Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Gta
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA

My buttons on the steering wheel quit working. The ETR radio in showing LOC. I understand you cannot unlock the radio unless the Mute botton works on the steering wheel. Can you help me get started looking for the cause. Thanks Bob
Old 11-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Restored 88 GTA
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Posi
Re: Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA

Originally Posted by suprabob
My buttons on the steering wheel quit working. The ETR radio in showing LOC. I understand you cannot unlock the radio unless the Mute botton works on the steering wheel. Can you help me get started looking for the cause. Thanks Bob
Attached is a diagram of the steering wheel controls.
With the control pad pulled from the steering wheel but still plugged in with the ignition on, you should have 12 volts dc on the yellow wire, 12 volts dc on the grey wire (Lights on) 4.7 volts dc on the orange wire that will fluctuate when any key is pushed. The springs in the turn signal switch are part of the circuits. They do overheat and tend to get weak and fail. If you have all the voltages except the yellow (12 Volts) you can run a jumper from the fuse panel to the control pad to unlock your radio.

Please post your findings here.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-tom1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
89 GTA 355 (12-05-2023)
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by red88tagta
Attached is a diagram of the steering wheel controls.
With the control pad pulled from the steering wheel but still plugged in with the ignition on, you should have 12 volts dc on the yellow wire, 12 volts dc on the grey wire (Lights on) 4.7 volts dc on the orange wire that will fluctuate when any key is pushed. The springs in the turn signal switch are part of the circuits. They do overheat and tend to get weak and fail. If you have all the voltages except the yellow (12 Volts) you can run a jumper from the fuse panel to the control pad to unlock your radio.

Please post your findings here.
No power at yellow wire or grey wire, now what?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM

I cannot get any power at yellow or grey wire. any thing else I can do.?
Thanks Bob
Old 11-09-2013, 02:57 PM

You can jumper the yellow wire with 12 volts and jumper the black (Ground) to ground to see if you have 4.7 volts on the orange wire on the back side of the control pad. If you do have the 4.7 volts now, you should be able to unlock the radio since the orange wire is data sent across the led transmitters and recievers. If that works, that is good but you are still going to have to pull the steering wheel to find out what is wrong with the turn signal switch.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

You can jumper the yellow wire with 12 volts and jumper the black (Ground) to ground to see if you have 4.7 volts on the orange wire on the back side of the control pad. If you do have the 4.7 volts now, you should be able to unlock the radio since the orange wire is data sent across the led transmitters and recievers. If that works, that is good but you are still going to have to pull the steering wheel to find out what is wrong with the turn signal switch.
Thanks, I got the radio to work using your method, now I need to get the lock off of the steering wheel so I can inspect the turn signal switch. I'll probly make a tool to compress the spring so I can get the snap ring off. What might a look for as a problem I can fix or well I just need to get a new turn signal switch?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks, I got the radio to work using your method, now I need to get the lock off of the steering wheel so I can inspect the turn signal switch. I'll probly make a tool to compress the spring so I can get the snap ring off. What might a look for as a problem I can fix or well I just need to get a new turn signal switch?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by suprabob
After you have removed the turn signal switch from the column, you can cut the tabs holding the small pc board on the bottom side of the turn signal switch. Restretch the springs and reassemble and glue the board back on.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA

Hi,
This is my first post on 3rd gen,only joined a week ago - hope I'm doing the right thing with replies and postings.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the steering wheel audio control unit for a 3rd gen GTA Trans Am?
Mine is'nt working 100%, backlighting OK, but no controls are working. I've checked the voltages on the orange wire,should be 4.7V fluctuating when key pressed -but is only 0.7V and fluctuating around 1.4 to 1.6V as a key is pressed. Info from earlier in this post.
I can see that there are possibly 2 voltage regulators on the PCB - I'm wondering if one is a 5V that feeds the infra red LED driver has failed and is what is giving me problems.
Any help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Ken
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Axle/Gears: don't know

