Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45
Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!

There have been a few threads expressing a desire for aftermarket reproductions of our Power Bulge hood in carbon fiber and fiberglass. But rather than updating other peoples' threads, I decided to make my own thread, since I seem to be doing all the searching.

NOS GM Power Bulge hoods don't exist anymore. When they did, they cost about $900-$1200. And good luck finding a decent one in a junkyard. Even finding a good used hood from a vendor will cost several hundred dollars. Then when you consider the additional cost for prep and paint of a new or used hood, fiberglass or steel, the hood could end-up costing almost as much as a carbon fiber hood. Whereas, for its price, a carbon fiber hood will arrive as a finished product ready to install. People apparently don't consider that when they complain about the price of carbon fiber hoods.

You could go to the extra expenses of prepping/painting a carbon fiber hood, but we all know most people are not buying it to reduce weight for racing/off-road applications. They're buying it for its natural appearance, to show in its carbon fiber form and won't be painting it.

But such aftermarket hoods have seemed elusive, so I searched using a name that will forever be infamous to 3rdgen lore: Knight Rider. And there they were: Power Bulge hoods in carbon fiber and fiberglass.

The carbon fiber hood is made by a company in the Los Angeles area. I've talked to them on the phone, and this definitely seems like a legitimate offering. I cannot vouch for the quality because I have not seen one (yet). So at this point I'm merely linking it so people will know about it.
http://www.advancarbon.com/#/item/82...t_carbon_hood/

The write-up on the hood sounds like it's pin-on because they recommend hood pins, but it's bolt-on(pins recommended because it's such a lightweight hood). Its finish is the standard smooth glossy black carbon fiber twill weave that we're all familiar with. And the additional scoop that bolts-into a stock hood is already molded into the hood.

Regarding a steel reproduction, Classic is represented here on TGO now and seems enthusiastic about getting involved with us. I've mentioned the need for such a product, so hopefully the company will see the interest in this hood and eventually offer something for us. Such interest in the Power Bulge hood has been adamantly-expressed in this thread:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/faq-...d-choices.html

I've also been in contact with VFN about its fiberglass Formula hood. VFN has had no pics to share, but they assure me that it's made with GM's mold. VFN's other hoods are nice, so I'm inclined to believe its fiberglass Formula hood would be nice too. Thanks to one of the members posting here, we have pics of VFN's hood further down within this thread.

VFN also makes a new hood for 4thgens based on the WS6 hood: the WSQ hood. It's a WS6-style Heat Extractor hood, and it's very cool! Being based on the WS6 hood, and with WS6 hoods also available in 3rdgen-form, I've asked them to consider producing a WSQ hood for 3rdgens, so we'll see what happens with that. Here's their website. Click on their catalog and start scrolling.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

My search also turned-up another fiberglass Formula hood made in Italy. It looks very nice, but it's REALLY expensive! It's currently advertised on ebay under Knight Rider Fiberglass Turbo Hood. I'm not surprised it's available in another country. After all, things from our past that we might take for granted here in the US, tend to be coveted in other parts of the world. And apparently, Knight Rider is one of those things.

Aftermarket carbon fiber and fiberglass reproductions will soon be our only replacement options, so it's nice to know such products are available.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed
Re: Carbon Fiber "Power Bulge" Formula Hood

How can VHN Make a hood you call a WS6 ?
They may make one based off the ram air hood as WS6 is a handling package not a hood.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds

That fact that the WS6, 4" and 5" WS6, 4" and 5" Sloped WS6, WS9 Outlaw, WSQ, Smoothie-Q, Predator, etc., are all variations of the Ram Air II hood seemed obvious and understood, especially with a link that provides all the information about them. Sad that's all you got out of this.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-13-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
That fact that the WS6, 4" and 5" WS6, 4" and 5" Sloped WS6, WS9 Outlaw, WSQ, Smoothie-Q, Predator, etc., are all variations of the Ram Air II hood seemed obvious and understood, especially with a link that provides all the information about them. Sad that's all you got out of this.
No what is sad is a company and people who think WS6 is a hood and are claiming a certain style of hood as such, and not calling it what it really is and that's a ram air hood, WS6 no matter what, is a handling package, that is what GM code set is as before the ram air II hood was ever thought about,even before third gen firebird,
As for the hood you are talking about and the link for other to view , Its a nice hood, I've seen it before on ebay, It's not my style of hood for our cars and in my opinion it cost way to much for a stock looking hood and I feel the same about the ram air style hood, But if it's what someone else wants that is fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

