as they were hunting for the right harness).

The hatch struts I bought from AZ in 2003 still work just fine (even better now that I got rid of the heavy 91-92 Z28 spoiler).

Stay away from their cheapo spark plug wires, though. I have yet to have a set where the terminals stay attached to the wires upon removal from the plugs... Yeah, yeah. It was an emergency and I needed wires BAD.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Car: '87 IROC-Z/28
Engine: 357 HSR
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3:73 w/Eaton Posi

I hate these threads, and generally dont reply if i can help it.

Initial tone sets the end result. This applies anywhere. Be nice and youll get good service. Employees do what theyre told, our store doesnt get customer complaints. On the rare occasion that we do, you were screaming and it didnt end well.

Return policy states managerial discretion, we can see a customers return rate and we keep track of what you buy and what you return to us. Our store will not return used electrical parts (also stated and posted in our store return policy). We do make exceptions on occasion, as they would have in this instance. That particular manager was being hard headed.

People need to underatand we deal with alot of diy and back yard mechanics who have no business working on anything with wheels. It probably wasnt installed correctly and theres probably more issues. I also understand there are employees of said stores that shouldnt be there and talk out of their asses. You should also accept that there are some that have more talent in their 21 years of being on earth than in your 40 years of being a mechanic.

Some parts are **** and most are decent, once in a while you get a bad run. It happens. You all bash autozone, advance, napa, and oriley. They all sell the same stuff, employ the same underpaid people, and all put up with you. I know you hate reading directions, but try it. The manufactures of the parts include instructions to ensure the best life of their product.
Most duralast electrics are made by wells tech and a1 cardone. I have had a duralast ingitikn control module taking abuse from an msd ignition system for years. Never warrantied it out once. I have duralast chassis parts on the front end of my f350 Fummins plowing for years. Never warrantied and still tight. But ive blow out 4 sets of gabriel shocks in a year. Someone said above they know what to buy and what not to, thats true to an extent. Ive bought parts frn the dealer, toast in a few months with no warranty. Ball joints in fact, in a d60 front end. Not a fun job, wont buy from the dealer again simply because im out $80 every time they each go out. Id take a lifetime warranty anyday.

Stop complaining and be grateful for one of the best warranties in the industry. It must be a west coast thing for having bad service. I know autozone has a pledge, and the first line is "autozoners always put customers first". If you have a problem, move it up the chain. But remember what i said, tone is everything. happy beginning, happy end. Make friends.

Every company has rules for warranty set out by the manufacture of the part, but bottom line is if that a part is not found to be defective, the company will not be reimbursed. So these retail parts stores do sometimes "hassle" customers, but its usually because the parts arent defective. Theres a contributing factor. If its really bad, no problem. I have stuff trst good off car and its bad. I have batteries that need to be charged and tested (same with other bench test items) before a warranty can be done. Policy is policy no matter where you go.

Countermen put up with alot of bs and people trying to take advantage. The economy is bad and we so have to look out for ourselves. We do have jobs to do, and its a fortune 500 company. Everyones out to make money, not to be theives. If theyre wrong, theyll refund it.

Just go about it the right way.
The customer is always right, until they're wrong.

(Screw iphones)

Last edited by chevelle600; 01-08-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:26 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z-28 Convertible
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I have been going to the local Autozone for 13 years. These guys strive to deliver the best customer service possible.
That said, I have witnessed customers approach them in a hostile manner and leads to this type of post.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
i work for the same company and its all about the attitude you come through the door with. And yes I will agree some of duralast stuff does isnt the greatest but i still enjoy my job and the people i work with
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

In all my years of buying car parts I have come to the conclusion that places like Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts sell nothing but cheaply made China parts for the uneducated shadetree mechanic. These parts MAY get you back on the road for a short time or even a few years BUT there is no way these chain stores can offer lifetime warranties on wear and tear items and still make a profit. The "LW" option sells most of these parts and the stores bank on one of two things. 1: the customer sells the car prior to it failing and now the warranty is lost forever and not needed with the original purchaser or 2: the part fails and the customer either forgets its under warranty or cant find any info that proves he bought it there and has no choice but to buy a new replacement part and start the process all over again.

I stopped buying parts from these stores a LONG time ago. I spend a few extra dollars and either go to the dealer or buy name brand parts from reputable places.

