Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

rebuilding my 600c.f.m. carter to a 650-is it worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding my 600c.f.m. carter to a 650-is it worth the effort?

i just went out and brought a carb rebuild kit for my 600c.f.m. carter. My engine doesen't have alot of miles on it (30,000 on rebuilt 305),But my car sits alot,I drive it maybe 1 time a week. I was thinking of buying the carter strip kit that they have in summit and makeing the carb a 625 or 650,I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the effort.Will i be able to get more power out of the car by makeing it bigger,Or am i just going to make it a gas hog?My main purpose of going bigger is for more power.I am also replaceing the stock pump with a carter high-volume mechanical pump.And with a carb that is 625 or 650 c.f.m.,How much will this effect my gas mileage? Will a bigger carb make my engine responsivness sluggish when i'm comeing out of the hole?-Thanks for any and all help.

------------------
82 firebird with 305H.O.,Block bored .30 over,Keith black hyperutectic flat top pistons for 10 to 1 compression,Turned crank,Magnafluxed connecting rods,Melling H.V. oil pump,and double roller timeing chain,Ported and shaved heads w/3angle valve job,Z-28springs,Summit push rods and comp cams magnum roller rockers,Ported Edelbrock performer r.p.m.intake,Carter 625 afbcarb,Accell spark plugs,wires,and H.E.I.super coil,Heavy duty cap and rotor,Clevite performance cam with 450-460 inches of lift,Comp cams lifters,700r-4 tranny rebuilt with trans-go rebuild kit,corvette servo,New torQue converter,Flowtech headers,Flowmaster muffler,3.73limited slip rear end,Energy suspension bushings from front to rear,Energy suspension tranny mount,New center link,ball joints,trans-am steering box,ASP power pully.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:14 PM

Gosh,Thanks for the help guys,Always good to know that i can come to this board for it's "wealth" of info.Damn,This site sucks.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I could probably be convicted of an "over-posting" charge, so I try to avoid topics of which I don't have direct personal experience (or at least friends who have been through, whatever).

Since I: a) have never owned an Edelbrock or Carter AFB carb, b) dealt with or talked to someone who has, c) don't have a clue how a "strip kit", which is rods and jets, could increase the flow of a carb, or d) couldn't say how such a small CFM increase would affect fuel economy, I did not: a) spread my ignorance, or b) lead you astray by attempting to "help" you.

Consider the following: a) in the topic, you say you have a 600 Carter, but your sig says 625; b) in general, engine CFM requirements has been addressed in several posts, so a search would probably give you plenty of info regarding your issues, and c) this is more of a trial-and-error process than a plug-and-play science. Also, I'm writing this during lunch at work, my plastic fork handle just broke off while trying to cut a chunk off my cafeteria burrito, so I don't think I'll give this any more of my time...

May you find a board that is more to your liking. Come back one more time when you find it to let us all in on your little secret.

------------------
82 Berlinetta, orig V-6 car, now w/86 LG4/TH700R4. 2.93 limited slip. Cat-back from '91 GTA, Accel HEI SuperCoil. AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Daily driver, work-in-progress (LG4 w/'87 LB9 block, ZZ3 cam and intake, World 305 heads, Hooker headers & y-pipe, 3" Catco cat & 3" cat-back).
57 Bel Air, my 1st car. 0.030 over 396, 9.7 CR forged TRWs, Weiand Action+, Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet, GK 270 cam, Magnum rockers, Jacobs Omnipack, 1-3/4" Hedders & 3" Warlock header mufflers, TH400 w/TCI Sat Night Special conv & Trans-Scat shift kit, LT MegaShifter, 3.08 8.2" 10-bolt w/Powertrax, AMSOIL syn lubes bumper-to-bumper. Best 15.1/95.5 @ 5800' Bandimere.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:45 PM

I'm just venting because i've noticed since this board has re-done it's format i can never seem to get a answer to ANY of my questions,No matter what the question is,And as far as the carb size in my sig,That was a mistake on my part,But hey i can always hope to grow up and become a rocket scientist just like you 5.7 kid,That way i can give such "witty" ansewrs like you do.

------------------
82 firebird with 305H.O.,Block bored .30 over,Keith black hyperutectic flat top pistons for 10 to 1 compression,Turned crank,Magnafluxed connecting rods,Melling H.V. oil pump,and double roller timeing chain,Ported and shaved heads w/3angle valve job,Z-28springs,Summit push rods and comp cams magnum roller rockers,Ported Edelbrock performer r.p.m.intake,Carter 625 afbcarb,Accell spark plugs,wires,and H.E.I.super coil,Heavy duty cap and rotor,Clevite performance cam with 450-460 inches of lift,Comp cams lifters,700r-4 tranny rebuilt with trans-go rebuild kit,corvette servo,New torQue converter,Flowtech headers,Flowmaster muffler,3.73limited slip rear end,Energy suspension bushings from front to rear,Energy suspension tranny mount,New center link,ball joints,trans-am steering box,ASP power pully.
Old 06-27-2001, 08:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by firebird305:
i can never seem to get a answer to ANY of my questions</font>
Remarkable
Old 06-28-2001, 02:52 PM

I'm just venting ... But hey i can always hope to grow up and become a rocket scientist just like you 5.7 kid,That way i can give such "witty" ansewrs like you do.
</font>
Well, growing up is a life-long process. As the saying goes, "I may get older, but I refuse to grow up."

In the last 24 hours, I finally got my q-jet on the '57 to run like I've wanted it to, cut the best times of its life. That made me happy. The guy who pitted next to me last night at "Test & Tune" was running 18's in his '67 Camaro 396 TH400 and was cussin' his Edelbrock 1407 - he finally figured out the mechanical choke was flopping around and closing on him, ran a 15.4 when he tied that open - that made him happier, but he's still slower than my 600 lb heavier car. Also in the last 24 hours, I double-checked the Carter strip kit in Summit, it doesn't change the CFM of the carb.

Accept my apologies for getting "witty" on you, then get the strip kit and tune the guts out of that AFB. The kit will have more than you need, but it will have everything you need - how's that for real world advice? The 600 CFM will most likely do your 305 proud in all respects, which should make the $50 spend worth it.

For the record, I'm a rocket engineer, not a rocket scientist.

And, it's 5-7, like fifty-seven, as in 1957 Chevy, not 5.7 as in 5.7 liter - but, hey, no biggie - I've been called worse...
Old 06-29-2001, 12:45 AM

like i said before,I was just mad,I really like this board and i do enjoy comeing here,I was just so frustated about what to do about this carb,that guy you referred to probably feels the same way i do,He KNOWS that his car will run faster,But his carb is holding him back,That's kinda how i feel.Thanks for the advice i was thinking of doing just that,Haveing to change out the throttle plates sounds a little bit to involved for me. thanks for the help.I see you got a cool job too!!

------------------
Old 07-05-2001, 09:26 PM

[B}I see you got a cool job too!![/B]</font>
Yeah, it's a cool job. However, it has me in Florida for the second time in a month, keeping me away from spending time in my "therapy room" for over three weeks so far this summer (more to come in August & September). But, it allows me to HAVE a therapy room...

[This message has been edited by five7kid (edited July 21, 2001).]