Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

DIY Fiberglass bodyparts......

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Fiberglass bodyparts......

Did a search on the topic and all I came up with is WHERE to buy already made products.

As of late, I've noticed alot of young guys making molds and such for some pretty wild sub boxs. This got me thinking, could you do the same to make a FB front fender or wild cowl hood using the old body part as the mold?

I plan on painting my 'Bird in the spring, but I have a few dents and dings I need to repair. Since the fenders will be off anyways, I thought wouldn't it be fun to give this a shot? I know it will be sanding intensive, but after doing the bodywork and paint on a few cars, I figured why not give it a shot right? I personally would rather make parts, then give a company my money.

So has anyone done this? To all you sub box builders.....any tips and tricks?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:16 AM

Car: 1989 Camaro, 2008 600RR
Engine: 311
Transmission: T-10
Axle/Gears: 02 SS Rear with 3.23 Gears
if you understand mold casting, sure. if you're going to invest all that time to cast molds, i would produce carbon fiber parts, but thats just me. go for it definantly. and good luck to you
Old 01-21-2004, 09:08 AM

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: t5
how do you plan on makeing the fender ? molding your old one and then making the fender from the mold that you made? or just trying to make one from scratch ?

i think htat it is going to be hard to get it to look right, or get all of the mounting parts to look right/be right and functional.

i am currently working on a fiberglass sub box for my firebird, and it isnt exactly hard, but it is just alot of work, but i dont have any idea how much work it would be for a fender.

i would look for a good fender in the junk yard, so if you somehow end up wrecking the fender doing teh fiberglass you don't wreck the one that goes to the car, if it comes out good then that would be awsome.

i believe if you use acetone on the part that you are molding, when teh glass dryes it should come right off, i can't think of the word i am looking for right now, but you have to coat whatever you are molding with something that repels the fiberglass, so when it is dried you can just take it off and have a smooth mold.

i would practice smaller pieces first, with the glass, so that you can get a feel for what you can do with it and then go from there.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
www.aircraftspruce.com
www.uscomposites.com

both for supplies, spruce for a book(S) that will tell you how to do it.