Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

My own little views on Summit vs. Jegs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 04:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2001 Camaro SS
Engine: Almighty LS1
Transmission: T56
My own little views on Summit vs. Jegs

I made an order to Jegs Monday night, called a few hours ago and they said it had already been shipped out... which surprised me, especially after reading what a lot of you had to say...

Unfortunately I made this order before the Summit discount (which I plan to use anyway for things they have in stock) was posted... but thats ok, when I called Summit the part I needed wasn't in stock, but the rest of what I needed was... and granted Jegs has been good so far with only 2 orders, and I've had my problems with Summit, but Overall... even with the lack of problems so far with jegs, I'm still going to do most of my shopping through Summit

Summits customer service area both online and off are wonderful (ok so one guy was a little airheaded when I asked about clutches and shifter ***** but thats fine, I got it straightened out )...
Jegs' customer service area online basically is the equivalent to reading a dictionary word for word, in reverse.... no real help, no order tracking, etc... not even email addresses... Their phone service is iffy to me... fairly informative and to the point, and I guess I was lucky enough to catch a guy either coming onto his shift or who had just gotten laid before coming in to work because he sounded fairly attentive and upbeat for someone working a night job answering phones

Summit has more to offer, but Jegs at times has things in stock at the time

Summits prices beat out Jegs in a lot of areas, but for air/fuel ... its the same (atleast for what I was shopping for) ... shipping was the same, etc.

I haven't gotten my new catalog from summit, but got 2 old ones within a few months of my first purchase...

I still have yet to see a Jegs catalog after a year (which is why it took me so damned long to buy from them in the first place)

Jegs has a quicker loading format for those of us unfortunate enough to be on Dialup still

Summit has a decent format but takes a bit longer to load on dialup

Summit's information is more details
Jegs has more pictures
Summit carries items I've never seen on Jegs

Jegs has their item list going by model (camaro, firebird, etc) not just make (GM, Chevy, etc), and their list is a bit more spread out and easier to read

Summit ships faster
Summit is decent enough to offer us discounts that really come as a surprise to everyone

After this week, I plan to stick to Summit, and I plan to make use of their 10% discount for a few things soon, since I need them fairly quickly anyway

ok I'm done with my little rant for now ... I think hehe
Old 04-04-2001, 09:25 AM

But you are still in the dark on this subject. Jegs and Summit are not the only places to get parts. Granted, I used to buy from both of them over the last 10 years or so, but recently I've seen the light.

I now buy very few parts from Jegs or Summit, but have spent most of my money at SDPC, carpartsonsale.com, and other vendors. The key here is the pricing. Jegs and Summit have people believing that their prices are the lowest anywhere. That is simply not true. I recently bought a bunch of TPI parts from carpartsonsale.com and saved over $200 on a $950 order! I compared each of the 6 items I bought against the "other guys", and they were 15-20% higher across the board. That's a big deal to me. The customer service at the alternative sources is just as good if not better than Jegs or Summit.

You must be an educated consumer. Do some price comparisons and see for yourself. It's your money.

The parts in my sig (including the engine) did NOT come from Jegs or Summit, they came from vendors who know how important their customers are...

------------------
'92 RS, ZZ4 10:1 350, Edelbrock 6085 heads, Crane 208/214 467/482 cam, GM/LT4 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock Hi-Flow base, runners & 52mm TB, SLP/Jet-Hot 1-5/8" headers, Catco 3" cat, Flowmaster 3" catback, Hughes 2500 stall converter, stock 700R4, Auburn Pro posi w/3.42, 17x9" SS rims w/BFG tires, Medium Quasar Blue w/white SS stripes, 48,000 miles....
Old 04-04-2001, 11:40 AM

I think the "in stock" problem that Summit sometimes has and the Jegs allways has stuff "in stock" is because more people order from Summit instead of Jegs. >=)

------------------
EVILFACE

88 Camaro
Stock 305 TBI Auto,Flowmaster, Full 3" Exhaust, B&M Megashifter
Runs A Blistering 16.5 @ 81.5 mph

http://www.evilface.com/evilscamaro.htm
Old 04-04-2001, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
i havent had any problems really with either one, although summits phone people seem alot smarter then jegs but outside of that ive ordered form both and never had a problem

------------------
91 camaro RS
- 305 TBI
Mods: Performer tbi intake, 1" TBI spacer, K+N, jet fan switch ,160 thermo, accel control module, Jet Stage 2 chip, edelbrock TES headers, Compleate 3" Flowmaster exhaust, Edolbrock springs, KYB struts and shocks

Soon to come . Posi 323 rear end , aftermarket LCA,s and panhard bar , Ascd ram air hood, Z28 spoiler and grille , white guage faces.
Old 04-05-2001, 01:38 AM

Summit's the best! Hey did anyone ever use ASAP a few years ago? What happened there? They were pretty cool, basically another Summit, but not around for very long. I threw some business there way, but apparently not enough!

-Rich
Old 04-19-2001, 09:58 AM

I haven't had any problems with either.. of course ordering from Summit on Friday afternoon and getting my parts Saturday morning (via ground.. free shipping) rules! ( I live in SW ohio..)
Old 04-22-2001, 02:24 PM

Car: '87 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 Superram/DFI
Transmission: Auto BTE 3000 conv
ASAP was a division of Super Shops. I know b/c I worked there when they went out of business.

