Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Replacing airbag steering wheel

Old 01-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing airbag steering wheel

Im not sure if this in the right area, but I did a search on steering wheels, and what came up, were in the "parts for sale"board.

Im sure someone can help me out. I just bought a beautiful aftermarket steering wheel, to replace the ugly airbag wheel in my 92 bird.

I understand the conversion is straight forward, but what I would like to know is, after I disconnect the battery, and the yellow SRS wire, and change wheels, will my SRS light remain on? And if it does what can be done to turn it off? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Yes, the light will stay on.

I ended up just removing the bulb in the cluster for the light when I replaced my hideous looking air bag wheel.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Originally posted by MNformula350
Yes, the light will stay on.

I ended up just removing the bulb in the cluster for the light when I replaced my hideous looking air bag wheel.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys, then out comes the bulb. I was hoping there was a wire I could snip, but pulling the bulb shouldnt be too hard.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by brutalform
Thanks guys, then out comes the bulb. I was hoping there was a wire I could snip, but pulling the bulb shouldnt be too hard.
there is a wire you can snip.
however i only have the pinout for the camaros...

if your cluster is anything like a camaros in design, theres a film circut on the back, you can visually trace it back to the connector, find the wire, and snip it.

you can then hook that wire upto something useful, like a shiftlight, warning light, ect.... or just tape it off.

what i do everytime i cut or otherwise modify the electrical system like that, is make a GOOD set of notes on exactly what was done, and then tape them behind the dash. on my camaro, its behind the gauge cluster...
my notes are probly longer then yours right now (with the LS1 swap and all).. but its best to start when you start doing it, rather then waiting and trying to remember everything.

btw, once the airbag is out, look under the center console, and up under the radiator/nose area.. there are airbag sensors there, and they weigh a little over a pound each... since they are now useless, save some weight
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Good advice MrDude_1. Thanks. I will remove them. I was refering to my Helms manual, for proper disarming procedures, and, found out where the arming, and discriminating sensors were. I was on the same page as you. Now, knowing those little things have some weight, they are coming out as well.

Last edited by brutalform; 01-04-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrDude_1
[B]there is a wire you can snip.

I did a search, and back in 2003, you were given the schematic diagram for this by another member. IIRC, it was a pink/blk wire. In my Helms manual, it appears that the wire color is the same for Camaros, as well as Firebirds. just thought I would mention this.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
there is a wire you can snip.

if your cluster is anything like a camaros in design, theres a film circut on the back, you can visually trace it back to the connector, find the wire, and snip it.

you can then hook that wire upto something useful, like a shiftlight, warning light, ect.... or just tape it off.

what i do everytime i cut or otherwise modify the electrical system like that, is make a GOOD set of notes on exactly what was done, and then tape them behind the dash. on my camaro, its behind the gauge cluster...
my notes are probly longer then yours right now (with the LS1 swap and all).. but its best to start when you start doing it, rather then waiting and trying to remember everything.

btw, once the airbag is out, look under the center console, and up under the radiator/nose area.. there are airbag sensors there, and they weigh a little over a pound each... since they are now useless, save some weight

After finding the D.E.R.M., I snipped the pink and black wire, and the light went out.

Does anyone know if I still need the D.E.R.M. at all now since there is no more SIR?

I would like to remove that as well as the sensors, if I can.