For 3rd gens, yes WS6 was a Suspension package. However.....In 4th gens (I think starting in the later years not right off the bat like for 93) the WS6 was an actual Model name just like Trans Am or Firebird or Camaro was.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
For 3rd gens, yes WS6 was a Suspension package. However.....In 4th gens (I think starting in the later years not right off the bat like for 93) the WS6 was an actual Model name just like Trans Am or Firebird or Camaro was.
The WS6 Suspension package started on the mid 70's second gens Formula and Trans Ams and continued to the fourth gens, The Later 4th gens just added the WS6 badges/decals on there T/As, but was not and is not an actual model name. As you could get a 4th gen Formula with the WS6 handling package and not the ram air hood and no ws6 badges, It is just a suspension package not a hood or anything else,
My point is that a company that uses WS6 and calls it a hood is wrong, It shows there ignorance and promotes ignorance as well, But thats what you get with a company that has issues with quality of material, workmanship, and fitment. I'm not talking about the first hood and site that is listed here but vfn
Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
The WS6 Suspension package started on the mid 70's second gens Formula and Trans Ams and continued to the fourth gens, The Later 4th gens just added the WS6 badges/decals on there T/As, but was not and is not an actual model name. As you could get a 4th gen Formula with the WS6 handling package and not the ram air hood and no ws6 badges, It is just a suspension package not a hood or anything else,
My point is that a company that uses WS6 and calls it a hood is wrong, It shows there ignorance and promotes ignorance as well, But thats what you get with a company that has issues with quality of material, workmanship, and fitment. I'm not talking about the first hood and site that is listed here but vfn
Yes, WS6 started before 3rd gens. I never implied that it didn't. The talk was about 3rd & 4th gens so that was what I talked about.

But the point is that there WAS a 4th gen WS6 model. Not JUST a RPO code for a Suspension Package like it was before then.

A WS6 hood being called such is no different than a Camaro hood, or a Firebird hood or Silverado hood. The WS6 name is legitimate to use, provided that the hood is modeled off the WS6 model.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

The 4thgen WS6 option was a suspension package that also included a less-restrictive exhaust system, a ram air intake and a Ram Air hood, which is why Ram Air hoods are also known as a WS6 hoods.

I didn't realize the WS6 hood was going to start a debate. I threw it in because there are so many interesting variations of it(most of which are not even available in 3rdgen-form). So, moving on...

But thanks for keeping this near the top lol, where more Firebird owners might see it.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-13-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 01 Z28 / 85 TA
Engine: 346 /355 V8
Transmission: 4L60E /700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 / 9bolt 3.27
Re: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Formula Hoods--They Do Exist!

I actually have the bolt-on VFN power bulge hood. This is the only FG hood I've owned besides the SS hood on my 4th gen (which I think is GM), so Ill post my observations as objectively as possible.

The hood lines, location and size of the bulge look correct when compared to the steel formula hood.

It needs some minor sanding at the rear corners to get the gaps even on the full length of the fender.

The arc is flatter than the OEM hood, which leads to it sitting low through the middle. Using the rubber snubbers that sit in the fender slots helps this but then it's slightly high at the front and has a bigger than normal gap at the front bumper.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Car: 01 Z28 / 85 TA
Engine: 346 /355 V8
Transmission: 4L60E /700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 / 9bolt 3.27

I also had to elongate the slots in the stock bracket a bit.

