Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Issue with aftermarket hoods

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 383 Stoker
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Detroit Locker Posi
Issue with aftermarket hoods

I need some help with aftermarket hoods. I purchased a hood from Andy's Auto Sport:

http://www.andysautosport.com/chevro...r00131942.html

After receiving this hood the body shop has had nothing but problems. When mounted the hood is almost 2" too short in meeting up with the backside of the fenders in front of the windshield. The hood actually rests on the passenger side windshield wiper making them unusable. The center line is 1-1/2" to the passenger side, Which can be sanded down and fixed but will lose even more length off the fenders. When mounted is also has and excessive gap on the drivers side up and down the fender. They said they could build it up with fiberglass but would be looking at 8-10 hours of fab work just to get it looking right before they even sand, primer and paint. Now after spending $500 on this with shipping, I'll be damned if I'm going to spend even more to get a hood right that I already paid for. Anyways, I really like this hood being it's got the cowl and induction look together. I called Extreme Dimensions in regards to there hood product and will say they have been very helpful and actually have act concerned. They took several measurments of there other molded hoods for our camaro's and told me they all measure similar so are concerned if they ship me another I will have the same issues. They are going to give me a refund. Has anyone dealt with Extreme Dimension hoods? Does any of there third gen styles actually fit? I noticed Hawk's Third Gen also has the same hood:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...blockhood.aspx

Looking at there hood selection looks like they carry the exact same styles as Extreme Dimensions makes, I'm concerned there hoods are the same pieces of junk with a even bigger price tag. Has anyone ever used a Hawks Third Gen fiberglass hood? Had problems?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look? I really don't want to spend more then the $500 I have invested in hood I just purchased once they refund my money. I really don't care for just a steel cowl hood and would like some form of induction look. After getting this fiberglass hood, I'm just left very concerned now with spending more money on a fiberglass hood to possibly be stuck with the same issues.

Please help....
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Re: Issue with aftermarket hoods

I think Cervini's are probably one of the higher end, more "accurate" hoods. Look into those. By far the best looking cowl hoods around in my opinion.