Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Door sound deadening opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Door sound deadening opinions

I'm putting 6.5" separates into the car and the tweets are going in the factory dash location and the 6.5's into the doors. Already have it fabbed (tight fit with power windows) but will work without spacers.

These doors are "tin" and "hollow" sounding.

So aside from the rattle fixes, I bought the "dynamat" similar from Home Depot. Looks easy enough to apply to the inner door surface but the back of the outer skin seems hard to reach.

Some videos have guys spraying "flex seal" heavy rubber coating behind the outer skin and then using mat only on the inner door panel.

Some put mat on everything even the backside of the door cards.

I don't need it to be perfect, just 95% good. (It's a convertible). Want the door speaker to be able to do its thing.

Looking for thoughts/opinions.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: TT LC9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.50
Re: Door sound deadening opinions

I brushed bed liner onto the inner surfaces of mine. It's easier to do with all the guts removed.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

What do they offer now? It's been a while and the last I heard folks were buying the "peel and seal" stuff and there is much better out there for a similar price. Not sure what you bought but here's a pretty good comparison video of the Peel and Seal verses the least expensive "real" butyl dampener that I know of.

Plus, the Noico comes in sheets that makes it easier to cover the hard to get to outer door skin. I always cover the inner and outer skin totally with the dampener. If i know of areas on the door card that was vibrating before, I'll throw a little at it as well. In my G8 GT I had to cover most of the door card, in my old Thunderbird I didn't use any dampener on the door card just some sheets of closed cell foam. I also put about an 8x8 sheet of closed cell foam on the outside door skin directly behind the speaker to resist sound reflection. Doing so really does make a huge improvement in midbass output.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Dynamat and the like are vibration dampening, not sound dampening.
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I use mass loaded vinyl for sound deadening, and in my diesel I am going to use some lead sheet to dampen the noise even more.