Ask and thou shalt receive
Name:  Radio.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  118.6 KB
Old 06-22-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 89GTAOz
Hi,
This is my first post on 3rd gen,only joined a week ago - hope I'm doing the right thing with replies and postings.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the steering wheel audio control unit for a 3rd gen GTA Trans Am?
Mine is'nt working 100%, backlighting OK, but no controls are working. I've checked the voltages on the orange wire,should be 4.7V fluctuating when key pressed -but is only 0.7V and fluctuating around 1.4 to 1.6V as a key is pressed. Info from earlier in this post.
I can see that there are possibly 2 voltage regulators on the PCB - I'm wondering if one is a 5V that feeds the infra red LED driver has failed and is what is giving me problems.
Any help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Ken
Nice to have you on board! Use the diagram at the top of the page marked "Tom1" What you are lacking is a reading of 12 vdc on the yellow wire on the back of the steering wheel control pad (Plugged in and Ign on)
The yellow wire powers the control pad. More than likely the springs in the turn signal switch have failed meaning they shrank due to heat as they are a part of the circuit. You can try an alternate source for the yellow wire on the back of the pad from your cigarette lighter to see if the pad is functioning and to unlock your radio. I have been working on this type of system since 2008. Trust me, I know this system.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Nice to have you on board! Use the diagram at the top of the page marked "Tom1" What you are lacking is a reading of 12 vdc on the yellow wire on the back of the steering wheel control pad (Plugged in and Ign on)
The yellow wire powers the control pad. More than likely the springs in the turn signal switch have failed meaning they shrank due to heat as they are a part of the circuit. You can try an alternate source for the yellow wire on the back of the pad from your cigarette lighter to see if the pad is functioning and to unlock your radio. I have been working on this type of system since 2008. Trust me, I know this system.

If you find you cannot get the radio unlocked, meaning no fluctuation on the orange wire reading, you may have a faulty control pad or the orange wire is not connected from the bottom of the steering column to the radio. I have several good pads if you need one.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Thankyou for the diagram. Looking at it, I'd say that the fluctuating 1.5V that I see on the orange terminal on the Data Line of the pad would be about right.
The radio is working fine with the controls on the radio itself.
Your suggestion about checking the circuit downstream between the column and the radio sounds a good move. Thanks!
I'll know where to reach you should the pad look like it is faulty for sourcing another.
Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM

Thankyou for the diagram. Looking at it, I'd say that the fluctuating 1.5V that I see on the orange terminal on the Data Line of the pad would be about right.
The radio is working fine with the controls on the radio itself.
Your suggestion about checking the circuit downstream between the column and the radio sounds a good move. Thanks!
I'll know where to reach you should the pad look like it is faulty for sourcing another.
Thanks again!
The control pads don't go bad all that oftern. The most coomon problem is the springs in the turn signal switch. That's why I was asking you to check for 12 volts on the yellow wire on the pad.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM

There is 12V on the yellow wire at the pad's PCB. The grey has 0.25V with the headlights off, and 0.86V with the headlights on. The pad backlighting works fine with the headlights on. These voltages along with the pad illminating sure looks like the pad is getting the right voltage - so this weekend I'll take a look at the radio end of the column.
Many thanks.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM

The problem resides in your control pad. If you have 12 volts there, the voltage on the orange wire would be 4.7 volts. Taking the pad apart carefully, look for corrosion as shown in this pic. If you have to clean it and it still does not work, you need a replacement pad.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-dsc06066.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Hi - thanks for the picture of the problem areas - I'll take a look and resolder if necessary - guess that the joints could go dry after 25 years!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 TTA
Engine: 3.8L Turbo V6 - VIN 7
Transmission: 200R4

Anyone know where to find the connecting end down at the radio for the steering wheel controls? So a connector like the one in the radio for that smaller connector for the steering wheel controls.

