Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Factory radio...... what aftermarket speakers can I REALLY use?(10 ohm factory)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc
Engine: 357 Single plane and a Ysi vortech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50 9"
Factory radio...... what aftermarket speakers can I REALLY use?(10 ohm factory)

I have of course searched......

I have a factory 1985 head unit(Cassette with EQ) and have one speaker that is not working at all. I have narrowed it down to the speaker itself, my question is my car originally came with factory 10 ohm speakers. That has me concerned for 2 reasons.

1) I know if I replace the one with an aftermarket speaker I will have to replace all four for the sound level to be correct.

2) Most importantly, I believe that 4 4 ohm speakers would over-work the factory radio and cause issues with it very shortly.

3) I really don't want to take the car apart and install all new speakers!

Advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: Factory radio...... what aftermarket speakers can I REALLY use?(10 ohm factory)

Member mantaguy had his factory subs rebuilt. If you PM him for the name of the company, maybe they could save the old speaker?
The following users liked this post:
johnnyo1967 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo
Re: Factory radio...... what aftermarket speakers can I REALLY use?(10 ohm factory)

If you really want to keep it stock,have them re coned.I restored my entire sound system with OEM 4x6s and I also have the UQ7 Performance Sound System and I could not buy the subs that go with that,so I found a shop that actually had the cones for them and he rebuilt them.Did you ever checkout GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts to see if they are available??
Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

yes, they are no longer available.....
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Replacing front or rear? Not that it will make a huge difference for what I am gonna try to explain to do. Find the speaker of your choosing in my experience the cheaper the speaker the less flashy they will be this will be particularly important on the dash speakers as they are seen if looking threw the windshield. If it's a front speaker a can of satin black spray paint dusted on in many light layers won't effect the performance of the speakers (don't have to tape off anything just remember to dust it on) or just try to buy black speakers. Now order two of these resistors in link below if replacing the front speakers (might as well since the dash is off anyway) or just one if it is a rear speaker and you are only gonna replace the one single speaker.

Resistor
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-0750

So now the wiring of this all. If you wire the resistor in series with the speaker you will get a 8ohm load which is as close to 10 ohm as you will find in my experience and shouldn't effect the stereos built in amp tremendously or be that much of a louder listening level.

Mount the resistor to the frame of the speaker so that the terminals aren't touching metal. The resistor would need to be soldered in on the speakers + side, and the + side of the speaker wire would need to be connected to the resistor which doesn't have a positive or negative. Then from the other terminal on the resistor make a jumper to the + terminal on the speaker. Connect the negative speaker wire to the negative terminal on the speaker. That gives you a 8 ohm load.

I got a sketch/diagram of what I mean it may help if I can ever get it to load.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc convertible
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Name:  imagejpg1_zpscf484987.jpg
Views: 4982
Size:  48.8 KB

It works it's fairly simple and not overly expensive. Another idea is to look for a 04 s10 (possibly other years same vehicle)in a salvage yard. I do believe they had 4x6's in the dash and are a lot easier to come by not nearly as old and should fit the dash relatively painlessly. If you are working on the dash speakers.

Or buy this if you are on the dash area and forget everything else I posted this is a 10 ohm speaker

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Radio-Front-Front-Rear-ACDelco-GM-Original-Equipment-15173233-/111434944235?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f20a4eeb&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Benc1; 08-21-2014 at 11:27 PM.
ZZ42Fast (05-10-2023)
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Thinks for the help.

I THINK I have one. I will use your resister plan too.

I don't listen to the radio too loud in this car anyway.

I do believe the radio is on the way out. It is sometimes going to static, won't play cassettes(have an adapter I was going to use for my aux input), and sometimes just cuts off all together

Anyone still repairing or exchanging these?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Crap, I've never heard of this!

I have a re-manufactured factory CD player coming today that I was going to throw in my 92 GTA. The first one I had I used with my factory speakers. Then I went to a Pioneer head unit and Pioneer speakers.

So from what I'm reading here, if I try to run my factory CD player with these aftermarket speakers, it may destroy the head unit?!

I kept all of my factory speaker which were mint and work perfectly but the aftermarket ones just sound a bit better...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

Well, a 4 ohm speaker uses more power than an 8 ohm speaker......... So, if loud for long times, potentially!

Are your factory speakers 4 or 8 ohm?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Well, a 4 ohm speaker uses more power than an 8 ohm speaker......... So, if loud for long times, potentially!

Are your factory speakers 4 or 8 ohm?
Hmmm, I'll pull them out and read the back tonight when I get home, I have no clue.