It's otherwise robust, I can drive 75 mph with nothing but the stock latch and some weatherstrip at the front to keep air from getting under it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Fomula, bought new, October 86
Engine: 305 Quadrajet,
Axle/Gears: 9bolt now in, starting on body work

And did anyone find the molds for this one, made back in the late 80's?
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!-101-069.jpg   Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!-101-070.jpg  
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

last pic, what is that front spoiler????? aftermarket? looks like it has a wide body kit on it also
Old 09-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Somebody made a complete IMSA style kit for the 3rd gen Birds which included widened fiberglass fenders and quarters, ground effects all around, and the symmetrical bulged hood. Sheet metal had to be cut out to enable big wheels and tires to fit under the fg but the parts knocked off about 200# off of the car. I'll try to find the article. The hood looked to be no higher than a stock Formula hood. Somebody on the forum mentioned that they knew of this hood from years ago. I was just wondering if anyone knew anymore about it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

Originally Posted by sgtmac
Somebody made a complete IMSA style kit for the 3rd gen Birds which included widened fiberglass fenders and quarters, ground effects all around, and the symmetrical bulged hood. Sheet metal had to be cut out to enable big wheels and tires to fit under the fg but the parts knocked off about 200# off of the car. I'll try to find the article. The hood looked to be no higher than a stock Formula hood. Somebody on the forum mentioned that they knew of this hood from years ago. I was just wondering if anyone knew anymore about it.

there was a post from a member years ago who had that hood. he had a picture of his car too. it was a formula hood post like this one

his name is 4mul8r

Last edited by 88 350 tpi formula; 10-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

FYI the VFN formula hood is well made, lines and shape are identical to the factory steel hood. the scoop is closed but like most cowls can be easily cut open

and the bulge is a 1pc design so there is no insert needed
Old 10-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Name:  3ead0ee2-d2ff-4f2c-a346-d4e5bed1fd65_zps6e9fcd6a.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  hood008_zps53fc2233.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  hood003_zpsc108358e.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  73.3 KB

Last edited by 88 350 tpi formula; 02-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Melvin2204 (07-13-2019)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by sgtmac
Originally Posted by 88 350 tpi formula
there was a post from a member years ago who had that hood. he had a picture of his car too. it was a formula hood post like this one his name is 4mul8r
About halfway down the page......
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/firebird8292.html
Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Glad to see this thread finally found people with VFN's Formula hood. Pics too! Even VFN hasn't been able to produce pics for me.

VFN says it uses GM's mold for its hood, yet they had know knowledge of the insert-piece. Apparently, that's because the mold already has the insert installed.

Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-13-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:34 PM

We got a fiberglass hood off an 82-83 Z28 and the night hood I swear was metal I didn't know they made those in fiberglass I'll have to look at it again to see.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

About halfway down the page......
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/firebird8292.html

I dont see it? or at least not the one i posted above
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

I dont see it? or at least not the one i posted above
I see that between the day I posted that & today a lot of the pics are dead now. Just empty boxes for a pic.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

I see that between the day I posted that & today a lot of the pics are dead now. Just empty boxes for a pic.

yes, your right it's been some time. I don't come on here too often just here and there so I never checked the link
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM

there was a post from a member years ago who had that hood. he had a picture of his car too. it was a formula hood post like this one

his name is 4mul8r
Does anybody know this guy or car? That looks to be the hood I want for my 87...
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Here are the pics of the ISMA hood(4mul8r's car), which have apparently disappeared from this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!-firebirdhoodisma1a.jpg   Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!-firebirdhoodisma2a.jpg   Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!-firebirdhoodisma3a.jpg  

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-13-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 747 Likes on 506 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt
Re: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Formula Hoods: They Do Exist!

I just put a aluminum formula hood on one of my cars.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: V8 5.0L HO (L69)
Transmission: B&W T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

Originally Posted by TTOP350

Where the hell did you get that !? That's the holy grail of 3rd gen Firebird parts
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

Here are the pics of the ISMA hood(4mul8r's car), which have apparently disappeared from this thread.
Wow, I wish it had the side vents like my T/A hood... Love that one!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SolarGoldRaptor
Where the hell did you get that !? That's the holy grail of 3rd gen Firebird parts
Its been in my closet for several years.
I've had my hands on quite a few of them
Old 04-12-2014, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 350 tuned port. bolt ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Its been in my closet for several years.
I've had my hands on quite a few of them
lucky. I would go nuts for one.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am 15th anniversary
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 3:73

I thought 82 t/as were the only ones with aluminium hoods?

