Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Jim85IROC and others - MTX T610X3 Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim85IROC and others - MTX T610X3 Opinions

I've been reading alot of the posts on this board and I have had my stereo installed in my '91 RS for a long time.

I was wondering what the opinions were on the MTX enclosure using three of their Thunder6000 10" subs. Has anyone actually used it in a third-gen? I've heard a version a few years old in a Honda Passport and it sounded pretty good.

Jim, do you have any SPL data for the boxes you build? I'm curious how the dual sub box performs as well as the box you made with the single JL 12". I really like the layout and finish of the single 12" box. A friend has a custom box in his firebird which hit around 140dB, but I don't know all the details.

Some background on my stereo stuff. I know I'm a despised minority by running a plate (sealed as best as I can without permanently afixing it to the car) with two free-air 12" Cerwin Vega subs. However, I have yet to hear anything which sounds enough better to justify the extended $$$ outlay in the 8 years I've run the plate. Even against my brothers custom ported box with dual 10" Rockford Power subs. It sounds great, but $$ vs. increase, I'm not convinced. Having said that, when I am, I'll be ready to buy.

The rest of my system consists of a Sony Mobile ES CD head unit (CDXC860, I believe) as well as two 5 year old (better) Rockford Fosgate Punch Amps (200x2 and 120x4), MB Quart 6.5" separates in Audioforms sealed door pods and bandpassed 5.25" Kickers in the rear for fill. I admit, the weakest link in my stereo is probably my sub set-up.

I appreciate any input and respect the opinions and experience of others.

Thanks,
Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt_91RSTPI (edited June 22, 2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 12:27 AM

Car: '89 TA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M5
Just my opinion:
I've been around the MTX tri-box for about three years now at work (CC) and if I COULD fit the box NICELY into my bird(s), I would have already...

It's my favorite sounding mass-production box hands down. We wedged one in a 4th gen Camaro one night to see how it sounded: I loved it.

I know there's WAY better combo-boxes out there, but as far as mass-produced goes, i like it.

------------------
http://www.tcnj.edu/~esposit3
[URL=https://www.thirdgen.org/rides/index.tgo?action=view&rideid=1137[/URL]
  • '89 Trans AM, 305 TPI, 5-spd
  • '86 Firebird, 2.8, Auto
AOL IM Name: JimmyTime5
Old 06-23-2001, 09:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Matt, I have no experience of any kind with the MTX stuff of late, but my experience in the past has been that in general, the MTX stuff is in the same league as the Rockford & Kicker style stuff.

As for my boxes, the SPL depends on many factors, the box being only one of them. As long as the box is of sufficient quality and is the proper size for the subs, it becomes "transparent" or at least it should if it's built right. The SPL capabilities then lie with your equipment. With my prototype box in my firebird, I hit 141.1dB when I popped my 100 amp breaker. Had the system been set up for SPL (I drove it there, played it, drove it home. No adjustments at all) and had been "burped" instead of played with a constant tone, I'm guessing that 145-148 would have been attainable. This was done with Oz 300L 12" subs, which are NOT an SPL oriented sub. Using a heavy duty rockford, orion or some other sub designed for SPL would have put me much higher. Since that was my first box (hence the prototype) it did not have the fit and finish, nor did it have the rigidity of my new boxes. But, I have yet to get my new boxes metered. I've currently got a pair of 10" Rockford HE2 subs for my GTA, and when powered by my Kicker amp, I'm expecting to be right at or near 140dB, and hopefully still in the high 130s with the Rockford 360a2 that will usually power it. We'll see I guess!

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 06-24-2001, 10:41 AM

impressive numbers! Is the prototype box the box with one JL Sub in it??

kev