Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Paint color help/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 4th Gen 3.4 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Paint color help/ideas

I received this car last summer from my grandpa to be my first car. He was going to sell it, but couldn't bare to get rid of it like that. So he gave it to me. The paint was chipped and had rusted in places, along with it sitting for years, it didn't help the bottom of the doors. But I sanded it down, and used some cheap primer just to be able to get it on the road. I know it needs some work done in some areas still, but i'm thinking about bringing it in the garage this summer and painting it. The guy who will be helping me is sold on getting me to paint it an "iroc blue". What do you think? I want a blue, not only because of the interior, but being from Indiana, and a colts fan, and it being my favorite color. Haha. Any pics of colors on cars, and paint codes would be nice. Here are a few of the car:

Name:  193747_209491009063887_100000089678730_885360_3481054_o-1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  121.0 KB

Name:  171894_202438363102485_100000089678730_834836_4283599_o.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  192316_210450142301307_100000089678730_893391_3500366_o.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  62.0 KB

Last edited by 84beaut; 06-18-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Car: Blue 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI, Soon a 355 TPI
Transmission: Auto, Soon a WCT-5
Axle/Gears: Nine Bolt, 3.42 posi
Re: Paint color help/ideas

Granddads are great for things like this; my Granddad gave me my first car (a million years ago). My first car wasn’t quite as cool as a 3rd gen Camaro though; it was a 1963 Ford Galaxy. However it got me around until I could afford something better. Be sure to thank him often and always remember that he won’t be here forever, enjoy your time with him and include him in this project if you can.
My 1986 Z-28 is IROC blue with IROC striping (no lettering though). I wish I had a picture of it when I got it back from the paint shop years ago, it was gorgeous. It is a little rough now from time outside and the couple of years my son took it to college. Still doesn’t look too bad from 15 feet away.
If you have someone that will help you with the paint I would recommend this color, it is pretty. I assume you will be “pitching in” on all this work; this is a good way to learn how to paint cars. If you are a car nut this is a skill that will come n very handy.
Anyway, good luck on your project. It looks like you have a good start already.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 AM

I thank him as much as I can. Haha. Unfortunately he is in Indiana, and I have moved good trip away down in Kentucky, so he can't be here to help me with it, though I call him with every problem I have with it. I'm a computer nut. I've been building and working on computers since I was 10, And have been going to school with them in mind. But since i've had this, ive got that itch to just dig into it and get to know everything, same as I did when I started with computers. Haha. I actually havent touched a computer since Ive got the car, and every dime I have earned has went into odds and ends ive wanted to replace on it.

But back on topic, Ive been trying to look up the iroc blue, and I do think I will go with it. What is really the best brand of paint to go with for this? I do plan on trying to learn a lot about painting it though, definitely. I can't wait to have it painted. I live near Somerset, home of the "Somernites cruise", and I'm there every weekend eyeballing the thirdgens and admiring the work put into them. I often get lost here in the forums looking at pictures of them. Haha
Old 06-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: currently 91 camaro
Engine: soon to be 350 turbo
Transmission: soon to be 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 99 ss rear end with richmond 4:11's

well if you want to get a little crazy these are my last two camaro. the green one I'm currently finishing up. little out there but i fun
Attached Thumbnails Paint color help/ideas-green.jpg   Paint color help/ideas-orange-2.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Haha, I think i've seen those pics on here somewhere. They are quite the bright colors, but i'm not much of a green person. Lol. And I don't really have a lot to show off under the hood like that.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: currently 91 camaro
Engine: soon to be 350 turbo
Transmission: soon to be 4l80e
Axle/Gears: 99 ss rear end with richmond 4:11's

lol ya i get a little attention with them lol and i dont dare try and run from the cops lol "um no officer you have me mistaken with another northern hillbilly riced out camaro" lolol funny thing is these aren't really the look i would like to drive around with but when i start painting i just want to have fun and when you have a 15 yrs old daughter that says "hey dad try this" well i cant help but do it lol
Attached Thumbnails Paint color help/ideas-engine-colors.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Hello neighbor!!!!

Looks like you are about 30-40 miles from me.

I went with Dodge Viper Blue. Its close to iroc blue, but just a little different.
Check out my sig for pics.

Oh yeah, Check out www.kyhorsepower.com and www.kystreets.com
There are some guys on those boards from Somerset.

