Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Need Part number for Ebrake cable for LS1 rear brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: Nothing but air
Axle/Gears: Four stands
Re: Need Part number for Ebrake cable for LS1 rear brakes.

I have just got my e brake working on my LS1 brakes using the Lokar universal cables. It took a bit of modifying but they seem to work well. They were expensive but being in Australia I couldn't just go to the wrecking yard and get forth gen cables.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z28
Engine: 305 TPI-New 355 on the engine stand
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton posi-Soon a 9" Ford!

I've went through this on another thread, but I'll post here how I did it.

First I used wagner cables #BC140184. got them from Napa online.
I used a 4th gen brake lever and front cable I got off a six banger car. Seems to be no difference in what motor or trans, the levers seem to be all the same. I also cut the front cable bracket out of a 4th gen.

First I installed the cables on the brakes. Then I put the 4th gen brake lever in with the 4th gen cable. I ran the cable through my old grommet.
I then attached the 4th gen bracket to the front cable and that set my location front to rear. I had to remove part of the old brake cable mount for the new bracket to attach to the floor board, but that wasn't a big deal. I then attached the 4th gen bracket to the floor board and then finished putting the rear cables on. End of story. Works perfectly. I love the self adjust feature of the 4th gen handle. I have pics of the bracket I used somewhere if anyone needs to see what it looks like.

Last edited by alloy; 03-02-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 ZZ2 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: SLP/Dana44 3.54

Old thread but the best (though confusing) I found regarding information for parking brake cables for LS1 conversion.

After reading this thread many times I gambled on Raybestos BC94264 and they fit perfect. Only need to make the brake end a bit bigger with a file and route the cables under the axles.

My car is a 1985 IROC with 4 disc brakes and have adjustable parking brake.

Here's a few pictures.

Adjustable parking brake

Left

Left

Right

Right

Result

The perfect companion, Front C5 Brakes
Old 04-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 85 Camaro & 84 Fiero
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: LT1/T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8w/4.10

Originally Posted by SwedeInSiam
Old thread but the best (though confusing) I found regarding information for parking brake cables for LS1 conversion.

After reading this thread many times I gambled on Raybestos BC94264 and they fit perfect. Only need to make the brake end a bit bigger with a file and route the cables under the axles.

My car is a 1985 IROC with 4 disc brakes and have adjustable parking brake.

Here's a few pictures.

Adjustable parking brake

Left

Left

Right

Right

Result

The perfect companion, Front C5 Brakes
old thread I know but new part number to add. I used the same cables as listed on my camaro and they worked perfectly. Now I'm getting ready to do my firebird and found these. Plus there made in the USA. BRUIN brand pn#94264
Old 06-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I consulted this thread when replacing the brake cable on my Camaro. I have the LS1 rear end and it had been probably 10 years since I replaced the brake cable that was now seized up so I had no idea what cable I had. This thread has some contradictory posts with some people saying X cable worked and some saying X doesn't work and they used Y. Others saying they had to special order a cable from only brand Z......

So here is what I did. I ordered two sets of cables from AutoZone for the 91/92 Camaro. C1647 (1460mm) and C1621 (1434mm) are the cable part numbers. AutoZone like every other parts supplier gets much of their brake/suspension parts from the same company so don't even start the AutoZone bashing. I first tried the longer cable and discovered 2 things:

1. That even with the Ebrake handle's cable adjusted as short as it could go that the brake cables were still an inch too long. That is why some members were talking about shortening cables or adding washers/Uclips to take up the slack.
2. The shorter cables have a smaller opening for the E brake lever and this is why some members had to bore out the cable attachment. The better solution is just to take a flap disc on a grinder to the E brake's attaching lever. It really is only a tiny bit of material you have to remove, with a naked eye you would not be able to tell. Here are two pictures to help. The shorter cable has the larger attachment end.