These are the aftermarket speakers I have now I was planning on leaving in and running with the factory CD player, Pioneer TS-G4642R 4x6s and Pioneer TS-A6962R 6x9.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I do believe the radio is on the way out. It is sometimes going to static, won't play cassettes(have an adapter I was going to use for my aux input), and sometimes just cuts off all together

Anyone still repairing or exchanging these?
Yes, I think this guy does.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ro-radios.html

Some of the what you're describing is from either cold solder joints or old dried out capacitors. The solder joints sometimes crack as they age which causes the components to lose their connections hence the cutting out and static. If you know or can learn how to solder you can re-heat the solder along with some flux to re-flow it back to the way it was.
Tape decks are a little more tricky. most of the time the rollers dry out, but you would have to find a supplier for the parts. Many are bypassing the tape and adding an aux adapter plug to the deck. I think the member above does that as well.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: V8 5.0L HO (L69)
Transmission: B&W T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

The original speakers in my '89 parts car were all 4 ohms, she had the UX1 radio (cassette with EQ). I'm using the two 4x6" front ones in my '84 with the older UU6 Cassette with EQ unit right now, works just fine. I wanted to use the rear 6x9" but I broke one when removing the connector
Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

You're way over thinking the impedance factor here.

There's zero need to add resistors.

You don't need to replace all 4, just replace in pairs.

The only time a lower impedance becomes an issue is when playing the system at high levels for long periods.

The higher load will keep the amplifier in the radio cooler, but will limit output. When putting a 4 ohm speaker on the radio, it may run a bit warmer, it will have more output at a lower volume level.

I've installed countless 4 ohm speakers on original systems that originally used 10 ohm speakers (usually only rears are 10 ohm for some reason), and it's never been an issue in reliability of the OEM radio.
The following 2 users liked this post by Six_Shooter:
Oregon viking (02-23-2023), scfbody (08-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Flame Red/Carmine Red GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4

What makes a speaker's volume per amount of wattage flowing into it is its sensitivity rating. The figure given on speakers is from a decibel measurement of a 1kHz tone taken 1 meter away and driven at 1 watt.

Impedance is not simply resistance. This figure is the resistance across the coil of a 1kHz signal. Inductors (coils) basically restrict how quickly an electrical signal can change direction, so when you throw different frequencies at them, they will change their resistance.

Most amplifiers aren't that finnicky about impedance. Just look at amps that offer specs. They call drive a very wide range of impedances. All that changes is the amount of power they can deliver, which decreases as impedance decreases.

If anything, an aftermarket speaker will take less power to be as loud as a factory speaker, because they are likely more sensitive. Usually around 90 decibels. So to deliver a noise that would damage your hearing, the radio only has to put out 1 watt to each speaker. And remember, each speaker would be giving out 90 decibels, and there are four of them.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: V8 5.0L HO (L69)
Transmission: B&W T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 limited slip

Ok nevermind what I said earlier, the front ones are 10 ohms, not 4 like the rear.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have of course searched......

I have a factory 1985 head unit(Cassette with EQ) and have one speaker that is not working at all. I have narrowed it down to the speaker itself, my question is my car originally came with factory 10 ohm speakers. That has me concerned for 2 reasons.

1) I know if I replace the one with an aftermarket speaker I will have to replace all four for the sound level to be correct.

2) Most importantly, I believe that 4 4 ohm speakers would over-work the factory radio and cause issues with it very shortly.

3) I really don't want to take the car apart and install all new speakers!

Advice is appreciated!

Thanks
Which speaker is not working? Right side? I can say from experience, it's probably the radio and not a bad speaker.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Jeep GMC hearse 57 f2504wheel
Engine: Wich 1

Originally Posted by Benc1
Replacing front or rear? Not that it will make a huge difference for what I am gonna try to explain to do. Find the speaker of your choosing in my experience the cheaper the speaker the less flashy they will be this will be particularly important on the dash speakers as they are seen if looking threw the windshield. If it's a front speaker a can of satin black spray paint dusted on in many light layers won't effect the performance of the speakers (don't have to tape off anything just remember to dust it on) or just try to buy black speakers. Now order two of these resistors in link below if replacing the front speakers (might as well since the dash is off anyway) or just one if it is a rear speaker and you are only gonna replace the one single speaker.

Resistor
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-0750

So now the wiring of this all. If you wire the resistor in series with the speaker you will get a 8ohm load which is as close to 10 ohm as you will find in my experience and shouldn't effect the stereos built in amp tremendously or be that much of a louder listening level.

Mount the resistor to the frame of the speaker so that the terminals aren't touching metal. The resistor would need to be soldered in on the speakers + side, and the + side of the speaker wire would need to be connected to the resistor which doesn't have a positive or negative. Then from the other terminal on the resistor make a jumper to the + terminal on the speaker. Connect the negative speaker wire to the negative terminal on the speaker. That gives you a 8 ohm load.

I got a sketch/diagram of what I mean it may help if I can ever get it to load.

call me stupid but I need same advice 68 impala radio 8/10 ohm going with whole system but its slots pices I already bought..NEED ADVICE ..CARKRAZY@GMX.COM THANKS
Old 01-09-2022, 07:59 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
Old 05-10-2023, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual

The link is old for the recommended resistor. Any ideas what a modern equivalent would be? Thanks
Old 05-10-2023, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ42Fast
The link is old for the recommended resistor. Any ideas what a modern equivalent would be? Thanks
I have the same question. I *think* this will work. Would be great if someone could confirm.

T Tulead Yellow Wirewound Resistors 100W Mouted Resistor 4 Ohm Pack of 4 https://a.co/d/4OYibW1
ZZ42Fast (05-12-2023)