Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Weatherstip rail on quarter panel for window

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weatherstip rail on quarter panel for window

My car has t-top. The weatherstip is held in place along the quarter panel in a small metal rail that screws on to the body. The original material underneath (between body and rail) is some sort of sticky gasket with adhesive on both sides. I have no idea what it's called.

I had to repaint the rail, so it's removed from the car. Now, how to reattach it?

One option is to find the original stuff...if anyone knows what it is called, and if it is available.

Another option is to put some sort of adhesive between the rail and the body, and just screw it down. I'm afraid that would probably scratch the body up.

I have a third option in mind...use automotive RTV. Place the RTV under the rail and lightly screw it down. Tighten it enough so that the RTV fills the area underneath (wipe up any excess that squeezes out the sides), and let the RTV setup completely (24 hours). Then, cinch down the rail. That would make the RTV act like both a sealer and gasket. Does that seem reasonable?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Weatherstip rail on quarter panel for window

Thinking it's just a thin foam rubber.