Aftermarket Vendor Review Provide questions and comments about aftermarket part vendors for the Third Gen F-Body.

the iron duke

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the iron duke

I have an 82 camaro with a 2.5 L TBI 4 cylinder LQ9. I'm am having a problem with it failing to stay running. I can spray gas in the tbi and it runs and then dies. New plugs ,distributor,coil wires, gas tank with fuel pump inside. Getting spark with fuel being the issue I'm getting fuel intermittently to the injector I have pulse at the injector tested with Noid light. It ran strong after I initially tuned it. It died and I have not been able to get it going for two weeks. I hear the fuel pump actuate when the key is on I see a spray gas not strong it runs then dies. could it be a fuel pressure relay? loose wire what do you think?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: LR4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23posi/disc
Re: the iron duke

Just my thoughts on it, but if you have consistent pulse and inconsistent fuel then I would take three things strongly into consideration.
1. bad fuel pump(new doesn't always mean good or quality)
2. bad/clogged fuel pressure regulator
3. bad/gummed up injector

Here's what I would do.
First I noticed you didn't say anything about the fuel filter, easy $15 change out.

I'm no expert, but my second step would be to find somebody with another tbi vehicle that will allow you under their hood(trucks/suv's would suffice im sure)
Then you can use what ever item you choose(I use a long screw driver) and put one end against an injector and the other up to your ear. Compare the loudness or "strength" of the injector actuating vs. your injector(you may need a second person to help keep the car running while you do this)

If it passes this test, I would test the fuel pressure next. I'd be lying if I told you I knew what the 2.5 required.

If fuel pressure is good/consistent, then other than something stupid like a crushed or pinched fuel line, then I'd have to assume its the regulator.

Also as a note, I had an issue back when I was 18 with my car losing power to the pump intermittently, my less experienced self at the time replaced my fuel pump without replacing the harness to the pump so after being touched after so many years I had an intermittent open circuit.