Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Apology to Dave Linson

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Apology to Dave Linson

I don't want to further muddy any of the threads revolving around the June Car of the month but I do want to apologize to Dave publicly for having called him out in that manner.

Originally Posted by Linson
I apologize for not paying closer attention, and mentioning this earlier.

KMK454, a couple of your photos appear to be significantly photo-edited. Use of photo-edited pictures for COTM purposes is prohibited. A simple "auto-enhance" I think is okay. And of course, I'll allow for the fact that light and shadow sometimes do weird things that results in an interesting and unusual picture. But the pictures used for COTM have to be accurate representations of the vehicle.

So there is no misunderstanding, please note that I am a big fan of your B4C, and also a fan of your photography. But I have to be consistent on this issue. I'd have to say I dropped the ball by not catching it during this month's contest. And had you won, it may have rightfully stirred up controversy.

Dave
To be clear, I think PurelyPMD is off-base on me taking issue with a photo that was submitted by him, but also waaayyy off base on there being some sort of ulterior motive behind me singling him out...like I was in cahoots with one or more of the other members, or was looking to sabotage his car for some reason.
It wasn't sabotage that was my concern but I did believe there were more involved than just yourself in the discussion. Specifically your first and last statements in the quote above lead me to that - "not paying closer attention~may have rightfully stirred up controversy." Those two phrases, as brackets around your other comments immediately gave me the sense that someone had come to you and cried that Kurts pictures were photo shopped and he was therefor cheating - and further that you needed to say something about it.

There are far too many inflated egos in this hobby and the infighting that results is, like I said, caustic & childish. It runs rampant here on the board but isn't limited to third gens - it happens on every board that I've seen and often at car shows too. Trash talk, critical eyes, negative testimony regarding options, fit & finish don't make us smarter, better or our cars more valuable, they bring us ALL down as a group.

Kurt is far and above a better photographer than I. The picture you were most concerned about in the other thread - if I had taken it - would have been a completely different image - but also would have lacked the emotional power that his did. Full disclosure - Kurt is a friend of mine, and like others I've come to know here on the board, I talk or text with him on an almost daily basis. I know from our conversation & from following him on Instagram that the images he posts are out of his love of the cars and the enjoyment he gets from them - not only of his own cars but those of others he posts. Never have I felt they were posted out of competition or one-upsmanship in a braggadocios (did I just use that word?) way and that any enhancements made were done to unfairly depict the car he owns.

Also understand that the "Voting Thread" was closed - not to shut you out and deny you an opportunity to respond - but simply because the voting had ended, and I always close the "Voting Thread"...AND BOOM no I do not. I was ****ing confused. ****! I was about to say I always close the Voting Thread, but its the damned "Nomination Thread" that I always close at the end. I swear, I didn't realize it until I was writing it - just now!

Dude...fact is, I havn't been to work in three days because I'm home with the summer flu - brought on by allergies. I literally had to drag my *** down to my computer yesterday (in a NyQuil induced fog) and put together the winner thread, so closing the Voting Thread was an auto-pilot error - I in no way meant to talk **** and then slam the door.
The perspective & apology above changed my view of the cascading events which resulted in my post.

The COTM project you take on is a monumental ongoing effort Dave & I applaud you for that. It is a recognized and I would have to say coveted award that gets noted when owners go to sell or show their cars, here and in other venues. Not having met you or knowing you personally gave me a one-sided view of what was going on & I apologize for my reaction.

You should know that I choose my words carefully and that even in haste will make my message known. I do however read with that same intention and will tend to trust my gut on what I have read....not having the context or background above and in what you wrote in the other thread lead me to a wrong conclusion in this case. I would caution though that our words carry weight - that our positions here on the board, post counts and the way in which we say things carry a message that goes beyond the words we actually use....and that we should be mindful of that at all times.

I appreciate you standing up, taking your hits, explaining the events which got us here and apologizing for them - publicly & without hiding behind PM's & e-mails....I will do the same. I was wrong about the events, apologize for my comments that mis-characterized you and the situation and hope that you will accept them as they are meant. I hope too that some day we may meet and become friends - your passion for the cars, the people and the hobby are obvious & I applaud your work.

Best,

Chris
Old 06-03-2017, 03:42 PM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
Re: Apology to Dave Linson

Cool, man. We. are. good.
I appreciate you being a stand up guy.

I also appreciate you taking notice of my passion for the cars and the people here. I act like it doesn't mean anything when people appreciate the effort I put in, but it does.

Having said that, we might have to shut this thread down, or we could have a full on Love Fest on our hands.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Apology to Dave Linson

Nah not a love fest, sounds like two stand up men giving a darn good example of how to be Men.