All this talk about "formula hoods" needs to be renamed to Trans am hood. The real Trans am hood .
Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

You are correct. The "Power Bulge" hood is the REAL Trans Am hood, the definitive 3rdgen Firebird hood, just as "Knight Rider" will forever be the most infamous representative of 3rdgen Firebirds. This isn't just my opinion, as "history" has already proven it.

I can change the title of the thread, and I can change the title of each of my posts, but I can't change the titles of anybody else's posts.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 04-13-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

You are correct. The "Power Bulge" hood is the REAL Trans Am hood, the definitive 3rdgen Firebird hood, just as "Knight Rider" will forever be the most infamous representative of 3rdgen Firebirds. This isn't just my opinion, as "history" has already proven it.
GM failed big time phasing that hood into a lesser model of the line up. Fully functional and great looking. I had a power bulge on my 86 t/a. I remember a guy coming up to me at work saying "I saw a black and gold car like yours on the weekend but it didn't have your hood". He said he liked it much better.

Just driving a thirdgen with that hood and looking out and seeing the cowl adds to the coolness factor. Anyone I have let drive my car has commented on it.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am, 99 WS6, 16 Mustang GT
Engine: LB9, LS1
Transmission: 700R4, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi, 4.10 Posi

Originally Posted by The_Wraith
GM failed big time phasing that hood into a lesser model of the line up. Fully functional and great looking. I had a power bulge on my 86 t/a. I remember a guy coming up to me at work saying "I saw a black and gold car like yours on the weekend but it didn't have your hood". He said he liked it much better.

Just driving a thirdgen with that hood and looking out and seeing the cowl adds to the coolness factor. Anyone I have let drive my car has commented on it.
I completely agree. The stock trans am hood from 85 up is pretty lame.

I'm not even sure why they stopped putting them on the T/A at all. Apparently they were so popular, production couldn't keep up.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exi

Dig the hood myself..
Name:  scan0068.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  83.1 KB
Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt
Re: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exi

Looks great with the guages.
Anyone put the 2nd gen turbo lights in their third gen power bulge hood? I was thinking of trying to make them into a shift light.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
Looks great with the guages.
Anyone put the 2nd gen turbo lights in their third gen power bulge hood? I was thinking of trying to make them into a shift light.

That was Pontiac's original plan for the 1982 trans am, to put the POS 301 turbo and put boost guages facing you through the cowl scoop,They called the power bulge hood the "Turbo hood".

Luckily that idea was dumped and the almighty infamous Crossfire replaced it

Dave
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 PM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

Originally Posted by SolarGoldRaptor

Yup you said it

I have parted out and been around MANY 1982-1984 birds and NEVER have had one of those hoods

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

I have had 3 of them at my house at 1 time. Even have a NOS set of hood struts and hood spring for it.
The date code makes it a Trans Am hood but its going on a formula. (same thing used on the 91-92 firehawk comp cars)
In 1970 the twin scooped hood was supposed to go on the T/A but ended up on the formula. Sooo Pontiac kinda stole the T/A 2 times for the formula.
The turbo bulge hood just looks the best on cars without ground FX, IMO.

Last edited by TTOP350; 04-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 3rdgenparts
That was Pontiac's original plan for the 1982 trans am, to put the POS 301 turbo and put boost guages facing you through the cowl scoop,They called the power bulge hood the "Turbo hood".

Luckily that idea was dumped and the almighty infamous Crossfire replaced it
The cross-fire was a flop and the LG4 was a complete dog. Both of those offerings would most likely have been wasted performance wise by the 301 Turbo in a 82 Trans am

I would have much preferred if Pontiac used the 301 Turbo in the 82 Trans am. There are plenty of those Turbo cars still kicking around till this day. It would have also made Pontiac engine swaps virtually a drop in. Still, as time went on I am sure the 301 would have been a whole new beast.

