Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Does it drive you nuts when people sit on your car?

Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird(red), 92 Firebird(grn)
Engine: 305 tb, 355 TPI
Transmission: T-5, 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 308 open, 342 posi
Does it drive you nuts when people sit on your car?

I posted this in appearance... Because your butt does not look good on my car.

Recently I lost my GTA of almost 15 years, bought two Firebirds, and sold my daily driver Corolla out of spite.

I haven't really noticed this in public parking (unless I parked near a bar,) but people get out of my office and continue their meetings, or talk on their phone, and sit all over these cars.
Part of my job at front desk is monitoring the security cameras and I'm shocked to see how my cars are a magnet.

One has hardly any paint, the other is bright red, and every single day I drove them to work I have had to shoo people off.

I tried parking in different spaces relative to the office entrance but it doesn't seem to help!

The simple answer is to install a loud alarm... Ride a bike... or work somewhere else. All of which I have considered.

I just wanted to hear some feedback, and maybe learn to chill out a little.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: Does it drive you nuts when people sit on your car?

The front fender/hood is really the perfect height to park a cheek on. If you had a panic button you could press when they did it & then reset from your desk that would be perfect!
Old 06-13-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Positraction

I'm guessing management doesn't care. You could take pictures, install a dash cam to catch the offending parties, force management to act especially if any damage has happened. Their insurance could be made to cover it if it's due to employee negligence and you can prove malfeasance on their part. This could also easily mean the end of your job, however there are laws about retaliation as well. It's a legal mess to be sure, but it's one of those stand up for yourself or live with it kinda things.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:07 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Black Formula KR
Engine: 305 TPI R69/G92
Transmission: Astro A5-Pro 5.0-McCleod
Axle/Gears: US Gear 3.42 Eaton True Trac

It's just people... some care, some don't...
I don't lean or sit on ANY car... mine, otherwise, expensive or rust bucket...
I was at a factory car expo a couple years ago and had to tell my step son (9 at the time) to stop leaning / sitting on the cars a few times...

I remember back in the day when people would kindly say, "don't lean / sit, I wouldn't want you to get your pants dirty".... My friend with a Subaru STI parked far away from the store once... some guy parked next to him, "cuz he hadn't seen an STI" and his girl popped the door open and dung it... WTF?

If it's a car you care about, don't treat it as a daily driver... cuz everyone else will..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Z28 Coupe
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

It drives me nuts when people sit IN my car.

I have to constantly "remind" my daughters not to lean on the car, not slam the door, only use the door handles when they shut the door, not touch the dash and make sure there is nothing on their shoes.
I think they hate the car, or me.
I came out of the store the other day and had this guy leaning on the back bumper while on his phone. As I approached the car, I asked him Please not to lean on the car. Of course, he did not speak English, and there was no response from him. So I took it up a notch. I just yelled, "MOVE!!!" That got his attention, and a few other people in the lot. I must have seemed like an as***le.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

I park at the back of the lot and walk to where I'm going... I generally don't drive the car on normal errands, it only comes out when I go to a meet/show or when I'm just going for a cruise.

People that don't have special cars have no idea the work that goes in to a car that has been restored... Mine looks stock and it isn't apparent the time and money that has gone in to it, and the general population doesn't care.

I don't care if I look like a dick, it's my property and I will protect it... I would not be nice to anyone touching my car.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Targa Top. Full air ride
Engine: 305 5.0 tpi v8
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 gears posi

No body touches my car. The last guy who did..... Well, i can't talk about that. The statute of limitations isn't up yet on that situation. Lol
Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

Some people just don't care. You can't watch it continuously and it sounds like the people in your office fall into this category. The only way I solved my problem with neighbors was to speak directly to them. If you are on a conversational level with the offenders, you might try just speaking with them one-to-one and asking them to stop using your car for a park bench. Never know, they possibly just have never thought of a car as anything but transportation. Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Car: Firebird
Engine: 5737cc

Found 2 chicks taking pics once on my car ....for some reason I let them take the pics.

now if those 2 were men ...
Old 06-13-2015, 12:24 PM

Location: Michigan [Bodacious Member with the Bodacious TA'TAs (Trans Ams)]
Car: 91 Formula - Authentic and REAL
Engine: 5.0 Liter

Originally Posted by JulieGTA1
I posted this in appearance... Because your butt does not look good on my car.

