Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Hood: Metal or Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 01:04 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood: Metal or Fiberglass

I am looking to put a Cowl Induction hood onto my 90' RS. I would like to know what you guys recommend, fiberglass or metal. I would also like to know what height to get as I plan to put a K&N filter underneath when I replace the hood. I will also see how my friends fiberglass hood lasts on his 69' Chevelle. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Old 09-16-2000, 01:59 PM

I really like the fiberglass, but- and im sure you will here this from more than just me- DONT, i repeat, DONT get a harwood. Me, as well as many others here have had trouble with them. Mine fits like hell, too low in tha back, too high in the front, and not that straight either. I know a FEW people have had trouble with them. From what i hear, ACSU or something, makes a nice one. Classic Industries has one in their catalog, but im not sure who makes it..... Hope this helps.

------------------
1988 Formula, 305TPI, 700r4(for now), headers, stage 2 PROM, modded MAF, cat back, no catalytics, cowl hood, centerline champ 500 rims, KOBEL predator ground effects kit, Trans AM tailights, dash pouch, 92 shift console w/indicator, white face gauges, accented red trim, 12 speaker stereo, 4 amps, tint, T tops... icq 44373460 AIM:admrlam
see it at www.geocities.com/admrlam/bird.html
Old 09-16-2000, 10:00 PM

I have a Daytona (or Iroc Turbo) hood which has a 2.5 inch cowl in it. I got mine from ASCD. The custom body shop guy that painted my car said that was the best fiberglass hoods he has ever installed. He said most of them are designed for race purposes and don't fit worth a crap. I highly suggest getting one from ASCD. He aslo said it was nice and thick unlike most of them(in other words, it doesn't flex as bad).

Like I mentioned before, mine is 2.5 inches and I don't think I could stand anything higher for everyday driving. But, some people have the 4 inch on there daily driver.

I suggest calling ASCD and getting deminsions on there cowl hood and then constructing you own version out of cardboard. Put this in the middle of you hood, sit in you car and you will have the good idea of how it is going to look.

MM89Iroc
Old 09-18-2000, 12:14 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

ASCD = American Sports Car Design
Correct??
Old 09-24-2000, 01:02 AM

yeah, american sportscar design seems to have a good rep, but my friend got one from there and the body shop said it was not easy to put on and fix the waves. But I have only heard a few other complaints about them. I have a steel cowl hood and it fits good. It is from goodmark industries (goodmarkindustries.com)

------------------
91 rs convertible, K&N, Edelbrock open element cleaner, 3.73, B&M shifter
Old 09-24-2000, 03:26 PM
Banned

dont get a metal hood!! You will be so much lighter with a fiberglass hood. I wish someone made a CF hood! But if I were you I would get the fiber glass one