Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

13" baer front disc kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 z28
Engine: 358
Axle/Gears: 342
13" baer front disc kit

Hey new to this whole forum. My son n I are putting together my 85 Z28, complete rebuild for road course. I have 2 questions I hope you all can help me with. I bought the 13" baer brake kit. I have an issue with the lower caliper bolt goes right where the steering stop is casted into knuckle. With that removed what stops knuckle from turning too far. The second is I installed kyb adjustable shocks, the rear shocks are 1 1/2 too long when fully extended which then my rear brake line will not hook up to body brakes and my GC springs are extremely loose and could come out. Any ideas,?? We r started this in Sept and it will b running next week. Getting it done before he graduates high school and head to basic in July. A lot of work in short time. I will post pics soon thanks for any help....
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: 13" baer front disc kit

This has all been covered already.
You should read the instructions with the Baer kit, I believe you have to cut the turn stop off the spindle.
You'll need limit straps to keep the springs from falling out as a precaution, should be fine on the street though. This would cover your shocks being too long too, but it sounds like you need a longer rear brake to diff hose.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:39 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by fstr85tpi
The second is I installed kyb adjustable shocks, the rear shocks are 1 1/2 too long when fully extended which then my rear brake line will not hook up to body brakes and my GC springs are extremely loose and could come out.
So what you're saying is the axle can't go full droop because the brake hose is too short? Wrong brake hose, I'd say.

Ground Control springs are ridiculously short (I have multiple sets). If you think you might go airborne (which you can on some road courses) then you should add a travel limiting strap to the rear axle so the springs stay seated.

Shocks have a preferred ride height to operate. You might double check that the KYB is designed to work in the range where you're going to be with those lowering springs.

Originally Posted by fstr85tpi
With that removed what stops knuckle from turning too far.
Well, if it works like the C6 corvette brakes, when you turn the steering wheel too far the brake fluid will be pushed out of the caliper and you'll temporarily have no brakes at all until you frantically pump the pedal about 3 times to refill. Fortunately I only turn that tight at slow speed in parking lots but it is a terrible side-effect! First time it happened I almost rolled out into traffic because I hadn't touched my brakes since backing out of the parking spot. Now I know better so it doesn't happen often... but it does still happen.

It used to be my tires would rub the sway bar before full lock, but somehow these 2 inch wider wheels & tires I have now don't rub the sway bar.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 04-04-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

Solution for shock length....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tsdZjfByS5umcWDx1

Look at the lower shock mount
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 z28
Engine: 358
Axle/Gears: 342

So thanks for info. Contacted baer and umi ( tubular member and a arms) Randy from hawks said he doesn't know what would actually stop spindle he's checking with umi.
The whole shock ordeal. Nope , shock is actually too long put it next to original and yup 1 1/2 " difference. Contacted kyb and I'm sending them back, putting original back on so I can continue with build. Anyone that has this brake conversion on their car let me know what was done. Fabricating a stop seems to be answer. Running this car at watkins glenn I cant have any of these basic issues. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Iroc z
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
So what you're saying is the axle can't go full droop because the brake hose is too short? Wrong brake hose, I'd say.

Ground Control springs are ridiculously short (I have multiple sets). If you think you might go airborne (which you can on some road courses) then you should add a travel limiting strap to the rear axle so the springs stay seated.

Shocks have a preferred ride height to operate. You might double check that the KYB is designed to work in the range where you're going to be with those lowering springs.

Well, if it works like the C6 corvette brakes, when you turn the steering wheel too far the brake fluid will be pushed out of the caliper and you'll temporarily have no brakes at all until you frantically pump the pedal about 3 times to refill. Fortunately I only turn that tight at slow speed in parking lots but it is a terrible side-effect! First time it happened I almost rolled out into traffic because I hadn't touched my brakes since backing out of the parking spot. Now I know better so it doesn't happen often... but it does still happen.

It used to be my tires would rub the sway bar before full lock, but somehow these 2 inch wider wheels & tires I have now don't rub the sway bar.

Is there a fix for the problems with the c6 brakes failing? I am looking at doing a big brake upgrade on my camaro but don' want to spend $1800 on brakes that fail.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Modify the steering stop on the control arm so it contacts the mounting bolts for the caliper before the caliper itself it hit, causing the fluid issue mentioned before.

You would think baer would have made the bracket with a new steering stop tab on it if this is such a problem. I ran a 14" baer 6s kit and it didn't interfeer with the steering stop at all.