Julie, that's called "not having class or manners or respect for the property of others". If you did the same to them, they'd have a s--- fit.

That's why a lot of classic /restored car owners don't drive their cars on a daily basis and leave them in parking lots. If you watch a lot of them, their cars are ALWAYS within eyesight of the owner, his wife, or their friends at car shows to chase away the thieves and vandals and clumsy, inconsiderate clowns.

Cars like these attract the inconsiderate like magnets. I'd park my brand new daily drivers in the boonies at stores and come out and find someone parked right next to me in the boonies, where there is a wide open space of vacant spaces!

Last edited by MintWS6FORMULA; 06-13-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MintWS6FORMULA
Julie, that's called "not having class or manners or respect for the property of others". If you did the same to them, they'd have a s--- fit.

That's why a lot of classic /restored car owners don't drive their cars on a daily basis and leave them in parking lots. If you watch a lot of them, their cars are ALWAYS within eyesight of the owner, his wife, or their friends at car shows to chase away the thieves and vandals and clumsy, inconsiderate clowns.

Cars like these attract the inconsiderate like magnets. I'd park my brand new daily drivers in the boonies at stores and come out and find someone parked right next to me in the boonies, where there is a wide open space of vacant spaces!
I park my truck in the back of the lot, and yet I have a few dents that I didn't cause. Brand new truck when I got it in 2012. To everyone else it's just a truck, I see it as $40,000 I intend to get use and long life out of.

For some reason, I notice my car attracts more bird poop than anything else on the lot lol.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 82 MSE/89 TTA/89 Formula/99 TA

Most "car" people with respect others vehicles, even if its just your daily driver. I dont drive any of my Birds as daily's, but even at cruise ins/shows you can tell the non respectful types. Especially the ones that let their kids run wild. I have had words with several people about car show etiquette. Worst was the old man that leaned up against my TTA and wanted to "chat". He was old enough to know better.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

I beat one dudes *** for sitting on my cars hood yrs ago.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by luvofjah
If it's a car you care about, don't treat it as a daily driver... cuz everyone else will..

Thanks for the replies guys.
I feel better knowing I'm not the only person who panics every time some one gets too close to the car.

Today I got a ride to work, but I know I gotta do something about this.
A lot of people ride bicycles around here, it was something I considered before getting rid of my daily driver.

Or I could make a funny compilation of all the security cam videos of me running outside to chase people off the hood!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Or I could make a funny compilation of all the security cam videos of me running outside to chase people off the hood!
Does anyone else hear the "Benny Hill Show" music in their head when they read this??
Old 06-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

They do make car alarms with proximity alerts. Beep,beep,beep. Then if there not satisfied with that they can set it off. Mine had a panic button and you could chirp it or set it off.
A car alarm really is you best bet. That and a big sign in the front window saying stay off the car.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 06-14-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 AM

I know, I know. Get an alarm. But it freaks me out even to have an alarm/stereo shop mess with it!

I remember the mess of things the stereo shops did to my GTA.

All the wiring, and they have to remove the door panels and dash panels, and all those little plastic things that can break...
Old 06-14-2015, 03:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

I've always been amazed at Alarm Installation. Especially the high dollar ones with all the bells and whistles. I need a new one installed so I found a installer that runs a small business installing alarms and stereo equipment. I'm going to trust him.
I'm going to remove the door skins myself and any thing else he needs removed.
That's really the only way I will do it.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:22 AM
TGO Supporter

The proximity ones will just **** someone off, sometimes enticing physical damage... And if you're too far from your car (regardless of range via remote or cel), person could be long gone by the time you show up... unless u disable siren and are within range at all times... I do have a Viper Smart Start GPS, which is nice, but expensive and yearly services fee... plus needs cel service to work, so also not 100%.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:08 PM

Don't be afraid of wiring stuff up! Always rewarding.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Car: 89GTA Black, Black cloth
Engine: LB9 26,000 miles
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Australian 9 bolt

YES I hate it its disrespectful. once I had to set the girlfriend now wife straight NO FEET ON DASH hate that too.. Brought the car to work for a coworker too see. everyone around was respcteful except a porter he nears the car i go on alert and before i got the words out of my mouth he swipts the front hood with a starched out scratchy towels they use to dry other cars with. I lit him up (think he peed a little) thank god just waxed it so no permanant damage..
Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 PM

Uggh the "no feet on the dash" thing drives me nuts, my wife does that in my MR2, and unlike our third gens, there IS no aftermarket replacement available for those cars! It's bad enough the giant windshield bakes the dash and makes it so even looking at it wrong causes cracks, but your feet on it certainly don't help!