I got a aftermarket stereo with the SWI-JACK making the steering wheel controls work and would like a proper connector to plug into the factory plug.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jlarsson
Anyone know where to find the connecting end down at the radio for the steering wheel controls? So a connector like the one in the radio for that smaller connector for the steering wheel controls.

I got a aftermarket stereo with the SWI-JACK making the steering wheel controls work and would like a proper connector to plug into the factory plug.
2 prong connector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-OEM-STOCK-Radio-WIRE-HARNESS-PLUG-1982-UP-/380349142770?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFirebird&hash=item588e9356f2&vxp=mtr
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Veaceonee
Thanks but looking for the 1989 connector (the one in the radio connecting to the 2 pin connector for the steering wheel controls).
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Thanks but looking for the 1989 connector (the one in the radio connecting to the 2 pin connector for the steering wheel controls).
I can make you one. I will get back with you tommorrow.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:18 PM

I can make you one. I will get back with you tommorrow.
PM me with what you have, much appreciated !
Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM

PM me with what you have, much appreciated !
The cost to ship you a connector would be $46.00
Heres the shortcut; Take the CDM module off of the top/back of the radio. You will see the grey connector with a white and a black wire in it. Sometimes there is a brown one which you can ignor. The white connects to your orange wire in the car. The black connects to the black/blue wire in your car.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-dsc09634.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Hello,
I am reading your posts, and hope you have the answers to my problem? It sounds like you know this system very well. I have a 1988 GTA, with steering wheel radio controls. I bought this car, with this problem, the steering wheel controls did not and still don't work. " Only" the mute button. ( to unlock the stereo, "LOC" mode) Now this isn`t working either? My stereo is inoperable!! in LOC mode. Also, my door chime is dinging constantly, when key is out of ignition, doors closed, and engine off? I have to disconnect the battery to make it stop? The stereo itself worked beautiful when I bought the car ( But door chime still was a problem) until I put a new battery in the car over the winter. Now the door chime is constant, (unless car is running with key in ignition, then its off) but, stereo is in LOC mode, and won`t disengage, when I push "mute" on steering wheel now? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Someone told me it is a faulty turn signal switch and cancel cam? I can`t find one anywhere!!!! for an 88 GTA, if its even the problem? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:27 AM

The radio control pad hooks into a yellow disk behind the steering wheel that rides on these "fingers" that stick out of the cancel cam. When I bought my car all the fingers were broken off. The ONLY way to buy a replacement is to get a used one. Look for someone parting a car, and put a post in the Parts Wanted section. I cannot help you with the door chime issue becaue mine has never worked (and I perfectly happy with that).
Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 AM

You could have a problem with the key on switch in the steering column or a door switch. Follow the attached diagrams so troubleshoot your chime and controls problems.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-chime.jpg   Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-swc.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Trying to get my radio unlocked/working. I see RED88GTA's image in #23, but my radio has two white wires on pins 6 and 7 and a brown wire on pin 3. Appreciate any help/suggestions.

EDIT: It appears my radio has 7 pins and RED88GTA's has 5. ugh...did I get wrong radio? If so, is there any way to make this radio work for me?

Last edited by MrPackstin; 10-12-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM

If you have the black connector on the left, it is the wrong radio. The top of the radio will look like the one on the right. I do still have 3 of the GTA radio left, some with new cassette decks. LMK.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-dsc09693.jpg   Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-dsc09695.jpg   Steering wheel radio controls 1988 GTA-dsc09696.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM

Club IROC,
Go back to post #11. Try that first.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 5.7 l98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 9bolt with torsen carrier

Any more info on how to restretch springs to extend the (fingers). Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 AM

You will have to remove the T/S from the car, cut the p.c board off of the switch, re-stretch the springs and glue the board back in place.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:18 PM