Later
Wayne aka "bluegrassz"
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Forgot my sig. lol
Old 06-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 89fbrestor
lol ya i get a little attention with them lol and i dont dare try and run from the cops lol "um no officer you have me mistaken with another northern hillbilly riced out camaro" lolol funny thing is these aren't really the look i would like to drive around with but when i start painting i just want to have fun and when you have a 15 yrs old daughter that says "hey dad try this" well i cant help but do it lol
Haha, if you did, just take it home, and paint it another color. They wouldn't know what the hell happened. Lol

Originally Posted by bluegrassz
Hello neighbor!!!!

Looks like you are about 30-40 miles from me.

I went with Dodge Viper Blue. Its close to iroc blue, but just a little different.
Check out my sig for pics.

Oh yeah, Check out www.kyhorsepower.com and www.kystreets.com
There are some guys on those boards from Somerset.

Later
Wayne aka "bluegrassz"
Hah, you sure are! I'm up in London every once in a while, since Somerset doesn't have a steak n' shake. Lol. Have you ever had your car down at the car show for somernights cruise? In fact, it's this weekend. Thanks for the links, i'll be sure to check them out. And I like that Viper blue. It looks like more of a bold blue, more along the lines of what i'm looking for. Did you do it yourself?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84beaut

Hah, you sure are! I'm up in London every once in a while, since Somerset doesn't have a steak n' shake. Lol. Have you ever had your car down at the car show for somernights cruise? In fact, it's this weekend. Thanks for the links, i'll be sure to check them out. And I like that Viper blue. It looks like more of a bold blue, more along the lines of what i'm looking for. Did you do it yourself?
No, never been but that may change. I havent even been to Crusin on Main right here in town. lol

Yeah, my brother-in-law and I painted it. The car use to be red, but I wanted something different.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM

That's cool. Where did you get the paint for it around here? But you should go, it is pretty fun. The car show is always during the day downtown. Just park somewhere and there are plenty of cars to go look around. Hardly any 3rd Gens though. And at about 7:30, they hit 27 or "The strip" And thousands of people head to the parking lots of Just about every restaurant or free parking lot in town to sit and watch. Plenty of burnouts usually. Haha. I usually drive around for the heck of it.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

I used PPG paint, but the place that sold it is out of business.

There is a place in Corbin named Car Colors that sells PPG. You should be able to purchase paint on line. Im sure someone in Somerset sells paint. Ask some of the local body shops and parts stores. Napa usually mixes paint and some Orielly's auto parts.

Are you going to do the paint yourself?

I might try to get over for a show this summer.

Last edited by bluegrassz; 06-22-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Yeah, i'm going to try and do it myself. My fiance's dad lives next door to me, and he use to be a big time body man up in Frankfort. He owns a store in town now but he has all the nice professional stuff to paint it with. We are going to turn my little 2 car garage into a little paint shop to do it and he is going to help me out. But i'm really liking that color blue now. My birthday is the 3rd of next month. I might get lucky and be able to get it painted.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84beaut
Yeah, i'm going to try and do it myself. My fiance's dad lives next door to me, and he use to be a big time body man up in Frankfort. He owns a store in town now but he has all the nice professional stuff to paint it with. We are going to turn my little 2 car garage into a little paint shop to do it and he is going to help me out. But i'm really liking that color blue now. My birthday is the 3rd of next month. I might get lucky and be able to get it painted.
You should be able to get that color mixed in any name brand paint. I have just always liked PPG Deltron base/clear system. Make sure you change colors in the jams, under the hood and around the trunk.

Oh yeah, my birthday is next week the 29th. My nephew's is july 2 and moms is july 4th. lol
Old 06-25-2011, 10:43 PM

Well happy early birthday. Haha. To all of you. Next week i'm getting a newer model 88' 700R4 put in since the front seal went out finally maybe along with other stuff. Then once that is done, I think i'm going to focus on paint/exhaust. I need to find the cheapest place to order or get the lower door skins that are basically the lower door that you can weld on for rusted out bottoms of door specially. I know of no junk yards around here that I could find doors for these at. And then I need to figure out if I'm going to leave the nose cone as it is, or try and find another one. The grilles are cracked and falling apart from when it sat in the sun for forever, and the drivers side corner is warped like it has been hit. Other then that, the body is absolutely solid, and just needs a good resanding and touch up with non-cheapo primer. How much did your paint job cost you?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks,

There is a guy over around Irvine that has about 200 thirdgens. I dont know were he is located, but some of the local guys might. I might be easier to just swap doors since you are doing a repaint.

You might check out this thread:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sout...n-guys-ky.html
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I think i'll end up just replacing the entire doors. If I can find any that is. Haha. And that's cool, if you hear of any place I can find some parts like that, or a nosecone locally, let me know. Seeing all of these nice paint jobs on this site is really making want to get this thing painted. I'm not very much of a patient person. Lol