There is a reason why there is a Facebook page call Autozone Sucks!!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
the part fails and the customer either forgets its under warranty or cant find any info that proves he bought it there and has no choice but to buy a new replacement part and start the process all over again.
There is no way to lose a warranty file even if the customer loses the reciept and/or changes his number the file can easily be found by searching the last name therefore isnt fault on autozone but the employee not knowing what to do I can agree with most of the stuff said on here but at the same time you have to understand that its not always there fault rather than the employee your dealing with. In no way am I getting defenseful or upset just helping to better understand the real problem
Old 01-09-2014, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i avoid shopping at autozone or advanced auto to begin with. i was in a tough spot after breaking my starter solenoid cap and none of the reputable auto supply places carried it. i bought one from them, worked all of about 4 times then stopped. had to start the car by jumping the connection with a screwdriver. one and only time i bought something from them and it was crap. If i buy anything from them, i just make sure its zip ties or tire plugs. bought a pick set once to work on a weedwacker carb, and wound up bending the tips, even their tools suck lol
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I NEVER have a problem returning 'bad' parts;... NEVER.

As a matter of fact,... when Auto Palace was bought out by Autozone years back they STILL honored the 'Lifetime' parts I bought from Auto Palace when I brought them back after they failed.

I've walked into that place with everything from an oil pressure sensor with a leak, to warped brake rotors,.... even parts that still "worked" but had issues ( like a mech fuel pump that worked fine but 'clicked' like crazy) In every instance the problem part was quickly replaced either from parts on the shelf - and even when the parts had to be ordered.

Most of the time I don't even bother to bring in my reciept, they have all my info on file from the time of the original purchase.

Can't understand how people seem to have trouble returning parts that go bad,...... I can only assume that it's got something to do with clashing personalities or poor attitude ( customer and/or associate )

Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: TPI 350
Axle/Gears: 3:27's

Yup, I agree !!!!! Nothing but bad service, **** parts and uneducated staff !!!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Originally Posted by 86_irocz-28
There is no way to lose a warranty file even if the customer loses the reciept and/or changes his number the file can easily be found by searching the last name therefore isnt fault on autozone but the employee not knowing what to do I can agree with most of the stuff said on here but at the same time you have to understand that its not always there fault rather than the employee your dealing with. In no way am I getting defenseful or upset just helping to better understand the real problem
I have to disagree with you on this. The computers only hold the warranty data for so long. Once that time is up, you never bought the part as far as they are concerned. Concerning the alternator (yes, I know, not AZ but just as bad), I went back to the exact same store I always go to, where half of the people working there know me by name, where I bought the thing, and they told me there was nothing they could do since it was no longer in the system. And yes, like I said, I had the receipt (I keep all of those kinds of receipts in an envelope in my car folder), but it was WAY too faded to scan.

Now, as for the employees, I was looking for a set of main bearings for my V6 2 years ago. I called the store and the idiot on the phone gave me a part number and price for a T-5 MAINSHAFT BEARING, even after I told her that I was looking for an ENGINE part and not a TRANSMISSION part. I went around with her on the phone for a full 5 minutes before she got the on-duty manager on the phone, you know, the guy who knew WTF he was talking about. Only thing I got out of that experience was that apparently nobody makes main bearings for a GM 60* V6 that are .010" oversize because I called several stores (between several chains) and nobody could get them... Good thing I actually needed standard bearings, or I would have been SOL...

Oh, and the tools... DO NOT get a lifter puller from either Advance or AZ. They both will break on the first lifter. Tried 2 of them and one jaw came off of both. Also, don't bother with the small Torx bit set. The ends twist. Not sure about the pliers, wrenches, or ratchets, but I have 2 3/8" hex bits, 1 10mm hex bit, and a couple of the 3/8" drive larger Torx bits, and a 15mm socket that are still going strong. My T20 screwdriver has gone to crap, however...

Last edited by Maverick H1L; 01-09-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.55

Ok....I too a while back used to work for AZ as well.....as for warranty record files, they store up to 299 warrantied items, then once you buy another one, the very first item "drops off" but it isn't lost. Per phone number AZ has a limit on their data severs to store info to pull up directly. If the PSM on duty knows his stuff, he can use the backroom computer and pull up any and all "archived" warranty items that have dropped off and can't be recalled by the counter computers.

Next, most AZ employees aren't even aware that about 90% of all the behind the counter hard parts aren't paid for by AZ until a customer buys the part. That's why AZ corporate makes the employee spend ridiculous time "flexing" parts and reorganizing their shelfs-if the part hasn't sold in 3 months time, back to the DC it goes.