In 1970 the twin scooped hood was supposed to go on the T/A but ended up on the formula.
The funny thing is a forumla hood looks badass on a 70-73 t/a. Here is a pro touring hybrid firebird with the forumla hood

Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

I also have a 70 formula. Its a bare shell right now, hope to see paint soon.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Supreme Member

Does anyone know if the bulge on the third gen hood is the same dimensions as the second gen turbo hood? Is the 2nd gen hood bulge all metal or does it have a plastic trailing edge insert like the third gen does? Still thinking of putting the second gen boost guage in mine.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

Does anyone know if the bulge on the third gen hood is the same dimensions as the second gen turbo hood? Is the 2nd gen hood bulge all metal or does it have a plastic trailing edge insert like the third gen does? Still thinking of putting the second gen boost guage in mine.
It does separate and appears (at least by pics) that it is the same spec as the thirdgens. Look on ebay there are plenty for sale. Not sure about it being plastic the one on my car is aluminium.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

They are not the same sizes.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Oh well, just have to make my own then.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base Firebird
Engine: TPI 350
Axle/Gears: D44

Just to add:

I spoke with Jean at VFN regarding their powerbulge hoods. It's currently offered only in pin-on style, as the mold for the underside "went bad" and they haven't yet been able to replace it. They don't anticipate being able to make a bolt on powerbulge until "sometime next year, earliest".
Old 06-21-2015, 12:18 PM

Location: Michigan [Bodacious Member with the Bodacious TA'TAs (Trans Ams)]
Car: 91 Formula - Authentic and REAL
Engine: 5.0 Liter

Different dimensions. I suppose it's possible to cut the bulge off a 2nd gen hood and weld it to a third gen, but I'll caution that the 2nd gen hood is flat and may need to be warped to fit a 3rd gen. The "cap" is bolt on, so you could cap it off if you didn't have the gages in the hood.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Through continued efforts to find Carbon Fiber hoods for our 3rdgen Firebirds, I found a new offering by Carbon Creations, a ZL1 hood, available for both, Firebirds and Camaros, in both, Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass. Obviously, not a Power Bulge hood, but when something new comes available to us, like this hood, it needs to be posted-up, so here are the links:

Deleted the dead links.

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Formula
Engine: L98
Transmission: A4

Through continued efforts to find Carbon Fiber hoods for our 3rdgen Firebirds, I found a new offering by Carbon Creations, a ZL1 hood, available for both, Firebirds and Camaros, in both, Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass. Obviously, not a Power Bulge hood, but when something new comes available to us, like this hood, it needs to be posted-up, so here are the links:

https://carboncreations.com/carbon-c...1982-1992.html

https://carboncreations.com/duraflex...1982-1992.html

And for those people who've been looking for a rear deck lid, CC offers one of those, too, though I suspect people are already familiar with its availability:

https://carboncreations.com/carbon-c...1982-1992.html
bump!

Has anyone seen any movement in this area?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, I created this thread seven years ago! Cleaned-up some dead links throughout.

I tried to order the CF hood from Advan Carbon last year, but they were backlogged, or so they said, and there was going to be, at least, a six month lead time. I had no intention of investing my money for an indefinite amount of time, so I dropped it, and never got back to them later in the year.

During all of this downtime in 2020, my plans are on the verge of changing anyway. Probably going to do something with a hood that I can modify, without remorse lol. I've contacted the maker of the ISMA hood, also mentioned within this thread, and others, about getting it produced again. Nothing is likely to come out of it, but we'll see. But even that, alone, wouldn't complete my idea, so no loss if it can't be produced. There is another...

Last edited by LAFireboyd; 07-21-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1

I agree, a hard line between the weave directions ruins it for me as well.
As a Canadian I can say I likely never will buy a carbon hood as economically it wouldn't make much sense with our exchange and then the shipping... And then shipping back a product that will for sure be damaged in the process.

If I ever get to that point in time in my project I may tinker around and make use of my "advanced" composite cert and make a hood of my own... IMSA style if I were to do so.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass "Power Bulge" Hoods for 3rdgen Firebirds: They Do Exist!