My dad is also annoying about using the headlight buckets on my '88 IROC-Z as seats for his ancient butt. I have to kick him off of it at least once a week, to which he replies "it's just an old car".
Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA

I hate the "It's just an old car" response. My brother once thought I'd let him eat in my GTA and was pissed at me when I told him his food wasn't going anywhere near it. I've found non car people LOVE to touch anything shinny. Paint or polished aluminum, non car people seem to have to slide their finger on it. With people sitting on the car the panic button does work. It's hard to have a conversation when there's a horn/alarm constantly blaring a couple feet away.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM

absolutly NO eating,drinking,farting,sneezing,spitting,throwingup,bleeding,dying,coughing,bodyily fluids of any kind, touching radio,a/c,window buttons or complaining in any of my rides... you CAN get in sit down shut up and hold on
Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 PM

I wanna start keeping some 80 grit sandpaper in my back pocket, so when I tell some jerk to get off my car and he inevitably replies "I'm not hurting it" I can pull it out and rub it against his face screaming "OH REALLY?? THIS IS WHAT YOUR BUTT IS DOING TO MY PAINT!!"...riiiiight before I get my *** beat senseless.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mk1431
absolutly NO eating,drinking,farting,sneezing,spitting,throwingup,bleeding,dying,coughing,bodyily fluids of any kind, touching radio,a/c,window buttons or complaining in any of my rides... you CAN get in sit down shut up and hold on
Sounds like my list lol. Except I did put cup holders in the car so now I have no excuse as to why drinks aren't allowed... But it's typically me or the gf in the car and she knows all of the rules.
I give people the quick run down before they get in, first rule is to NEVER touch the dash and to watch the corner of it getting in, and to use the exterior door handle to push on the door when closing it when we get out. No watches on the wrist if you're the kind of guy that thinks he's a monkey with the arm hanging out the side... I have a buddy that likes big blinging watches, he couldn't understand why I told him to take it off when he had his arm hanging outside the car.

I HATE seeing feet on the dash in any vehicle. Nevermind the damage it can cause to the dash (she knows to not ever touch the dash) but in an accident it can mess people legs/feet/ankles up pretty good even if an airbag doesn't go off.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Feet on dash of thirdgen is kinda hard to pull off...
But my wife does it in my Accord....
And it drives me crazy....

In the sexy, kinda, she's gorgeous way...
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88, 89 & 91 GTA
Engine: 355 Super Ram/350
Transmission: TH-375/700R4
Axle/Gears: Currie Ford 9"/3.70

Tell'em to get the F##K OFF of it. Verbatim.

No need to be polite.

Stand up for yourself/property.

I'm an easy going guy but that is the one thing that really p####s me off is disrespecting someone's ride-daily driver or show car.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:44 PM

they'll find a way believe me... foot marks on dash and windshield
Old 06-14-2015, 09:05 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 / 2010 Camaro LT
Engine: Gen IV 454 / LT1 3.6
Transmission: TH400 / 6L50
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD / 3.27

Does it drive anyone else nuts when someone closes your door by the window?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:11 PM

i dont know nobody wants to ride with me cant imagine why?? LOL

Last edited by mk1431; 06-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:27 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 / 2010 Camaro LT
Engine: Gen IV 454 / LT1 3.6
Transmission: TH400 / 6L50
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD / 3.27

i dont know nobody wants to ride with me cant imagine why?? LOL

Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 PM

Setting their drinks on the roof/T-tops (and leaving condensation rings!!)
Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1983Chimaera
Setting their drinks on the roof/T-tops (and leaving condensation rings!!)
or hoods or rear decklids
Old 06-15-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by berlinetta1983
Or when they lean on the door when it's open.

