Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: 87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.

Originally Posted by blunierdr
Awesome, thats kinda the feedback I have been hearing from others as well.
Cold, I LOVE. I have never actually been "cold" When it comes to the heat, anything over 55 is too hot so I needed to make a different. I was tired of getting into an oven after work every day the sun was out. The one guy at the tinting place was like " this isn't going to make the interior any less hot", drastic difference. You won't be disappointed, especially with the black interior and with the black exterior it is going to look a lot better too
Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Vortec Stealth Rammed L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Got the windows done this weekend. I went with 20% on all 3 windows (hatch and sides) and am extremely happy with how they turned out. I know pictures make it hard to see exactly how dark the windows are so I took a bunch of pictures at different angles so you can hopefully get the idea. With the black interior the windows look pretty dark from the outside, but from inside they really don't seem very dark at all. Exactly what I was wanting.

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-dmudidi.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-4red2vy.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-rmxc3xp.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-6cgvgis.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-gkn0wwf.jpg
Old 05-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

Perfect! I’ve always been a 15 or 20 fan all around. Matching is key.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Really nice car! Good job
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM

Yesterday I finished up a project I have been playing around with for a while. A few weeks ago I had mocked up a cold air intake box for my car with some plastic sheeting that was laying around and I was actually fairly happy with the way it turned out. My buddy had offered to help me use a piece of stainless for the finished product instead of plastic, and so yesterday we took all the dimensions and got it cut and bent the piece. I was worried about the stainless being really heavy but I was pleasantly surprised with how light the piece ended up being. I got it home and wrapped the outside of the stainless with heat reflective tape and ran rubber strips along the top and underneath where the intake tube rests. Put it all together and I am happy with how it turned out. I wasn't looking for anything exotic, just a divider essentially to try to keep most of the hot air from the engine compartment away from the air filter. I think this should do the trick nicely. Let me know what you guys think!

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-j0n2cv7.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-oc4wbha.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-pbvnt5o.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-eqn9yf3.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-rgkyyvt.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-u2orfkk.jpg

87 Trans Am GTA "re-rebuild" thread. ***Pic Heavy*** Vortec Stealth Rammed.-9rmcwmv.jpg
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L

Nice work! I like.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z (yellow)
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MXO
Axle/Gears: GU6, G80, J65

Beautiful car! Hopefully I'll see you at the next cars & coffee...
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Double
Beautiful car! Hopefully I'll see you at the next cars & coffee...
I plan on being there! I usually park up near the front where the coffee is next to the Everest Lifted Trucks area (since that's where I work).
Old 05-29-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z (yellow)
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MXO
Axle/Gears: GU6, G80, J65

I plan on being there! I usually park up near the front where the coffee is next to the Everest Lifted Trucks area (since that's where I work).
Sounds good...turns out you're good friends with my nephew, D.Wool.
Congrats on the show this past weekend too!
Old 07-03-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI professionally built

Beautiful car! I'm looking to build a custom air intake like your earlier images showed. Can you tell me where you got the parts (especially the throttle body coupler). Hope to see it in person one day..Once again, awesome build.

Bogey
Old 07-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bogey
Beautiful car! I'm looking to build a custom air intake like your earlier images showed. Can you tell me where you got the parts (especially the throttle body coupler). Hope to see it in person one day..Once again, awesome build.

Bogey

Hey thanks man, I purchased all the pieces to put together the intake I made at silicone intakes website. They have reducers and couplers and everything else to make intake/turbo/intercooler piping. You should be able to find everything you need there. The air filter I have is from AFE Power. It's a custom size but you can buy or build any size you want on their site.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 653 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Drag Car
Engine: 383 on Ethanol
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Currie 9 inch

WOW.....AWESOME CAR MAN!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:58 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI professionally built

Hey thanks man, I purchased all the pieces to put together the intake I made at silicone intakes website. They have reducers and couplers and everything else to make intake/turbo/intercooler piping. You should be able to find everything you need there. The air filter I have is from AFE Power. It's a custom size but you can buy or build any size you want on their site.
Thanks for the info. The site is exactly what I was looking for...
thanks
Old 07-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 Vin 8 L98
Transmission: R-700 Auto
Axle/Gears: factory

Great looking car and kudos for sticking doing it right. I had a question about your wheels and tires combinations. You had 17" and then went to 18" rims. I still have the stock 16x8" wheels that came on my '87 Formula 350. It's obvious that the wheels/tires do not fill up the wheel openings and look pretty small. My question is: do you have any issues with the tires rubbing on the inner or outer fender wells or fender lips? Especially when turning the front wheels? I have looked at the clearance with the stock 16x8 wheels and tires and it doesn't seem like there is much room anywhere to put bigger diameter wheels and wider tires on it. I know some guys tub out the inner wheel wells and cut/roll the fender lips, but I don't want to mess with any of that. I just want to get a better look with a little bigger wheels and tires without any interference problems. Just want to make sure before I spend a lot of cash on tires and wheels that might rub in different places. Also, the front (not rear) will be lowered 1" using new Eibach springs.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by nortron
Great looking car and kudos for sticking doing it right. I had a question about your wheels and tires combinations. You had 17" and then went to 18" rims. I still have the stock 16x8" wheels that came on my '87 Formula 350. It's obvious that the wheels/tires do not fill up the wheel openings and look pretty small. My question is: do you have any issues with the tires rubbing on the inner or outer fender wells or fender lips? Especially when turning the front wheels? I have looked at the clearance with the stock 16x8 wheels and tires and it doesn't seem like there is much room anywhere to put bigger diameter wheels and wider tires on it. I know some guys tub out the inner wheel wells and cut/roll the fender lips, but I don't want to mess with any of that. I just want to get a better look with a little bigger wheels and tires without any interference problems. Just want to make sure before I spend a lot of cash on tires and wheels that might rub in different places. Also, the front (not rear) will be lowered 1" using new Eibach springs.
When I went from 16's to 17's, and then 17's to 18's, the tire's overall diameter did not ever change, therefore the clearance did not change when turning. The tires on the rear now are 275-40R18's so those are slightly taller than stock but they still fit without any modifications. The fronts are 245/40R18 which puts them at the same height as factory on the front. Also note that my car is significantly lower than factory. I would guess every bit of 2-3 inches lower in the front, although I'm not entirely sure since it has been adjusted so many times. Now wheel width and offset makes a big difference as well but since all that has been covered ad nauseam on other threads I would just highly recommend going to the wheels and tires part of this forum and search and read. There is more information there than you could ever possibly need. Good luck!