------------------
87 IROC-Z, 5.7, auto, 3.27, leather, !cat, Holley fpr, K&N'S, SLP 1-3/4" Jet-Hot coated headers, SLP .218/.224 .495/.502 cam, Comp 1.5 roller tip rockers, $uperPITAram, Edelbrock lower intake, Holley 52mm tb, Dynomax\Flowmaster catback. Coming Soon(?)- Fasttrack/Accell DFI

1989 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am - 161,000 miles, !cat, 9" K&N
Old 04-22-2001, 05:19 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: VSux
Transmission: Flux Capacitor
I just got off the phone with summit and now i'm flat out pissed off! I placed an order for fuel injectors on 3/28! They first told me they would get them on 4/7 and would ship them out, then I went to check my order status and it was pushed back to 4/19 i had to call to find this out they didn't tell me. Today I call and all the lady can say is they should've been here by now, and the reason is that Accel themselves are out and are manufacturing more, call back this week and we can call them and find out if they shipped them. This is utter and complete BULLS**T!! this is not how you run a business, I can't blame this all on summit more blame might fall on Accel if they told summit the stuff would be there. Either way I won't be doing business with Summit again if they don't do something to remedy this. Even if parts are more expensive at the local carquest I know that guy won't feed me any bulls**t about "oh it'll be here the 7th, no now it's coming 19th" If he says 4 days its in my hands in 4 days or less. The reason I am so ticked is the 28th it will have been a month? That is ridiculous one full month!!!

P.S.
Who should I complain to at summit and maybe Accel too? I don't yell at sales reps, not their fault, thier job sucks enough already without people yelling at them for stuff that they can't help, well not sucks but if you have ever worked retail sales you know what i mean.

------------------
1992 RS 3.1
1985 POS (SC 2.8 CFI)

[This message has been edited by auxout (edited April 22, 2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 09:42 AM

I always like the Jegs catalog better. The funny thing is that I like dealing with Summit better. Next time you find a part in a Jegs catalog, call Summit and give them the Jegs number. Its as easy as that! I love it.

------------------
1992 Pontiac Firebird 350/Six Speed
1987 Toyota Pickup 383/500+ HP
Old 05-01-2001, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Heh, I've abused the Jegs catalog for part numbers quite a few times; then given the # to Summit.

I've seen where I can save money sometimes by going to another place, but I'm of the opinion "if the service is great, go back."

There was a goof-up once on my 2nd cat-back exhaust.. it wasn't shipped out the next day. I called up Summit three days later, since I usually get my parts in two days. They said it hadn't shipped, apologized, and fixed the mistake. It gets better! Then, they sent me the heavy/bulky cat-back "next day air"- AND comp'd me for the normal shipping price! Unbelievable!

------------------
-Tom P (Hot rodded 1986 Firebird 2.8l) from http://www.f-body.net/mailbag/3rd/3rd_mailbag.html message boards
---Think your car could be pic of the week? Visit http://www.f-body.net for details!
Old 05-09-2001, 11:07 AM

Car: 92 Camaro
Engine: 406 sbc
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" ME with 4.56 gears
---------------------------------------------
SCOTT C
The key here is the pricing. Jegs and Summit have people believing that their prices are the lowest anywhere. That is simply not true.
---------------------------------------------
He is right! I have just found a parts warehouse in my area that not only saves me money on parts But, the parts at my house the next day. I can even talk to the same people everytime I call.

------------------
84 Z28
accel supper ram
6000 rpm Hyd roller cam
afr heads
t-56 trans, [wier racing bellhousing and hydrolic throwout bearing]
9" ME rearend 3.91 Gears
Old 05-13-2001, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I have always had better luck with Jegs. You guys say that the customer reps are more helpful at Summit. I haven't had that experience even once. I have called Summit to inquire about something and the guy has no idea what he is talking about and tells me that he doesn't have that in stock. I immediately call Jegs and they are helpful. They even have stuff in stock. Not just one instance but numerous ones over the past 6 or 7 years. I will always use Jegs over Summit.
Old 05-16-2001, 11:59 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have always had better luck with Jegs. You guys say that the customer reps are more helpful at Summit. I haven't had that experience even once. I have called Summit to inquire about something and the guy has no idea what he is talking about and tells me that he doesn't have that in stock. I immediately call Jegs and they are helpful. They even have stuff in stock. Not just one instance but numerous ones over the past 6 or 7 years. I will always use Jegs over Summit.</font>
I second that!! I buy the majority of my parts from Seco Performance http://www.secoperformance.com/ Bowtie Performance Headquarters www.bowtieperformance.com and Barnett Performance http://www.barnettperformance.com/ Mainly because of lower prices and the fact that Seco and Barnett both within an hour's drive from my home. But as far as the JEG's VS Summit issue goes, I would much rather order from Jeg's than Summit. Summit seems to never have the parts I need in stock and on SEVERAL occasions, thet have simply sent the wrong parts and then hassle you about sending them back. JHMO

------------------
82 Z28 383, Ported 215cc Dart Iron Eagle Heads, Comp custom grind roller cam, Speed Pro .250" domes, Wheeler Motorsports 4340 I beam rods, Eagle 5140 steel crank, Weiand Team G intake, Holley 800 DP, hedman headers
Trans: Turbo 350 w/ 4000 stall -- Rearend 7.5 w/ Richmond 4.10's, Auburn Minispool
Best ET: *NEW ENGINE* untried at track!!

89 RS, L03 305, Hypertech Chip,cat delete, Dynomax exhaust,K&N open element Filter,160 stat, MSD coil --Trans:700R4 Corvette Servo -- Rearend: 7.5 GM 3.42 w/ posi-lock
New Best ET: 14.91 @92.9
Bassett Racing
Mid Atlantic F Body -82 Z28 Page

R.I.P. Dale Earnhardt #3

[This message has been edited by Basett Racing (edited May 16, 2001).]