Next, as for parts, I had multiple modules go bad and I traced it down to my coil giving my .2K resistance on the primary which was killing my modules. And for the record, I too am brand specific and BW Select ignition parts are what I prefer. I did make O'Reilly warehouse pull every BW coil module and mag. Pickup until they gave me all USA made parts. I decided to not chance anything and rebuilt the entire distributor-adj. advance, curve kit, etc.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: TPI 5.7
Transmission: T-56

Autozone has stuff on me going back to the year 2000 so it must be the 299 thing. They dug up cars I forgot I even owned. And my old dorm room phone numbers from 100 miles away. They even had cars my friends owned; I guess I had picked up parts for them.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:40 AM

Car: 92 Trans Am, 87 Formula
Engine: 305 soon to be TBI, 91 305 TPI swap
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt

i bought probably the same ignition module for my V6 GMC truck and ive had the same issue. i went thru 3 in about 18 months bought a ac delco and its been good to me ever since
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350

Just learned my lesson on the AZ ignition modules too. Two year old module and my truck just died on the street. They did replace it with no hassle, now installed in my glove box. Put in a new BWD module from Advance. Local people are great to deal with, but some of the products are just subpar.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by TA
Had a distributor module go bad after 23 years. Dyno Don says something about washing a car seems to kill them?? Bought a new "Lifetime Warranty" module at Autozone for $56. Put it in, and the car ran well for 3 weeks, then started to backfire and stall, then died and would not start. Long story short, it was the new ignition module!!

On my return to Autozone, I was given another one. Installed it and the car ran fine...for another 3 weeks, then started shuddering, stalling/restarting multiple times on the freeway, and finally died while I was trying to get home. Very similar symptoms to the last one, and no I didn't wash the car! After getting towed home and buying one elsewhere (the car runs fine again!), I took the dead one back to Autozone, and they would not give me my money back, because it is a USED PART!?! How would I know it is bad if I didn't install it you genius?

So when I asked the manager if they would pull the same crap with a water pump if they kept going bad, she said yes, no money back. Really? So your store policy is to stick people with junk parts? To which she responds "I doubt it is the part sir". Blame the customer for your garbage parts and lack of integrity? My response "how long have you been a mechanic?, I've been one for 25 years!" She offered a gift card for the price of the part, so they still have my money, and I'm not happy about it.

FYI, the last parts I bought from them for this car were rear hatch lift struts, which failed after about a year, letting the hatch slam and breaking my pull-down motor housing. Their response: If you ordered it, it is warrantied, if you bought it on self service (I did), there is no warranty, tough beans, spend another $75 bucks on another pair.

So when looking for parts for your vehicles, remember Autozone sells garbage and will not stand behind it, "lifetime warranty" or not.
I have a small shop here. I do anything from wiper blades to full rebuilds. so I do a LOT of parts buying. here is what I have learned. parts from auto zone and advance are the cheapest, bottom of the shipping container you can get. I do not buy parts online unless the customer has time to wait, most don't. I get my parts from NAPA and o reilleys. and when I do , I get their top of the line .
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton

I bought a set of lifetime warranty brake pads that went out and they told me tough luck that is not how the lifetime warranty works. It was on a '99 cavalier too. Took receipt and old pads in there. Simply a lot of hills in Hawaii, so they don't last as long.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 189 Likes on 149 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am L69
Engine: Sniper EFI Powered 355
Transmission: WC T5 w/ Steel Support Plate
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt Posi

Originally Posted by MrPackstin
I bought a set of lifetime warranty brake pads that went out and they told me tough luck that is not how the lifetime warranty works. It was on a '99 cavalier too. Took receipt and old pads in there. Simply a lot of hills in Hawaii, so they don't last as long.
I bought their lifetime pads 10 years ago on my toyota. They have given me a few new ones in the last 100k+ miles even when a caliper locked up and ate them.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 89 forrmula
Engine: 350 TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.55

They are supposed to warranty against material defects and normal wear. This means yes they should replace them if they are simply worn down. But, if a caliper for instance being beyond their control locks up and destroys one, they aren't required to honor the warranty but let's face it-the majority of people who buy their brakes there most likely spend a lot of money on other crap too so its never usually a good idea to **** off a customer. Most times AZ has made more than three times their money the first time you buy a cheap set of "Duralast" brakes anyway-thats their Taiwan/Chinese house brand which they outright own.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

Never had any probs with replacements for lifetime warranty parts at auto zone or advance auto.

No they will not give you a refund, but they will give you another part to replace the worn out or bad one.

Scan your sales slip though and keep it on your computer. They only keep the records in their computer for 2 years and we all know the sales slips fade out in 6 mo or so. No record or sales slip no return. .
Old 11-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I use Amazon since I'm a "prime" member. Just about everything is at my door in 2 days. They ask no questions on returns. Just give them a reasonable explanation to why you need to return an item and they give you a return shipping label. The prices are competitive with Rock Auto or any other internet auto parts sales sites that sell quality parts. You just have to know your part numbers since Amazon doesn't have a good parts look-up utility for specific applications on their site. And like I previously mentioned...the shipping is so darn fast if you are a Prime member. I've ordered parts on a Friday morning and had them at my front door on Saturday.

Quick Reply: Beware Autozone "lifetime warranty"!