Last edited by blunierdr; 07-23-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7 Vin 8 L98
Transmission: R-700 Auto
Axle/Gears: factory

Thanks for getting back. I did look at the Wheels and Tires Forum and there seems to be a lot of posts for bigger tires and rims but nobody really says if they have any fitment or rubbing issues that I can tell. I know the Firehawk 3rd gen edition went to 17x9 rims and tires, but after reading the write-up on the car, it really doesn't say if they modified the wheel wells/fender lips or not. I'll keep researching and thanks again for your reply. Best of luck on your cool bird. Sometime those articles don't really give the details of what they did to modify the sheet metal, etc.

Last edited by nortron; 07-23-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Banned

Wow!! What a beautiful car you have created! I wish I lived a little closer to come see it in person. Beautiful work! I'm still getting the engine part closer to the way I want, let alone touch the body or tint the windows yet. I hope my IROC turns out even close to as nice as yours did. What did you do with the Torq Thrust wheels?? I might entertain the thought of buying them off of you if they're for sale.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing that would improve your car.... take those hideous stickers off the underside of the hood.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Go Blue
Wow!! What a beautiful car you have created! I wish I lived a little closer to come see it in person. Beautiful work! I'm still getting the engine part closer to the way I want, let alone touch the body or tint the windows yet. I hope my IROC turns out even close to as nice as yours did. What did you do with the Torq Thrust wheels?? I might entertain the thought of buying them off of you if they're for sale.

Hey thanks, unfortunately the old Torq Thrusts got sold very soon after the new wheels got installed otherwise I would be talking you into buying them now!

Originally Posted by TireSmokin'
The only thing that would improve your car.... take those hideous stickers off the underside of the hood.

The stickers under the hood are kind of a love/hate thing. Some people love them, other people hate them. Me personally, I love how much some people hate them
Old 08-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z

Man gorgeous car, very well done, I'm subscribing for future changes.

Mike
Old 08-21-2018, 04:32 PM
Banned

"Hey thanks, unfortunately the old Torq Thrusts got sold very soon after the new wheels got installed otherwise I would be talking you into buying them now!"

LOL. Just be very careful! I'm fragile at my age and you're likely to bruise my arm while you're twisting it.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1987 TA GTA, 1987 IROC 1988 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi/305 tpi/350 tbi
Transmission: All have 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3:73's

Car is looking awesome. I saw it at a cars and coffee event! Did you buy that Stealth ram for vortec heads before they were discontinued?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by DD9TransAmGTA
Car is looking awesome. I saw it at a cars and coffee event! Did you buy that Stealth ram for vortec heads before they were discontinued?
Hey thanks! Yes I did actually. I had my parts guy check a bunch of distributors and there was literally 1 left in the entire country (as far as electronic records go) and so I quick snatched it up. I was pumped to get my hands on it.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1987 TA GTA, 1987 IROC 1988 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi/305 tpi/350 tbi
Transmission: All have 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3:73's

Hey thanks! Yes I did actually. I had my parts guy check a bunch of distributors and there was literally 1 left in the entire country (as far as electronic records go) and so I quick snatched it up. I was pumped to get my hands on it.
That's pure luck! I'm having a tough time finding one so far. Holley offers one for the vortec if you buy the whole holley fuel system but they dont offer just the vortec intake and plenum. Doesnt make sense lol. What's your opinion on that setup vs the TPI stuff? You probably mentioned it but what injectors are you running also? I have a comp xr269hr cam in my currently and will be keeping that in my heads/Intake swap. If I could crack a 12.9 I'd be happy with it
Old 07-25-2020, 05:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 87 Formula 350,11.65@122
Engine: 383,AFR Comp 195,XFI280,SRam/Mram
Transmission: T-56 Magnum-F
Axle/Gears: DANA 44 with 3.92

I think the car looks GREAT! Thanks for the great pictures, I'm considering the Riddler 650's in black for my White Formula.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 FORMULA
Engine: ZZ4 + LT4 HT CAM 430HP
Transmission: 700-R4 COMING T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.56's (COMING)

Got apart number for those fuel rails? I plan on getting a stealthram for the formula but don't need the fuel reg as i already have one, plus i don't feel like having to cut the fuel rail and tap a new 6am hole so the holley rails or at least the longer side is a no for me. I can build my own crossover out of copper pipe and paint it..