Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Wilwood Rear Kit (match for Spohn's Front "Bigbrake" Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Iroc
Engine: 305
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Originally posted by alloy
Yes you are missing something. Go to the wilwood web site and look up the specs for kit# 140-2992-b you have linked to and you will understand.

www.wilwood.com
*sigh*

Thanks man... that helped lots. I had already been to the Wilwood site and downloaded the .pdf on the 140-2992-b, among other things, before I posted. Would someone be nice enough to point out what I'm missing?

TIA
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 PM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: 355
Transmission: Tremec 5 speed
I remember coming across this kit when I was investigating my brake upgrade options. If I remember correctly, the big drawback to this kit is that it uses a stock sized rotor. To me, the biggest problem with our stock brake system is the rotor is undersized for the weight of the car. So since this kit is not offering larger rotor it will not be much of an upgrade if your intent is to reduce fade. I do recall that I had to dig through the Wilwood site a bit to find the rotor size. They talk a lot about the virtues of the caliper but are reluctant to disclose the size of the rotor.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z28
Engine: 305 TPI-New 355 on the engine stand
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton posi-Soon a 9" Ford!
Originally posted by vexter
*sigh*

Thanks man... that helped lots. I had already been to the Wilwood site and downloaded the .pdf on the 140-2992-b, among other things, before I posted. Would someone be nice enough to point out what I'm missing?

TIA
Well the entire point was not to tell you the answer, it was to have you look up the specs and learn something for yourself. You ever heard of "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for life"?

You are comtemplating a brake upgrade to your car and really need to learn the pros and cons of each kit. And me or others just giving you and everyone else the answers teaches you nothing. Myself and others here have spent hundreds of hours on coming up with these kits, and it would be nice if others would take a little time to learn for themselves and not ask easy questions that have the answer (PDF file) right in front of them.

You said you have the PDF of the kit. Ok, did you notice the kit had 10.75" rotors and not 12"? There is info all over this suspension board about the C4 and LS1 brakes being 12", and my kit being 13". And did you see that the kit you mention uses lightweight Dynalite calipers instead of Superlites? The dynalites are whats used on this rear wilwood kit. They are completely inadequate for the front of our cars unless you have a lightweight drag car only. And, this info concerning this kit being for a drag car has been discussed before.

So yes, I was trying to help educate you how to do the research and make an intelligent, informed decision on how to upgrade your brakes instead of relying on others to do the leg work for you.

Class over.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by br()bert
hahaha deans banned again! " can i have my old name agood2.8 back? lol i guess not! LOL , He once laughed when i asked for help because my head gasket went, so i now say what i said then"cars can be fixed, dean will be an *** forever" Is sad really because he does know alot about 3rd gens.:lala:
Its got alot to do with SNOT NOSED LITTLE ASSWIPES LIKE THIS little sh*t that I loose my cool around here.

My tech info Is as top notch as you'll come by ever on this board- If you did your frikin job and banned the correct instigators Mr. all high and mighty EDE, I wouldn't have to get upset with *******s like this clown.

Your personal vendeta against me EDE is the loss of good tech info to many-

Agood2.8
Old 01-04-2004, 02:25 AM

Car: Camaro Z28 1LE R7U
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: G-Force Dog-Ring T5
Not to hi-jack the thread.....

First off let me give my for all the excellent tech info in this thread.

Now, Dean, there should be no question in your mind - or anyone else's at this point as to why you keep getting banned, when you fly off the handle at even the slightest insult. I mean - do you really care that much what everyone or anyone here on the boards thinks about you?? Believe me - it really does'nt matter THAT much - so you need to calm down and not result to insult and obscenity every time someone makes a comment that offends you. Get a punching bag or something... Anything to take out your frustrations so you don't have to get "keyboard rage" - cause the mods will never let you play if you can't follow the rules. As for wether or not the mods are so poisioned by you at this point that they will even consider ever letting you post here again - well that is something you will have to discuss privately with the Moderators and the Administrators.

Good luck - and for your own sake - chill out man.

And there is lots of top notch tech info on these boards from many sources.