Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Reputable body / restoration shop near Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: currently a 91 G92.
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner WC 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Reputable body / restoration shop near Minneapolis

I was wondering if anyone in the third gen community could help me out. I am looking for a body shop that does good and thorough work in the Minneapolis area. I am looking to have them finish my project 91 firebird formula.
The car has no rust and major body damage, other than a slightly dented rocker panel under the passenger side, right where the fender attaches, due to improper jacking.
However, the white paint on it is pealing off badly. I want to have it sanded down to bear metal, epoxy primed and painted with a two stage bc/cc paint system, machine gray on the bottom, arctic white on top.
I was planning on doing everything my self, unfortunately I will no longer have the time to do that as I have accepted a new job in the twin cities area.
I have about $5500 to complete the project. Welding a set, or two of sfcs would be a part of it.
I am also looking for some suggestions on what I might expect in terms of cost for the work to be completed. Right now the car is partially disassembled, the hood is off, front bumper lights, weather stripping. Was planning on taking it apart, painting, and putting it back together.
The car other than that runs and drives great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The car was originally an Arizona car, thus there is not rust on it what so ever.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Car: 1969 firebird, 1986 Trans Am,
Engine: 461,305TB
Transmission: T-10,700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.55,2.73
Re: Reputable body / restoration shop near Minneapolis

Please PM me, I may have some #'s for you. I am in a street machine club as well as the Pontiac club here in town.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

The best body shop that I worked with was Modern Auto Body on 85th Ave in Brooklyn Park. I have had many cars painted by them and they used to do a fantastic job. Tell Dave and Mike I sent you. Prior to using them, I had gone to 3 other shops for work and was disappointed in their quality.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:23 Torsen 4th gen rear

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
The best body shop that I worked with was Modern Auto Body on 85th Ave in Brooklyn Park. I have had many cars painted by them and they used to do a fantastic job. Tell Dave and Mike I sent you. Prior to using them, I had gone to 3 other shops for work and was disappointed in their quality.
Funny I had a car painted there too once. Did a nice job, not the cheapest in town but they do good work it seems
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS, 84 2.8 5speed
Engine: 305 5.0L
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed

modern autobody tried to charge me 4-6k for a black paintjob lol. Car still isn't painted yet lol ill do it myself.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Thank you for the suggestion. I will talk to them when I get there and take some detailed pictures of the car so that they have an idea of what they would be working with. It's good to be referred to by someone that has done work with them and that they know.

Thanks again
Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jk_Under
modern autobody tried to charge me 4-6k for a black paintjob lol. Car still isn't painted yet lol ill do it myself.
I was going to do the work myself and have mostly everything I need, paint guns, a good compressor, moisture separator etc... But I took up a new job in Coon Rapids that is going to keep me very busy and I will not have the time at all to work on my car. Luckily, the company I will be working for is going to be paying me enough to where I can have a qualified shop do the work for me.

I was initially planning on hiring a shop here, in St. Louis, to do the work and have the car shipped up to Minneapolis for me, but would like to be more involved with the project. I want to be able to check on the progress of the car and make sure that things are done how I want them. I want this to be a one time deal and don't want to have to repaint the car again a few years down the road.

Thanks again for all suggestions.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 283
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

always remember.....

with a Reputable shop that is top quality, you get what you pay for.

Pay a cheap price... get a cheap job. IMO.....