One time, my GTA stopped in the road, and the people who helped me push it out of the way, pushed it from that rear deck lid, and broke it.

Another time on a cruise, a friend's daughter convinced me to let her sit on the door sill and hang out the window.
She only weighed like 90 lbs and the door sill looked sturdy, but now I know it isn't.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Here's a fun idea (especially since you can see it on camera).

some of these: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

plus some WEAK magnets (think like the little business card sized ones that banks give away or something)

and finally some 2 sided tape.

stick 'em all over the nose, etc, the magnets won't damage anything, and people will still clear....although you may be thought of as a little crazy lol
Old 06-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Only allowed if they are upside down!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: SuperRam 350
Transmission: Pro Built S/S TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

This is why I park in Siberia and walk the extra distance at malls, grocery stores, work parking lots, etc. I consider it free exercise and much less chance of idiots touching my car.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM

i just keep mine in garage and in eyesight when not
Old 06-15-2015, 09:19 PM

Car: 91 Z28 Coupe
Axle/Gears: 2.73

We've all seen Sally Field in "Smokey And The Bandit"... Wait... Wrong Gen. But, you get the idea
Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Reid Fleming
This is why I park in Siberia and walk the extra distance at malls, grocery stores, work parking lots, etc. I consider it free exercise and much less chance of idiots touching my car.
I hear that, however, it's not fool proof. Some @sshole will still find a way to park on top of you.

i just keep mine in garage and in eyesight when not
That's so me! I've gotten so I won't leave any of my GTAs without being able to see them. Paranoid? Sure, but I've spent to many years keeping mine nice to have some dipsh!t screw it up in a matter of seconds.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
stick 'em all over the nose, etc, the magnets won't damage anything, and people will still clear....although you may be thought of as a little crazy lol
That's pretty funny. Of course I'd be the first one to poke myself with them!

Today I thought, maybe pasting a photo of my cranky face, onto a cardboard cutout, in the drivers seat.

Or get an "angry eyes" sun shade.
Amazon.com: mAuto 3054 'Angry Eyes' Car Sun Shade: Automotive Amazon.com: mAuto 3054 'Angry Eyes' Car Sun Shade: Automotive
Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stauf
We've all seen Sally Field in "Smokey And The Bandit"... Wait... Wrong Gen. But, you get the idea
lol i would have had an aneurysm
Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 86TA355SR
I hear that, however, it's not fool proof. Some @sshole will still find a way to park on top of you.

That's so me! I've gotten so I won't leave any of my GTAs without being able to see them. Paranoid? Sure, but I've spent to many years keeping mine nice to have some dipsh!t screw it up in a matter of seconds.
seems to me the further out you park the more of a piece of s??t finds you
Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Lots of truth to that!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Parking far is a good bet... but again, further from seeing it...

Regardless of where you park, don't park like an *** clown... That's open call for stuff to happen to your car...

I love this pic...

Name:  DP_zpsge1ih1xl.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  80.7 KB
Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 PM

When I lived at these apartments I paid for a covered space for my Z/28. The spaces were narrow, and it was a middle out of four with a support pole next to me. No one paid for the end space, so I parked as close to the line on that side as possible without touching it (touching the line was considered a towable offence). Even still, my neighbors would park as far over towards me as possible with their little POS, even though no one paid for the end spot on their side either and they had all the room in the world.

Last edited by 1983Chimaera; 06-16-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM
TGO Supporter

Some people just like to be close to things... my ex, she would be driving, 3 lane road... less than a car length behind the 1 car on the road... That drove me nuts... and to my current wife
Old 06-16-2015, 05:26 PM

I hate when you're the only car on a stretch of multilane road, until some guy from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back finally catches up to you, slows to match your speed, and sits in your blind spot. It's like they're insecure and only happy if they have someone to sit next to on the road to make them feel safe. Speeding up or slowing down generally doesn't shake them, either.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 firebird GTA
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

I go to a local car meet every weekend where hundreds of people show up. I have to yell at 10-15 people every night to get the **** off. The real 'car' guys know not to sit on it, but all their friends that tag along think it's a park bench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does it drive you nuts when people sit on your car?