I removed the longer cables and I put on the shorter cables next and everything snapped in place perfectly. As some members have said, the shorter cables, C1621 (1434mm), make this look like a stock rear end setup. The shorter cables have the larger attachment opening so nothing needed to be done for fitment.
The following users liked this post:
DynoDave43 (12-16-2023)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 85 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42 with Torsen posi

I'm reviving this for more info if people have it. I put a 4th gen rear from a 99 T/A in my car. My car was originally a drum brake car. Last year I put a disc rear from a 91 car in it. I purchased Raybestos BC94264 cables for that conversion and they worked perfect. From what I have read on here those should have been the cables to use for the LS1 conversion. Well the cables seen to short. I modified the end that goes on the park brake lever for them to fit but the cable seems to be about 1'-1 1/2" to short. They pull on the lever to much and engage the brake even with the handle all the way down. I do have some adjustment left on the equalizer bar but not a lot. Reading this thread makes your head hurt. Seems like what works for one person doesn't work for another. It's been a couple years since this thread was updated so just seeing if anyone has any other answers.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

If what you are doing is putting in a rear-end from an LS car that was the LS calipers with internal drum style parking brake then what I posted is correct. It sounds like something in your setup needs adjusted, be it the mechanism that acts on the shoe, the center brake cable or the parking brake handle. I would also verify you have the correct cable by measuring it. I think some of these members problems came about because they didn't verify parts or adjustment.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LS3 w/ HCI
Transmission: Magnum F (T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3:42 posi rear

For anyone with a non-adjustable brake cable, I was able to pull in enough slack to make the LS1 (not LS1 cable) thirdgen disc rear cables work by using a roll pin and crushing it as a spacer.

I had this set from harbor freight laying around.

I found one that fits over the cable when I pull out the slack. Sorry I forget which size this was...

I then pulled out slack, slipped the roll pin on, and then just crushed it on with some vice grips....

This quick fix pulled in all the slack I needed and now my parking brakes engage!!! Just thought I would share.

Last edited by Sdmodified; 03-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs convertible
Engine: Built ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Here is what I did. It’s a 4th gen rear with disc brakes and I used the 4th gen e brake cables. I fabricated my own bracket for inside the tranny tunnel because the stock 3rd gen won’t work and then I ran it pretty much the stock routing. I then had to make brackets for the cable to run through that attach to the rear end on both sides and made brackets for the brake lines as well. The tension seems to be perfect with the e brake released and engaged.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tibo
I consulted this thread when replacing the brake cable on my Camaro. I have the LS1 rear end and it had been probably 10 years since I replaced the brake cable that was now seized up so I had no idea what cable I had. This thread has some contradictory posts with some people saying X cable worked and some saying X doesn't work and they used Y. Others saying they had to special order a cable from only brand Z......

So here is what I did. I ordered two sets of cables from AutoZone for the 91/92 Camaro. C1647 (1460mm) and C1621 (1434mm) are the cable part numbers. AutoZone like every other parts supplier gets much of their brake/suspension parts from the same company so don't even start the AutoZone bashing. I first tried the longer cable and discovered 2 things:

1. That even with the Ebrake handle's cable adjusted as short as it could go that the brake cables were still an inch too long. That is why some members were talking about shortening cables or adding washers/Uclips to take up the slack.
2. The shorter cables have a smaller opening for the E brake lever and this is why some members had to bore out the cable attachment. The better solution is just to take a flap disc on a grinder to the E brake's attaching lever. It really is only a tiny bit of material you have to remove, with a naked eye you would not be able to tell. Here are two pictures to help. The shorter cable has the larger attachment end.

I removed the longer cables and I put on the shorter cables next and everything snapped in place perfectly. As some members have said, the shorter cables, C1621 (1434mm), make this look like a stock rear end setup. The shorter cables have the larger attachment opening so nothing needed to be done for fitment.
This is good to know. What year is your car? Were you able to use the factory 3rd gen junction on the tunnel where the front cable meets the 2 rears? Did you use the whole 4th gen rear end setup or just the brakes etc. I'm about to swap an 01 rear into my 88 and pretty lost with all the people posting here with different outcomes.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you only have to make a bracket for the cables if your car is drum rear? My 88 4 wheel disc car has little half moons on each side of tunnel for the cables to run through