88 Iroc Rear Disc/Parking Brake Fun - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Go Back  Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Brakes
Reload this Page >

88 Iroc Rear Disc/Parking Brake Fun

Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 AM

So, the fronts have been upgraded to better pad/rotos with reman calipers and braided lines due to issues the car had when I bought the car. The rear rotors/pads just cam in this weekend. Thought doing the rears on this car was as easy as most rear disc cars. Not so fast.

It seems the process is, drop the drive shaft, adjust the parking brake out, drop the cables off the brackets, remove the brackets to access the caliper bolts, remove calipers, remove rotors, repeat reverse above process. This seems like a lot.

This is a hobby for me and I work on the car when I have extra time. So, I tend to plan things out and work on it an hour here and hour there. I just got to the point of having the rear up in the air with the wheels off. Sprayed deep creep on all the fasteners, and lubed all the cables. Then I started looking around.. and like other projects, this one got just a bit bigger than expected.

Question, are there any shortcuts. I have read a bunch of threads on here and pieced together the procedure above from different threads. Some said drop the drive shaft, others said they didn't need to. What tool did you guys use to get up there? None of my wrenches have enough travel to actually move to bolt. I'm thinking I either need to build something or will a stubby do it?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Re: 88 Iroc Rear Disc/Parking Brake Fun

Dropped the drive shaft and made my own tool.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM

The 21-piece SAE/Metric go-thru socket set from Harbor Freight (#67974) might be helpful—if not for your current project, perhaps another one.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 10-11-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
The 21-piece SAE/Metric go-thru socket set from Harbor Freight (#67974) might be helpful—if not for your current project, perhaps another one.

JamesC
James, good thought! I actually have a set of these and would certainly be good for the purpose except for the handle length on the ratchet. I tried a 1/2" regular wrench, 1/2" stubby wrench, and finally took and old one and just bent it over and welded the crack back up. The issue was the room to get enough swing on any tool in the tunnel. Now, my car has an aftermarket exhaust with a 3" pipe. That closes up some of the space others may have.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Supreme Member

Just a quick tip Kyle. This worked for me getting the rear E-Brake and brakes to work.
Remove EBrake cable from caliper
Remove Caliper
Remove Rotor
Grab new pads
Put Rotor in vise protected by rags
Load Caliper with new brakes
Take off EBrake arm nut off
Rotate arm till pads just make contact with Disc
Remove and Reposition EBrake arm on its resting stop
Install nut
REMOVE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY WITH OUT MOVING A THING
Reinstall on car
Connect cable
Take up slack with you neat wrench...I used the Pass through wrenches
Your brake will work so fine you'll be pulling on the EBrake just to leave marks on the road!!! It works that well.
Reason is, you rotated the piston screw and took up all the space between the pads and rotor.

Good Luck!
Bob
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Not enough room for a regular wrench as I stated.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
Just a quick tip Kyle. This worked for me getting the rear E-Brake and brakes to work.
Remove EBrake cable from caliper
Remove Caliper
Remove Rotor
Grab new pads
Put Rotor in vise protected by rags
Load Caliper with new brakes
Take off EBrake arm nut off
Rotate arm till pads just make contact with Disc
Remove and Reposition EBrake arm on its resting stop
Install nut
REMOVE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY WITH OUT MOVING A THING
Reinstall on car
Connect cable
Take up slack with you neat wrench...I used the Pass through wrenches
Your brake will work so fine you'll be pulling on the EBrake just to leave marks on the road!!! It works that well.
Reason is, you rotated the piston screw and took up all the space between the pads and rotor.

Good Luck!
Bob
Funny thing is, there are 100's of places to find this kind of information on the front brakes and multiple YouTube Videos. The Haynes manual is pretty good, but does leave details out. The fun here is to remove the caliper. On the passenger side, you have to drop the LCA to slide the caliper bolt out. On the drivers side, you have to remove the brake line since it is a hard line.

Dealing with the calipers, you are 100% correct... I am taking some videos of my progress, I may stitch them together and post it since I couldn't find another. Found plenty on the PBR caliper version. It's not an "easy job" like a lot of brakes, but it's not really all that difficult either. Finding a tool I could get enough swing on in the driveshaft tunnel was the key here. With the wrench I bent, I was able to get almost a full 180* of rotation. On others it was probably 10-30*.... I guess I didn't have the patients for that.

Also, for anyone reading this in the future, dropping the driveshaft also made it a lot easier to access the parking brake cable adjustment. Took about 3 minutes to separate it. Took the caps off, and used my jack handle to pop it free. I put some wire ties between the torque arm and the exhaust pipe to catch it. I did not pull it out of the slip yoke to avoid the mess. Mark it and the pinion before you separate it to make sure it goes back in the same location.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
Not enough room for a regular wrench as I stated.
You're wrong. You can do it with a Gearwrench, because that's how I've done it.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM

You're wrong. You can do it with a Gearwrench, because that's how I've done it.
You don't read entire posts, obviously.

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
With the wrench I bent, I was able to get almost a full 180* of rotation. On others it was probably 10-30*.... I guess I didn't have the patients for that.
I am sure after 30 years of crud under the car, different exhaust pipes, and a different driveshaft nothing could possibly be any different between the car you worked on and mine.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Supreme Member

The beauty of a good ratcheting wrench is they only require a few degrees of travel to reach the next 'click'.

Last edited by JamesC; 10-12-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

I was thinking a deep socket, a universal and 3-4 feet of extensions would have been a lot easier and quicker than ruining a regular wrench. I have also used the ratcheting box end in the tunnel, plenty of room regardless of your exhaust. Or could have used a stubby ratcheting box, or a stubby box, or a deep socket on a finger ratchet, or a crows foot
Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

I've done that 3 feet of extensions and swivel before. I didn't want to jack up the car to get to it!
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
I've done that 3 feet of extensions and swivel before. I didn't want to jack up the car to get to it!
Guy my cousin used to work for would have a car up on a lift, all the way, and he would sit on a stool with the extensions. He said that is how the guy worked most of the time
Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Guy my cousin used to work for would have a car up on a lift, all the way, and he would sit on a stool with the extensions. He said that is how the guy worked most of the time
Didn't try that one. There is often more than one way to solve the problem.

Wish I had a lift to sit under the car
Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM

IDK, you seem ignorant and stubborn as the day is long, so I'm not going to waste much of my time trying to help you.

The beauty of a good ratcheting wrench is they only require a few degrees of travel to reach the next 'click'. But you go ahead and keep telling people the only way to do it is to build a custom tool. Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

I never said it was the only way. Possibly you should try reading before responding. I posted what I did and it worked wonderfully. Others have done it with other tools. Some of lifts, some with it jacked up, some without even jacking it up apparently. It's all good to me.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 PM

Most methods of achieving adjustment seem to have been covered.

JamesC
Closed Thread