If you have the black connector on the left, it is the wrong radio. The top of the radio will look like the one on the right. I do still have 3 of the GTA radio left, some with new cassette decks. LMK.
Howdy , I'm a new member and I seems like you know your GTA Audio very well. I have an 88 GTA Digital Dash, Steering wheel controls, ect. I have had 3 other 3rd gens back when but this is my first GTA. SOME ONE NOT ME spliced into the original wire harness for the factory radio. I have checked a ton of pontiacs at the junk yards but I can not seem to find the correct plug with the correct wire colors to install a factory delco radio this car would havew come with. One plug is still there just some of the wires are cut. Is this plug the double stacked one like in the 97 Gm vehicles.? IS there a specific part number for the plug. I think part of the factory plug is missing. Also I want the factory radio I have found a few on ebay but I'm not 100 % sure they are the exact radio this car needs, PLEASE HELP lol .

Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r4 /borg warner t5

hi
i have bought that kind of radio for my 1990 firebird 3.1 with the airbag steering wheel .is it possible to get it out of the loc mode? because i have no mute butten
can anyone help ?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 AM

Hi red88tagta,
Since we corresponded a few years ago, I've purchased a Service Manual and in the past weeks have realised that my GTA does not have the original radio/cassette unit (the UT4) that it should have - no wonder the steering wheel controls don't work. It is a DelcoLoc II (CD player) - from some other GM car from around 1992.
Anyway - I'd like to put back a UT4 as part of my restoration. You mentioned in this post that you had some of these units - do you still have any available?
Many thanks - 89GTAOz.

Last edited by 89GTAOz; 11-28-2017 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Engine: 5.7

Is there anyway some one could post a picture of the pigtail that plugs into the wires from the radio controls at the bottom of the column? Thanks for any help!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:24 AM

Hi Tim88GTA - Does this help? Regards Ken.

Tim88GTA (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Hi Tim88GTA - Does this help? Regards Ken.
That's awesome! Thank you very much, now I just need a picture of the wiring that connects to that and goes to the radio....
Old 11-19-2019, 04:51 AM

Hi Tim88GTA,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Are you wanting a picture of the connector that contains the steering wheel control signal input to the radio?

There are 3 connectors, 2 for the speakers, power, antenna up/down etc and a third just for the steering wheel control signal.

Regards, Ken.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 PM

I figured out what plug went to the radio control wiring at the bottom of the turn signal cam switch harness and i found the same colored wires where the radio goes. Someone cut all the factory radio plugs before I got the car. The plug pictured above is the one that hooks to the radio control wiring at the back of the radio correct? I'm just trying to make my steering wheel controls work for an aftermarket head unit.

Thanks for your time and help with this.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:03 AM

That plug is the one.
The orange wire is the signal input from the steering wheel control - it connects to the first wire (orange) of the connector I sent you a photo of.
Good luck with your aftermarket head unit - you are probably using one of the conversion units (PAC SWI adapters)?
Ken.
Tim88GTA (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Yeah I guess the converter is my only option. Are the 2 wires in the plug the only ones that come to the radio from the steering wheel controls?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I was very fortunate to have just found this NOS radio for my 88 GTA from a guy with a 15,000 sq ft warehouse full of factory new or refurbished old gm radios.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 93 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 Street Twin
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.90

Originally Posted by Tzych
I was very fortunate to have just found this NOS radio for my 88 GTA from a guy with a 15,000 sq ft warehouse full of factory new or refurbished old gm radios.

jack pot, does he have anymore?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Neil350
jack pot, does he have anymore?
Unfortunately I don’t think any more of this 88 style. Think he has some similar ones though with the lcd on right. His business is called OEM RADIOS
Old 11-08-2023, 01:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac GTA
Engine: 5.7 l98
Axle/Gears: BW 9bolt with torsen carrier

Need a little help on this old post. Put a new horn pad on and steering column. I have power to the gray with headlights on but no power to the yellow my radio isn't currently hooked up would it need to be to have power to the yellow?