Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

People in Texas can't deal with all this ice!!!!how do you deal with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
People in Texas can't deal with all this ice!!!!how do you deal with it?

Man I guess the best way to get ice off your windshield is hot water and a squege or how ever you spell it. That ice is no joke man. I drove about 15 mph to work today and at 7 in the morning I get here my Dad leaves this messege on my voice mail telling be my brother ran a stop sign while skiding across the road and also happen to clip a car. The cops came and put him in jail for a warrent. WTF do you need to be driveing that fast for on the ice anyway.

>how fast do you drive on the ice when in you ride ?
>how do you go about getting ice off you windshield?
Old 03-02-2002, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

BTW when I got to work I had some fun in the wide open parking lot. Pulling bad *** fishtails on the ice!!! Yeah!! only get to do that one or two times on the ice here.
Old 03-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Well, it wasn't ice, but last night we had some bad snow. I went to the movies with my girlfriend, and when we got out, it was snowing pretty heavily. I cleaned the snow off the car, but soon had more on the back window and pulled into an unplowed empty parking lot to clean it off. Then had to turn around, to I just gunned it and cut the wheels and did a perfect 180. Then I had to drive all the way home at about 25 MPH. After I dropped her off, I saw a Mustang spin out and almost run into the curb. A couple times I just gunned it for fun and slid sideways (no other cars were on the road, so I wasn't putting anyone else in danger.) I'm glad I fixed my fogs last week, cause I had to drive with just the fogs on cause if I put the headlights on, it just hits all the snow and basically blinds me. As for what I do about ice on the windshield, I use an icescraper.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:36 PM

>

Try working in it!!! I work at Wal-Mart in Tyler (east texas) as a cartpusher (gather all of the buggies off the lot). It got flippin COLD today! Owell. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Wes
Old 03-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Banned

boo hoo..try living here where it can snow more than 3 feet in a day. try slowing down when u drive..you'll live thru it.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
here is how i cope with nasty weather here in michigan.

this is my winter beater

'99 GMC Yukon Denali 4x4
5.7liter vortec
two-tone grey leather interior
bose stereo system w/6 disc changer

if your gonna go out in bad weather might as well be comfy

later
larry
Old 03-02-2002, 09:25 PM

Car: 87' Firebird
Engine: 2.8L
Transmission: Standard
i drive a FWD honda accord in the winter w/ snow tires so i dont normally have any trouble in the winter at all, last winter i drove my bird in the winter and it was icy, i went to make a turn and guess what .. i just kept going straight.. right into a guard rail. after that i got studded snow tires for all 4 wheels and i put 120 pounds (2 pellet bags) in my trunk for more traction, i still drove pretty slow prob 45 in 55 when it was a bit icy
Old 03-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Re: >

Originally posted by Wes B.
Try working in it!!! I work at Wal-Mart in Tyler (east texas) as a cartpusher (gather all of the buggies off the lot). It got flippin COLD today! Owell. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Wes
I worked at Wally World too, 4 yrs this April but I left for college this year, I only pushed carts a couple of times when it was like 90* outside. Why don't people stop being so darn lazy and return the carts. And we wonder why we're the fattest nation.
I would never drive my car in the ice. I don't even drive it in the snow, just not safe, but if I had to for some reason, slower is better, safer, and cheaper.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MetalliCamaroRS
Well, it wasn't ice, but last night we had some bad snow. I went to the movies with my girlfriend, and when we got out, it was snowing pretty heavily. I cleaned the snow off the car, but soon had more on the back window and pulled into an unplowed empty parking lot to clean it off. Then had to turn around, to I just gunned it and cut the wheels and did a perfect 180. Then I had to drive all the way home at about 25 MPH. After I dropped her off, I saw a Mustang spin out and almost run into the curb. A couple times I just gunned it for fun and slid sideways (no other cars were on the road, so I wasn't putting anyone else in danger.) I'm glad I fixed my fogs last week, cause I had to drive with just the fogs on cause if I put the headlights on, it just hits all the snow and basically blinds me. As for what I do about ice on the windshield, I use an icescraper.
Icescraper huh ? I Tried that I wasnt working for me, that hot water did the trick though. Man I think I'm going to miss this snow I mean pulling fishtails and 180s with ease (btw I'm still stock here) **** I guesss I have to wait till next year cause this **** doesn't last here in Texas. It will probably be 50 the next day. Well **** send me some more snow !!!
Old 03-02-2002, 10:20 PM

well for me its a little easy here. (i live in colorado) and there is snow outside right as we speak but anyone who wants it take the white sh^t cause iam tired of it and in my car its really is i just do drive it in the snow i would be lucky to get two house down from where i live (joys of shift kits and higher stalls) so i drive my sunbird around its front wheel drive but hey if i want to spin just let off the gas and pull the e brake :sillylol:
Old 03-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

First thing is first - you dont DRIVE on ice, you slide on it. You cannot accelerate, nor can you stop or turn (well, not with out EXTREME carefulness). When it snows, andthing more than idle sends me spinning. So I punch it! (I like to slide!). Ice on yer windshield? scrape it off! turn car on, turn defroster on all the way, scrape ice off, let car warm up. by the time the car has warmed up, the ice will be gone...
Old 03-04-2002, 03:57 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
How do I deal with snow in Ohio... I moved to Florida as afr as getting ice off your windshield you can get a couple of different products that go in your window washer fluid tank. Heat by prestone and Rain-x makes a product that also works.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I park my car in the garage, haha

but when I'm at a girls house late I just turn on the defrost and wait, its better to let the car warm up anyways